- Text Size +

 

Whatever It Takes

By Dottie

Copyright 2012

 

Chapter 05

 

                Penelope wakes up early Sunday morning firmly wrapped in Nick's arms. She sighs, memorizing the feel of his body pressed firmly against hers.  She knows the minute he starts to wake up. His breathing changes and his body shifts against hers.  Turning partially on his side, he slides his leg up over hers and whispers, "Good morning, Penelope."

            She kisses his chest and says, "Good morning Nick."

Settling his head against hers, he says, "How do you feel?"

            She says, "Honestly?  Happy."

            She can hear the smile in his voice when he says, "Good."

            She says, "Thank you, Nick. For last night. For...defending me."

            He says, "Baby, don't you EVER thank me for that. I knew it was your mother, but the toxic venom she was spewing at you was too much. I had to say something."

            She says, "I don't know how I can face her again."

            He says, "You don't have to." When he hears her sigh, he tilts her face up to his and says, "What?"

            She says, "I love my Father, and I love Juliette. How can I hate my mother so much?"

            He says, "She asks for it.  Baby, I'm sorry, but she doesn't deserve your love. I don't know how your father can stand to be with her and her that vile."

            She says, "Now you know how I feel. I grew up wishing he'd divorce her and take me away."

            Nick kisses her forehead and says, "I can take you away, Sweetheart. And I will."

            She hugs him tightly and they lay quietly together.  Nick finally says, "Penelope..."

            She says, "What?"

            He says, "You know I love you no matter what, right?"

            She tilts her head back and says, "I do Nick. I may not understand it sometimes, but after what you did yesterday, I know it's true."

            He says, "Then, remember that when I make this offer, ok?"  She nods and he says, "IF you want to...and I do mean YOU, this is YOUR decision, ok?" She nods again, confused.  He says, "If you want to have the scars removed, Penelope, I can take care of it for you."

            Her eyes fall and he feels like a complete jerk. He says, "Baby, please don't be upset. You don't have to. I love you exactly the way you are."

            She brings her eyes back to his and whispers, "It really doesn't bother you?"

            He says, "Penelope, it's never EVER bothered me! I swear!!  I just hate that you let it control you. It's NOT who you are. If making it go away helps you feel better about yourself, then do it. Let me help you do it. But don't let it keep you hiding from the world."

            They stare at each other for a few minutes. Finally, she says, "Can I think about it?"

            He says, "Of course. You're not mad at me, are you?"

            She smiles at him. A smile that makes his heart beat faster. She whispers, "No, I'm not mad. I'm overwhelmed and deeply touched, Nick. I just..."

            He puts his finger over her lips and says, "Shh.  It's ok. Just think about it.  I love you and I only want you to be happy and secure in that love. Nothing about you has to change for me Baby. I love you just the way you are."

            They snuggle up closer and Penelope closes her eyes.  Just as they are drifting off to sleep, Nick's phone rings.  He rolls over and answers it with a groggy "Hello? Hey, Jenn, what's up?"

Jenn says, "Who is Penelope Evans and why is someone calling ME looking for HER who is supposedly with YOU?"

Nick groans and says, "She's my girlfriend, why?  Who called?"

 Jenn says, "Someone named Donald Evans? What's going on Nick?"

Nick says, "I'll explain later. That was her Dad. Thanks Jenn."

            After he hangs up, Penelope says, "Daddy called?"

            Nick says, "Yeah. Jenn says he was quite upset. Want to call him?" She's really shocked when he holds out his phone for her to call.

            She takes it and says, "If I call from your phone, they'll have your number."

            He says, "No they won't. It will come up unknown. Go ahead."

            She dials the phone as Nick rubs her back. When her dad answers, she says, "Hey Daddy, it's me."

            He says, "Penelope, where are you? Why aren't you at home?"

            She says, "Nick told you last night he was bringing me home with him. What do you want Daddy?"

            He says, "Punkin, I wanted to make sure you're ok."

            Fighting back tears, she says, "I'm fine Daddy. Nick's been very good to me." Nick squeezes her tighter and she kisses his shoulder.

            Her father says, "Penelope, I'm sorry about what you're mother said. She's...she didn't mean it."

            Sighing, Penelope says, "Yes she did, Daddy. She's already told me she regrets adopting me. Yesterday was just the final nail in the coffin. I can't...Daddy I just can be around her anymore, I'm sorry."

            She hears the sadness in his voice when he says, "Punkin, I love you. I hope you know that. And I'm proud of you."

            She sniffles and says, "I love you too Daddy. I just wish I knew why Mother hates me so much."

            He says, "Sweetheart, she doesn't hate you...she just..."

            Penelope says, "She does, Daddy. And it's ok. I've spent my whole life trying to be what she wanted.  She can't accept me for who I am. But Nick does."

            Her father says, "I like your how your Nick defended you, young lady. And from what I found out, he's a decent young man."

            She groans and says, "Daddy, you didn't!"

            He chortles and says, "You know I did. I'll not have you hurt again. But he seems ok."

            She says, "Daddy, he's a wonderful man. You could have just ASKED if you wanted to know about him." Nick looks down at her face as she looks up at him. She can tell by the smile on his face he's not mad.

            Her father says, "Penelope, will you come by the office this week to see me? And bring Nick. Maybe for lunch? I owe the young man an apology."

            She says, "I'll ask him Daddy and call you Monday, ok?"

            He says, "Good. I'll talk to you then. And Penelope?"

            She says, "Yes, Daddy?"

            He says, "You looked very beautiful yesterday. And very happy. I'm pleased."

            Before she can reply he hangs up. She turns off Nick's phone and lays her head on his shoulder, letting her father's words sink in.  Nick takes the phone and says, "You ok, Penelope?"

            She says, "Yeah. Daddy wanted to apologize. He'd like us to come to his office for lunch next week so he can apologize to you."

            Nick says, "I'm free Monday and Tuesday. But the fellas are coming in to town for a meeting with a record producer. We're gonna record the rest of the week."

            She says, "But AJ's already here."

            Nick says, "He came early to shop. AJ's a shop-a-holic."

            She says, "I used to be."

            He says, "Why don't we go shopping with him this afternoon?  Spend the afternoon on Fifth Avenue?"

            She bites her lip and starts to say no. Then she thinks about what her father said...she looks happy. She is happy. She says, "Do you think he'll mind?"

            Nick's smile speaks volumes. He pushes her onto her back and kisses her deeply before saying, "Are you kidding? AJ loved you. He'll be ecstatic you're willing to shop with him."

            She says, "Then maybe I should shower and go to my place for something to wear."

            He says, "You could...or I could make love to you, then we can shower together, then go by your place for clean clothes before we meet AJ for lunch."

            She slides her fingers through his hair and whispers, "You have the best ideas."

 

            At 1:30, they meet AJ at the Fifth Avenue Diner for lunch. He shakes Nick's hand then pulls Penelope into a bear hug and says, "I'm so glad you're gonna shop with me. I hate shopping alone and I knew Nick would never leave you alone."

            When they are seated, she says, "Why wouldn't he leave me alone?"

            AJ says, "Sweetheart, you're gorgeous. If you were MY girl, I wouldn't leave you alone to go shopping."

            She blushes and lowers her eyes. Nick laughs and says, "Behave yourself AJ, or I'll tell your mom."

            He chuckles and says, "Trust me, she'd KILL for me to find a girl like yours." He turns to Penelope and says, "My mom can't wait to meet you."

            Looking confused she says, "Why?"

            AJ laughs and says, "Any woman special enough to make Nick move from Cali to New York my mom wants to meet."

            Penelope looks to Nick who says, "Remember when I told you we would compare moms?" When she nods, he says, "Well, I spent a long time telling everyone AJ's mom was mine ‘cause I hated mine so much."

            Picking up her glass of water, she says, "Then I guess I'll start telling everyone she's mine too."

            AJ says, "What, you don't like your mom?"

            Nick looks at Penelope. She shrugs and says, "I was adopted AJ.  I don't know who my birth mother is, but my adopted mother has made it perfectly clear I'm a bitter disappointment.  Just ask Nick, he found out first hand last night."

            Nick says, "Let's not spoil such a monumental day talking about last night." Looking at AJ, he says, "What are we shopping for today?"

            Their lunch is filled with laughing and jokes and Nick sees for the first time since he met her, she's completely at ease. When she excuses herself to go to the bathroom, AJ says, "What the hell happened last night? She's like a different person."

            Nick says, "Man, you think my mother was a bitch, you should meet hers. She flat out told Penelope I had to be after her money because who would want her scarred the way she is."

            AJ whistles and says, "I bet you blew a gasket."

            Nick says, "I actually remained civil. But I also told them I was taking her home with me and if they wanted to speak to her, they had to go through Jenn."

            AJ says, "What about her Dad?"

            Nick says, "He's a nice man. He does love Penelope."

            When she comes back, she knows they are talking about her. She says, "Want me to leave again so you can finish?"

            AJ laughs and says, "Not necessary. I was just telling Nick that hopefully you'll have dinner with the group on Thursday night."

            She says, "I think something is going on Thursday at school." Pulling out her date book, she says, "OH yeah...the eclipse."

            Nick says, "What?"

            I say, "There's an eclipse Thursday night. Some of the students will be meeting at the school to watch through the telescope."  She fingers the pages of her calendar and says, "If you want, after dinner, you could all join me and watch from there too. There will only be like ten students."

            AJ and Nick look at each other, and then AJ says, "All of us? Howie and Brian too?"          

            She nods and says, "If you're interested. The eclipse happens around 11:30, so...we could go early. I could show you around." Looking at Nick, she says, "Want to see the Big Dipper through the telescope?"

            He smiles at her and says, "I'd love it. And I think Howie and Brian will enjoy themselves too."

            AJ says, "Hey, can I bring Sage?"

            Penelope says, "Who's Sage?"

            AJ says, "My girlfriend.  Kind of. We've been dating a couple of months."

            Nick can see the nervousness on Penelope's face and he takes her hand, squeezing it. He gives her the strength to say, "Sure, the more the merrier."

            Nick says, "Well, then Brian will want to bring Lisa and Howie will want to bring Pepper too. Make it a REAL party."

            AJ wrinkles his nose and says, "Does Howie HAVE to bring Pepper?"

            Nick chuckles and says, "We didn't like all of YOUR girlfriends either, AJ. Gotta deal with it."

            Penelope says, "Pepper?"

            AJ grins and says, "Stage name. She's a stripper."

            Penelope says, "Oh. OK."

            Nick says, "We don't get it either. Other than she's got really big..."

            AJ says, "NICK! Let's not discuss her attributes!"

            Penelope laughs and says, "I may be a bit naïve, AJ, but I'm not stupid."

            Nick leans closer to her and whispers, "No, you're definitely not stupid."

            AJ says, "Well she can't be a rocket scientist, she chose YOU!"

            Penelope can't help but laugh as they start a food fight. Even though Nick is flinging fries at AJ, on the inside his heart is soaring as he watches Penelope laugh. She's really happy. And she's all his.

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Hope you're still enjoying the story! :)