- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

I hope you still enjoy the story!! :)

 

Lost and Found

By Dottie

Copyright 2012

 

Chapter 06

 

            On Tuesday, Nick and Penelope have lunch with her father.  When they are shown into his office, he hugs Penelope tightly and says, "I'm really sorry Punkin." Turning to Nick, he says, "I want to apologize for how Kat acted. I can't even come up with a good excuse."

            Nick says, "I'm sorry if I overstepped my bounds, but your daughter means a great deal to me. I won't let anyone hurt her."

            After eyeing Nick for a minute, he says, "I like you Nick. Call me Don."

            Lunch was a huge success in Penelope's book. She was kind of quiet, letting her dad and Nick get to know each other.  After they finish eating, her father says, "Nick, if you don't mind, I would like to speak to Penelope privately."

            Nick holds his hand out to shake Don's hand and says, "Thank you for lunch. And for not being angry that I took her home with me."

            Don laughs and says, "Young man, even if I was angry, Penelope is a grown woman. She stopped listening to me a long time ago."

            Penelope blushes and says, "You know, I'm sitting right here Daddy."

            He says, "I know that, Punkin."

            Nick laughs and says, "I'll wait outside."

            After he kisses Penelope's cheek and leaves, her father says, "Punkin, you look happy. Is he good to you?"

            She smiles and says, "He's wonderful Daddy." She lowers her eyes and kind of points to her face and says, "THIS doesn't bother him at all."

            Her Dad puts his hand on her shoulder and says, "Punkin, let me help you with that."

            She looks up and says, "No, Daddy. I won't give Mother another reason to yell at you or me." She glances away before saying, "Nick said he would help me if I wanted to get rid of the scars."

            He says, "And what did you say?"

            She sighs and says, "I hate the scars Daddy. But I'm afraid. I don't want...what if it just gets worse?"

            Her father says, "Penelope, listen to me. I didn't get where I am in this world by taking unnecessary risks. If you want to do this, I'll make sure you have the very best doctor. I wouldn't trust just anyone with my little girl." He sits beside her and says, "Will you let me help you with this? I know Nick said he would but it's my job Penelope." When she doesn't say anything, he says, "Sweetheart, I was supposed to protect you and you got hurt. I'm so sorry."

            She looks into his eyes and that's when she realizes he's always blamed himself. She cries and hugs him, saying, "Daddy, it wasn't your fault."

            After a few minutes of quiet deliberation, she whispers, "I'd like you to help me, Daddy."

            He sits back and says, "What about Nick?"

            She smiles and says, "He says I don't have to do it, he loves me like this. I want to surprise him."

            Her father hugs her and says, "I'll find a doctor and we'll take it from there. OK?"

            She nods and hugs him once more before leaving. When she and Nick make it outside, he stops her and says, "Is everything ok?"

            She looks up at him and says, "Sure, why?"

            He says, "You seem preoccupied. He didn't like me, did he?"

            She smiles and says, "He does, Nick. He was...apologizing."

            Nick takes her hand as they walk out to her car and says, "For what? He didn't do anything wrong."

            When they step outside, Penelope sees 3 young men that used to be her friends walking in.  All of them stare at her, not speaking.  When she lowers her head, Nick's heart breaks for her.  Keeping her close, he leads her to her car, not mentioning what just happened.

            Once at the car, he tilts her face up to meet his gaze and says, "Don't do that, Penelope. You're beautiful just the way you are."

            She tries to smile and whispers, "Thank you, Nick."

            He kisses her gently before asking, "Want to skip work this afternoon and hang out at the studio with me and AJ?"

            He thinks she'll say no.  Instead, she says, "I have the afternoon off. Professor Allen doesn't have class on Tuesdays so I only have to work half a day."

            Nick says, "And what do you do with the other half day?"

            She says, "I usually worked it too. But I don't have to...if you really want..."

            He smiles and says, "Come on. You can watch me work."

            She giggles and says, "You love to sing. You know it's not work for you."

 

            She lets him drive and when AJ sees her with Nick, he can't help but feel that his friend has FINALLY found the one. And he's got to admit, he loves having her around. She's a good balance for Nick.  A bit shy, but she's opening up.  When they come into the studio, AJ hugs her and says, "Goody. Someone to tell me how much BETTER than Nick I am."

            She looks at him skeptically and says, "Are you better than Nick?"

            Nick laughs at AJ's stunned expression.  Then Penelope starts giggling and blushing when AJ says, "Go out to dinner with just ME and I'll prove it!"

            Nick is leaning against a sound board and pulls Penelope between his legs as he says, "Go get your own woman, AJ. This one is mine!"

            AJ loves how Penelope snuggles against Nick. They are a perfect fit, even though he's a foot taller than her.  Maybe this is what he needs. Someone to protect. He's certainly doing a bang up job after the grief her mother gave her. He's never seen Nick so in love.

            When Eddie, the sound guy, comes in, Penelope feels a little tense. Nick squeezes her gently and whispers, "I love you Penelope."

            She turns her face to him and says, "I love you too."

            Raising his voice, Nick says, "Eddie, this is my girlfriend, so make sure we sound good."

            Eddie laughs and says, "Hey, I can only do so much. Get your asses in there and let's see if you still got it."

            After AJ and Nick leave the room, Eddie says, "Penelope, I don't know what happened and I won't ask, but trust me, that little scar is nothing. You don't have to be afraid around me, ok?"

            She nods and says, "I'm sorry."

            He says, "Don't be...you should have seen me a few years ago. I was in a bike accident.  My face was all messed up. Luckily, after I was all healed up, I found a good plastic surgeon who made me look more human again."

            She says, "I didn't...you don't look like you've been hurt."

            He says, "Amazing what make up and tattoos will cover. Don't sweat it, P.  That boy loves you. And you are beautiful."

 

            In the studio, Nick and AJ are talking quietly. AJ says, "Do you think she's gonna be mad?"

            Nick sighs and says, "If she finds out we set it up, she'll be furious. Man, I wanted to punch those dudes today that were staring at her. I mean, yeah I stare, but my God, she's gorgeous.  They were giving her that pity look she hates so much."

            AJ says, "You know, just the shock of it, it's hard not to stare...and I do feel sorry for her. But you have to get past the surface. She's an amazing girl, Nick."

            Nick looks through the glass and watches Penelope as Eddie gives her a crash course on the sound board. He says, "AJ, I love her. I've never felt this way about anyone."

            AJ slaps his back and says, "Then don't fuck it up."

            Penelope looks up and sees Nick watching her. She smiles at him and he smiles back. He says, "I don't plan on it AJ. I think she's the one."

 

            After listening to Nick and AJ sing, Penelope is amazed.  When they come out of the studio for AJ to take a smoke break, she says, "Nick...you're incredible."

            He blushes and says, "Nah, don't tell AJ but he is better than me."

            She says, "No, he's not. He's different, and he's good, but not better than you."

            Eddie says, "You're not a fan?"

            Blushing, Penelope says, "I grew up listening to classical music.  I never really paid attention to popular music, which is sad because look what I was missing."

            Eddie says, "Then I think I have something here you might like." He hands her a stack of CDs and says, "This is all their stuff they have recorded with me. Some is Nick alone, some is him with the other guys. Enjoy them."

            Penelope looks at the CDs then up to Eddie and says, "For real?"

            He smiles and says, "Yes. Those are yours."

            She looks up at Nick and he says, "I really hope there's SOMETHING on those you like."

            She leans against him and says, "I can't wait to hear them." Turning to Eddie, she says, "Thank you SO much."

            He smiles and says, "Don't mention it. Feel free to come back anytime you want. I'll even let you mix one of the songs yourself."

 

            AJ and Nick sing for another two hours, then AJ announces he has a date. After hugging Penelope tightly, he says, "Looking forward to Thursday."

            She smiles and says, "Me too. And AJ?"  When he turns back to look at her from the door, she says, "You're good. But Nick's still better."

            He clutches his heart and says, "OH NO!"  Penelope giggles and he says, "You'll pay for that girly! Later!"

            When they walk out to her car, Nick says, "AJ loves you, you know that?"

            She smiles and says, "He's such a sweet guy. What's his girlfriend like?"

            Nick says, "Sage? She'll surprise you. She's a paralegal."

            I look at him puzzled and say, "Why should that surprise me?"

            He says, "Seriously? AJ?" After a minute, he says, "OH, I keep forgetting you're not a fan. Wow, this is different.  OK, so AJ has a rep for being a bad boy."

            She giggles and says, "He probably loves it, am I right?"

            Nick nods and says, "Yeah. I guess being honest, I kind of have that rep too."

            She cocks her eyebrow and says, "Oh really?  Is there something I should know about?"

            He laughs and says, "Why don't you read the background check your dad did on me?"

            She blushes and says, "I'm really sorry..."

            He says, "Stop! I'm teasing. It doesn't bother me.  I've been in the limelight my whole life. I don't have secrets.  I'll admit, I was wild. It took the right woman to tame me." As he's saying this, he's lifting her up into his arms. Their lips meet in a gentle, persuasive kiss. When they break apart, Nick says, "Can I come home with you this afternoon?" He sees a shadow cross her face and says, "What? What's wrong?"

            She says, "Nothing, really. Yeah, we can go to my place. I'll make dinner."

            She starts to turn away and he says, "Penelope, what's wrong?"

            Turning back to face him, she says, "Nothing, really. I promise. Let's go."

            He knows something's bothering her, but he doesn't push it.  When they get to her place, he starts to pay attention to things he's never noticed before. The way her hand shakes when she's putting the key in the lock. The look of intense concentration as she opens the door.  The way she looks all around her as she runs to disable the alarm. Then he gets it. She's afraid to be here. She's afraid of her own home. 

            Once she's settled down a bit and the door is relocked, she says, "Any preference for dinner?  Chicken? Fish?"

            He says, "Anything. I don't care."

            She goes into the kitchen to see what she has on hand. While she's gone, he looks around the apartment, trying to see it through her eyes. She's afraid of the one place she should feel safe and secure. How sad is it she can't move. Yeah, she could, but she doesn't want to take money from her parents to do so and after meeting her mother, Nick gets that.

            When she comes back in the room, she catches Nick watching her with a strange look on his face.  She says, "What? Not in the mood for fish? I can make burgers..."

            He shakes his head and says, "Penelope...I'm so sorry."

            She says, "For what? What's wrong?"

            He says, "I finally opened my eyes and paid attention. You really hate it here, don't you?"

            She glances away and quietly says, "Yeah. But it's all I've got."

            Nick walks over to her and tilts her face up to his. He shakes his head and says, "No it's not. Come live with me."

            Her eyes meet his. She shakes her head and says, "You don't have to...I'll be fine here Nick."

            He says, "This isn't about what I have to do. I WANT you to live with me, Penelope. I WANT you in my life all the time. I WANT you to be happy. Please? Move in with me?"

            Her eyes meet his as she ponders the question. Is she ready for this step?

 

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please let me know!  :)