- Text Size +

 

Lost and Found

By Dottie

Copyright 2012

 

Chapter 07

 

            Penelope was very nervous about meeting Nick's friends. Thursday came fast. As she's getting dressed for dinner, Nick calls to ask if she's ok. She says, "I don't know Nick. What if they don't like me?"

            He says, "Well you're not dating them, but I can tell you now, they are going to LOVE you."

            She sighs as she ties her tennis shoes and says, "I hope you're right. What time will you be here?"

            He says, "That's another reason I'm calling. I'm in a production meeting for the tour. AJ's gonna pick you up and I'll meet you at the restaurant, ok?"

            Feeling apprehensive, she says, "Can't I just wait..."

            He says, "Don't worry, AJ will stay with you outside till I get there. I won't make you go in alone."

            She sighs and says, "No, I'll be ok. I'm sorry."

            He says, "Sweetheart, trust me.  They are good guys. You won't get that look you hate and if you do, I'll beat the shit out of whoever gives it to you, ok?"

            She has to laugh at that. She says, "I'm being childish, huh?"

            He says, "No, you aren't. Now, you're ok with AJ picking you up?"

            She says, "Of course."

            He says, "Good. AJ's gonna hang out around New York while I'm gone in case you need anything."

            She says, "He doesn't have to..."

            Nick says, "He knows that. He wants to.  I'm wondering if my best friend is falling for my girl?"

            She giggles and says, "You know I only have eyes for you."

            Nick says, "Beautiful eyes at that. I'll see you at dinner. I love you Penelope."

            She says, "I love you too," before hanging up. Just as she's putting in her last earring, the doorbell sounds. 

When she opens the door, AJ hugs her and says, "Hey, look how cute you look!" And she does.  Knowing tonight was going to be different for her, she chose to wear her confidence-building clothes.  A pair of black denim jeans and a green blouse.  When he steps back, he says, "Penelope, this is my girlfriend Sage.  Sage, this is Nick's girl, Penelope."

Sage holds out her hand and says in a distinct British accent, "It's a pleasure to meet you, Penelope."

Shyly, Penelope says, "Nice to meet you. Just let me get my purse and set the alarm and we can go."

While she's in her bedroom, Sage says, "That poor girl. She's so pretty to be so self conscious."

AJ says, "Yeah. And boy is Nick in love."

Sage slides her arm around AJ's waist and says, "I'm happy for them."

Penelope comes back into the room in time to see AJ kiss Sage. She smiles and says, "If you want to go out into the hallway, I'll set the alarm."

Both watch fascinated as she comes out and locks all three locks. AJ takes a lady on each arm and says, "Nick can eat his heart out. I have the two prettiest dates tonight."

After the laughter dies, Sage says, "Penelope, it's very nice of you to allow us to watch the eclipse at your school."

As they are getting into the cab, Penelope says, "I'm happy to do it.  It's amazing to watch through the telescopes."

Sage says, "I love being an amateur star gazer. But it stays overcast in England a lot so I never really had the chance."

The remainder of the ride, the girls get to know each other and talk about their jobs. By the time they reach The Pit, it's like they are lifelong friends. AJ is secretly pleased at how quickly Sage and Penelope bonded. Sage always said she wanted more friends and God knows Penelope needs more.

When they step out of the cab, Nick is waiting. He lifts Penelope up in his arms and says, "Hello, Beautiful," before kissing her soundly.

When he puts her down, she blushes and says, "How was your meeting?"

Before he can reply, her phone rings. AJ and Sage step inside as she answers it.  Nick is curious when she walks away from him. But she needs privacy. It's her Dad.

He says, "I won't keep you Punkin, but I found a surgeon. He's coming to town in two weeks to see you. OK?"

She quietly says, "Thanks Daddy. I really appreciate it."

He says, "You never have to thank me, Punkin. Were you serious about your decision to move?"

She sighs and says, "Yes. I'm going to tell Nick tonight."

She can hear a smile in his voice when he says, "I'm happy for you. I hate where you live now. I want you safe and happy again."

Turning to see Nick watching her, she says, "I am happy, Daddy."

 

Dinner was a success in Nick's eyes.  Penelope was astounded at how nice they all were. Brian's girlfriend, Lisa, had bonded with her just as quickly as Sage had.  Howie's girlfriend is a whole other story. She couldn't keep her hands off him long enough to even get to know Penelope.

All of the guys had been very kind. She kind of felt like they were staring at first, but Nick just kissed her cheek, on her scar, and whispered, "It's your eyes, Sweetheart."

 

Once at the college, she shows them around before taking them into the observatory.  The students were already there and she let them explain the workings of the telescope to her guests.  Pepper, Howie's girlfriend, walks up to Penelope and says, ""Penelope, I gotta pee, where's the bathroom?"

Penelope says, "I'll show you. It's in another building." After excusing herself and leaving her students showing off, she leads Pepper out of the building.

Lisa runs to catch up, yelling, "Hang on, I need to go too."

When they reach the bathroom, Pepper finishes first. She talks constantly, which honestly, is annoying. As they are washing their hands, she looks at Penelope and says, "So what's the deal? How did you get the scar?"

Penelope looks very uncomfortable and says, "It's a long story."

Seemingly oblivious to her discomfort, Pepper says, "I'd totally FREAK if I had an ugly scar like that. It's so big."

Lisa feels like hitting Pepper. She can almost see Penelope's happiness shrivel like a popped balloon. She snaps at Pepper, "You idiot!"

Penelope turns and runs, followed closely by Lisa. When she finally catches her, Lisa says, "Penelope, ignore her. Her brain is made of silicone."

Penelope sniffles and says, "I'm ok."

Lisa says, "No you aren't. Penelope, don't let her get you down. She's seriously a moron. I don't see WHAT Howie sees in her."

Snorting, Penelope says, "I do. She's not hideous."

From behind her, AJ says, "Neither are you, Penelope." Looking at Lisa, he says, "What happened?"

Lisa says, "Pepper being her usual, bitchy self. God, why does Howie put up with her?"

Penelope says, "It's ok. I'm fine."

AJ says, "No you're not. You're pale as a ghost and shaking."

Penelope says, "I'm fine. Let's go back. The eclipse will be starting soon."

When they get back to the observatory, Nick notices Penelope avoiding them all and focusing on setting up the telescopes with the students.  He catches Lisa and AJ talking and walks up to them, asking "What the hell is wrong with Penelope? She acts like I'm not here."

Lisa sighs as AJ says, "Pepper opened her big fucking mouth and made Penelope feel bad. If she wasn't a woman..."

Nick groans and says, "What did she say?"

Lisa lowers her voice and says, "She told Penelope she would freak out if she had such a big, ugly scar on her own face."

Nick closes his eyes and whispers, "That bitch."

Brian walks up and says, "What's going on?"

Before Nick can answer, Penelope raises her voice and says, "OK, it's starting. Every take a telescope. They should all be calibrated correctly."

As everyone settles in to watch, Nick sees Penelope slip outside. His heart almost breaks in two. He looks around and sees Pepper and Howie all lovey dovey in a corner and almost snaps. He walks over to them and says, "Pepper, if you say one more word to my girlfriend, I swear to God..."

Howie says, "Whoa, Nick, what the hell?"

Pepper says, "What? I didn't say anything to her."

Lisa says, "Pepper, that's an out and out lie, I was standing right there?"

Pepper says, "What? I just said that if I had a big ugly scar on my face I'd freak out."

Howie lowers his head and says, "Pepper, you didn't."

Nick chimes in and says, "You do have a big, ugly scar, Pepper. It's called your mouth."  Looking at Howie, he says, "Keep her away from Penelope. I mean it."

Nick walks outside to find Penelope sitting in the middle of the courtyard, watching the moon. He glances up at it before sitting beside her. She says, "Isn't it amazing Nick? Did you see it through the telescope?"

He puts his arm around her, feeling her flinch. He fights the urge to kill Pepper and whispers, "I'd rather look at you."

Knowing AJ and Lisa told him what happens, she just lowers her head and says, "I'm ok, Nick. On some level, I'm used to it."

He says, "No it is NOT ok."

She leans into him and says, "Yeah it is. Now, watch the eclipse with me."

They tilt their heads upward and watch the shadow slowly slide across the moon. When the moon is almost totally dark, she says, "Come on, you need to see this."

She leads him back inside and says, "Look at the sky when the moon is completely covered."

Nick looks through the telescope, more than amazed at how brightly the stars are shining. He hears voices murmuring around him and feels Penelope standing close to him. He looks away from the cosmos and into her eyes and whispers, "I love you."

She tilts her head up and kisses him, whispering, "I love you too."

After the eclipse, the students make hasty retreats, all of them having early morning classes. Suddenly, Penelope notices Pepper is nowhere to be seen. Howie comes up to her and Nick and says, "Penelope, I'm really sorry about what Pepper said. She's..."

Penelope says, "It's ok.  Don't worry about it."

Howie says, "But I am worried about it. I can't believe she did that."

Penelope says, "Howie, really, it's ok. It wasn't the first time nor will it be the last I hear comments like that. I'll be fine."

He hugs her gently and says, "You are beautiful. Nick was right."

She smiles at him and says, "Thank you."

After everyone says goodbye and Penelope plans a shopping excursion with Lisa and Sage while Nick is out of town, he says, "You sure you're ok?"

Holding his hand as they make their way out to their waiting taxi, she says, "I am Nick. I wasn't lying. I've heard it before. It just hits me hard at first. I'm ok."

He says, "Will you come to my place?"

She says, "Can we go by mine first? I need clothes for work tomorrow and my car."

He snuggles with her as he gives the driver her address. When they get inside her apartment, he lounges on her bed as she packs a bag.  When she finishes, she sits beside him and says, "Can we talk for a minute?"

He sits up and says, "Of course. What's wrong?"

She says, "Nothing. You leave next Friday, right?" He nods. She says, "Well, if the offer still stands, my lease is up this month and well..."

His smile makes her heart race. He says, "You mean it? You'll live with me?"

She laces her fingers with his and says, "I want to more than anything."

He puts his forehead against hers and says, "Can we move you in before I leave? I don't want to leave you here."

She says, "I don't want to stay here anymore Nick. I can't move on living here."

His lips cover hers in a tender kiss that makes her ache. When they part, he says, "Come on tour with me."

She smiles against his lips and says, "I wish I could. I have a job, you know?"

He sighs and says, "Quit. Come with me."

She slides her arms around his neck and thinks about her plans with her father for the doctor's appointment. She whispers, "I can't right now Nick." After a lengthy silence, she whispers, "I'm going to miss you."

He holds her tightly and says, "I'll miss you too." When she buries her face in his neck, he whispers, "Let's go home, Penelope."

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Love to know what you think! :)