- Text Size +

 

Lost and Found

By Dottie

Copyright 2012

 

Chapter 08

 

            Nick leaves tomorrow. Now that Penelope is living with him, he feels better about going out of town. Even more so knowing AJ will be keeping an eye on her. Sage will be back in town in a week to do some shopping with Penelope. Nick smiles at how well she fit right in with his family. He knew she would.

            Speaking of families, Penelope had given her sister and her father her knew address. Both had stopped by for a visit.  Nick was pleased to see them accept Penelope living with him, but part of him worries about what her mother will say.  Then again, she didn't bother to show up so that says it all.

            Penelope is snuggled up on Nick's chest as they watch a movie. He can feel her body trembling and he looks down, surprised to find her crying. He flips off the TV and says, "Hey, Sweetheart, what's wrong?"

            She sniffles and says, "Nothing really. I'm just being stupid."

            He says, "Come on, something's got you upset, what is it?"

            She plays with the drawstring on his sweat pants and says, "Seeing Daddy and Juliette today...I just wish my mother cared about me in some way."

            He kisses the top of her head and says, "Believe it or not, I know how you feel. I'm a meal ticket for my mom. I take care of her because I kind of feel like I have to, but I don't have anything to do with her. She made her choices. I made mine."

            Penelope says, "I guess that's the problem. She CHOSE me and still...she hates me."

            Nick says, "Sweetheart, she's the one losing out, not you."

            Penelope tilts her head back and says, "I know you're right. I guess I'm just moody. I don't want you to go."

            He smiles gently and says, "You can still go with me. One ticket can turn into two fairly easily."

            She sighs and says, "I wish I could. I have plans with Daddy and Juliette next week. I don't want to let them down."

            He kisses her nose and says, "I'll call you every day. Before you know it, I'll be back, holding you just like this and kissing you all over."

            Smiling at him seductively, she says, "Maybe you can do that before you leave."

            Leaning back on the couch, he watches her crawl up onto his body, saying, "I had planned on it."           

            She tugs the front of his t-shirt up and scratches his stomach, saying, "What's stopping you?"

            He slides his hands up her thighs to her hips and says, "Just waiting for you to decide you want to have your way with me."

            She leans down and places a lingering kiss on his cheek before whispering, "I always want to have my way with you."

            Their kisses become more heated, but neither rush to get to the sex. For Nick he's beginning to realize that for the first time in his life, he's content.  He's in a healthy, loving relationship with a woman who's warm and loving and needs him. No one's ever needed him and the urge to protect her overwhelms him.

            For Penelope, she's finally with a man who puts her first. His job, his friends, it all comes AFTER her. When she's with him, she feels safe.  For the first time in over 2 years, she's not afraid.

            Nick languidly pushes her back on the couch and tears his lips from hers to say, "You have the most delicious mouth, Penelope." She blushes and he whispers, "I love it when you blush. So sexy."

            She blushes deeper and says, "What else do you love?"

            His hand skims down her side to grab her thigh and he whispers, "I love being deep inside you, Penelope. Let's go to bed."

 

            After the car picks Nick up for the airport, Penelope heads to work. She talks with the professor about taking time off only to learn that at the end of the school year, her position was going to be cut anyway. This surprises her and really sends her into a funk. Now, on top of everything else, she has to go job hunting. Living with Nick is simpler, he won't let her pay for anything, but she's always been independent. Now she feels stuck.

            After signing the paperwork to take a leave from work, she heads home with a heavy heart. She'll get paid for the rest of the year, and she doesn't have to work, but still...she feels empty.  When she gets home and tosses her keys on the table, she wonders if she should call and tell Nick.  Before she gets a chance, her phone rings. Seeing it's an unknown caller, she thinks it's Nick and answers with a sexy, "Hello, Stranger."

            Imagine her embarrassment when AJ says, "Well, hello Beautiful!"

            She groans and says, "Oh my God...I thought you were Nick!"

            He laughs and says, "I know. It's ok, you have one sexy ass voice. No wonder Nick hid you for so long."

            She laughs with him and says, "I think he did that more for me. How are you?"

            AJ says, "Bored. Sage left and I'm lonely. When do you get off work? We can catch a movie."

            She sighs and says, "I don't think I'm up for it. Why don't you come over and I'll make dinner and we can watch one here?"

            He says, "What's wrong?"

            She says, "Nothing. Well, something, but...it's a long story."

            He says, "Tell me when I get there, ok? Half an hour."

            Before she can say anything, she hangs up. Sighing loudly, she goes into the bedroom and curls up with Nick's pillow. Knowing AJ will tell him what's going on, she calls Nick. 

            He answers with, "Baby, I wanna come home."

            She laughs and says, "I want you too. I wish you could."

            He says, "Come be with me. Please?"

            She says, "I wish I could. But I do have plans with Juliette and Dad next week. Maybe after that."

            He says, "Whoa, wait a minute...before you said work, and now you don't mention it. Does this mean you're willing to take a break? For me?"

            She smiles at his attitude and says, "I'm ALWAYS willing to do that Nick. But...it's a moot point. Found out today I'm losing my job."

            He says, "Oh Baby, I'm sorry."

            She says, "It's ok. I was going to throw myself a pity party, but AJ won't allow it."

            Nick laughs and says, "Good for him. So, why can't you come see me now?"

            She says, "I can't divulge details Nick. It's a surprise."

            He lowers his voice and says, "Is this surprise made out of lace and easily taken off your body with my teeth?"

            She laughs and says, "Involving my father, highly doubtful! But maybe AJ will take me shopping."

            Nick groans and says, "I do NOT want AJ looking at your panties."

            She falls back on the bed and says, "Not to worry, Nick. Those are for your eyes only."

            She can almost hear his smirk over the phone. He says, "Good. So, speaking of panties...why don't you take yours off and tell me EXACTLY what you're doing?"

            Before she can form a coherent thought about the naughty ideas in his mind, the doorbell rings. She chuckles and says, "Really want me to? AJ just got here."

            He groans and says, "DAMN HIM!" She laughs and he says, "You really ok?"

            She heads for the door to answer it and says, "I really am. I miss you."

            He says, "I miss you too. Call me after he leaves, ok? I wanna talk dirty with my girlfriend."

            She giggles and says, "Love you."

            He says, "Love you too. Have fun."

 

            AJ spends the evening trying to cheer her up, and does a great job of it.  By the time he leaves, she's feeling a lot better. Before she calls Nick, she calls Juliette to let her know what's going on.

            When Juliette answers, she says, "Oh I'm SO glad you called. Did Dad get you yet?"

            Just as she's asking, the phone beeps. She says, "I assume he's calling now. Hang on."

            She answers and her father says, "Punkin, Dr. Stein's secretary called. He's in town tomorrow for a conference and can move up your appointment. Can you make it around 1:30?"

            She sighs and says, "Yeah, Daddy, I can. Listen, Juliette's on the other line. Can I call you back?"

            He says, "We can talk tomorrow. I have a charity dinner to go to with your mother."

            She says, "Thanks Daddy, I'll see you tomorrow."

            He says, "I'll pick you up at 1:00."

            When she goes back to her sister, Juliette says, "Want me to go with you tomorrow?"

            Penelope says, "No, I think I'll be ok with Daddy. Listen, I need to tell you something."

            After telling her about her job, Juliette says, "Don't let Mother know. You know what will happen."

            Penelope says, "It won't. I'm not working for Daddy. It's just not me."

            Juliette says, "What about Nick?"

            Penelope says, "What about him?"

            Juliette says, "Go be with him. Travel with him."

            Penelope says, "I want to.  But...we'll see."

            Juliette says, "Penelope, you found love.  Grab a hold of it and don't let go."

            After hanging up, Penelope looks at a picture of her and Nick sitting on the desk. With tears in her eyes, she traces his face and whispers, "I'm never gonna let go."

 

            She tries calling Nick, but it goes to his voicemail. After leaving him a message to call her, she pops in one of the CDs Eddie gave her. The first few songs are all a capella.  Penelope sits, mesmerized by the harmonies. She can pick Nick's voice out easily because he sings to her so much.

            After a dozen songs, she can see why the group is still so successful. The first CD is mostly dance songs and she finds herself dancing around the apartment to Set It Off more than once.  As she settles down to listen to the second CD, her phone rings. Turning the stereo down, she answers with a breathless, "Hello?"

            Nick groans and says, "PLEASE don't answer the phone that way."

            She laughs and says, "Sorry, Sweetie, I was dancing."

            He asks, curiously, "With whom?"

            She giggles and says, "These guys I've been listening to on CD all night."

            He chuckles and says, "I take it you like what you're hearing?"

            She says, "I love it! Nick, you guys are amazing."

            He says, "What's on now?"

            She says, "You're asking me?" 

She turns up the CD player so Nick can hear it. When he does, he says, "Do me a favor, Baby."

            She says, "Sure, what?"

            He says, "Get the computer and let's Skype. I need to see you."

             She says, "But I'm listening to this awesome CD."

            He laughs and says, "If you will, I have a surprise for you."

            She chuckles as she turns off the CD and heads to the office. She says, "Nick, are you going to do something dirty?"

            He lowers his voice to a growl and says, "Want me to? I can. I already have a hard on for you."

            Thankful he can't see her blush, she says, "You are SUCH a bad boy Nick."

            He chuckles and says, "You know you love me this way."

            Once they are on Skype, they hang up their phones and Nick says, "Damn you look good enough to eat."

            Another blush as she says, "You don't look to shabby yourself. I miss you."

            His gaze softens and he says, "I miss you too, Penelope. So, about that surprise."

            She says, "Yes?"

            He says, "Did you hear any of the song that was playing when I called?"

            She shakes her head and says, "No, why?"

            He smiles and her heart melts.  He says, "Good."

            She watches as he pushes back away from his desk and picks up a guitar. Watching him makes her ache. All she wants is to be with him. She listens as he starts strumming the guitar.  When he starts singing, she's mesmerized.

It seems like yesterday when I said "I do"
And after all this time my heart still burns for you
If you don't know by now that you're my only one
Take a look inside me and watch my heartstrings come undone

I know I promised you forever
Is there no stronger word I can use
To reassure you when the storm is raging outside
You're my safest place to hide

Can you see me, here I am
I need you like I needed you then
When I feel like giving up
I climb inside your heart I still find
You're my safest place to hide

            She's blown away watching him. He's so into the song, his eyes are closed. What gets to her the most is that he actually means what he's singing to her. Tears leak from her eyes as he continues...

You see colors no one else can see
In every breath you hear a symphony
You understand me like nobody can
I feel like my soul unfolding like a flower blooming

When this whole world gets too crazy
And there's nowhere left to go
I know you give me sanctuary
You're the only truth I know
You're the road back home

His eyes open and even though they are miles apart, it's like he's right their when his eyes connect with hers. He sees her tears and she can tell he's getting choked up as he finishes...

Can you see me, here I am
Standing here where I've always been
And when words are not enough
I climb inside your heart I'd still find
You're my safest place to hide
My safest place to hide

I know I promised you forever
There's no stronger word I can use
To reassure when the storm is raging outside
You're my safest place to hide

Oh! Can you see me, here I am
Standing here where I've always been
When I feel like giving up
I climb inside your heart I'd still find
Yeah, yeah
You're my safest place to hide, oh yeah
You're my safest place to hide

            When the song ends, they just stare at each other. Finally, she whispers, "I miss you, Nick."

            He smiles and says, "I miss you too. Come to me Sweetheart. As soon as you can."

            She says, "I promise Nick. As soon as I can."

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Love to know what you think! :)