- Text Size +

 

Lost and Found

By Dottie

Copyright 2012

 

Chapter 09

 

            Penelope thinks about Nick as she's waiting to see the doctor.  Her father can tell she's preoccupied and he says, "What's wrong Punkin?"

            She smiles timidly and says, "I miss Nick. I wish he was here."

            He pats her hand and says, "Are you scared?"

            She nods and says, "What if it gets worse, Daddy?"

            He says, "It won't Sweetheart.  I swear, Dr. Stein in the best at what he does."

             After they call her name, she looks at her father and says, "Thank you Daddy."

            He says, "You don't have to thank me, Penelope."

 

            After seeing the doctor and him explaining the laser procedure he will be using to take away the scar, she's anxious and confused about having it done. Anxious because he's so confident in his skills, she feels there's no way he'll mess up. Plus the before and after pictures of some of his clients were incredible; so much so, she wanted to have the surgery then and there. He even offered to do it the next day.

            She's confused because of the recovery time.  She promised she'd go be with Nick, but it's going to take eight weeks to heal. She knows while he's on the road, he's scrutinized by not only his fans, but the media and the paparazzi. The last thing he needs is someone on his arm that looks like a freak.

            She says, "Dr. Stein, will it really take that long to heal?"

            He says, "Yes, it will, Penelope. It takes a while for the new skin to grow. You're not a very patient person, are you?"

            She says, "Actually, I am. I just was planning on going to spend time with my boyfriend while he travels. But if I'm going to look like a freak..."

            He says, "Penelope, you won't look like a freak.  The area will be red, but that's about it.  The only thing I need to caution you about is sunlight. Until the new skin completely forms, your face should be protected at all times. The sun can cause more damage than you know."

            She says, "I understand Dr. Stein. And you can really do this tomorrow?"

            He says, "Penelope, your father is very persuasive. I'll do it today if you want."

            She blushes and says, "I'm sorry if he bullied you."

            Dr. Stein laughed and said, "No, it wasn't like that. I promise. Now, do you want me to set up the procedure?"

            I think about Nick and say, "Yes. Tomorrow please. I need...I need to talk to my boyfriend about it."

            Dr. Stein says, "I promise, you'll be just fine."

            Penelope fingers the end of her shirt and says, "Dr. Stein...the other scars..."

            He says, "I recommend we do one at a time, Penelope.  It's not going to hurt too much, but when we do the scars on your torso, you're going to have to be very careful about what you wear. If you plan on traveling with your boyfriend, you need to wait. I recommend that maybe in six months you come back for the others. OK?"

            She nods and stands, saying, "Thank you Dr. Stein. See you tomorrow morning, then?"

            He nods and says, "8:30. You'll be my first patient. By tomorrow night, you'll be on your way to see your boyfriend."

            She smiles and says, "That may wait a few days.  But yes, very soon, I'll be seeing him."

 

            After her father drops her off, she sits down and thinks about what to say to Nick. She wants it to be a surprise, but there's no way she can wait two months to see him again. She'll go insane. 

Before she can call him, the doorbell rings.  She opens it to find AJ standing there with an older lady. He says, "Hey Beautiful, I brought someone to meet you. Mom, this is Nick's girl, Penelope.  Penelope, my mother, Denise."

            Feeling a bit more than shell shocked that AJ would spring this on her, she says, "Umm, hi, it's nice to meet you."

            Denise says, "I'm sorry Penelope. I'm only in New York for a couple of days and Alex insisted."

            Stepping back, she invites them in and says, "No, it's ok, really." Giving AJ a glare, she says, "What brings you to New York?"

            He just smirks and goes into the kitchen, leaving the women alone.  Denise says, "I just finished a book about Alex and was meeting with the publisher."

            Thus begins a two hour visit with Denise that leaves Penelope feeling secure in her friendship with Alex and his mother.  After they leave, she picks up her phone and calls Nick. It goes straight to voicemail. She checks the time and realizes he's heading on stage soon.  She leaves him a simple message; "I love you Nick. Call me when you get this. I need to talk to you about something. Tonight if possible."

 

            It's 2:30 in the morning and she wakes up gasping for air and panting.  She looks quickly about the room, nothing's changed. Closing her eyes, she lays back down and whispers, "It's just a dream, you ninny."

            Her dreams, or rather, her nightmares, had been few and far between until Nick left. Now they've come back with a vengeance.  After getting her breathing under control, she gets up and gets a drink of water.  When she crawls back in bed, she picks up her phone.  No calls.  Figuring he had an after party, she lets it go, knowing he's busy. She lays back down and pulls his pillow close to her chest in a vain attempt to make herself feel like he's there holding her so hopefully she can sleep.

 

            The procedure goes off without a hitch. When she's on her way home, her Dad says, "Does it hurt Punkin?"

            She says, "It feels tight."

            He says, "Remember what Dr. Stein said. It's going to be tender so don't let the sun hit it."

            She rolls her eyes and says, "Yes, Daddy."

            He laughs and says, "You're always gonna be my Punkin. Want me to stay with you?"

            She says, "No. I'll be fine.  Alex is coming back today and I'm going to call Nick and make plans."

            Her Dad says, "Penelope, I've never seen you happier. I'm glad you found your Nick."

            She looks out the window and says, "No Daddy. I think Nick found me."

 

            After her Dad drops her off, she checks her phone.  Four missed calls from Nick. She sighs and dials his number. He answers with, "Baby are you ok?"

            She chuckles and says, "Hello, Nick. I'm fine. How are you?"

            He sighs loudly and says, "Relieved. I'm sorry Baby, I got worried when I called and you didn't answer. You sure you're ok?"

            She says, "I'm fine. I was out with my father this morning. Just got home."

            He says, "How is your father? And what did you need to talk to me about last night? Sweetheart, I'm so sorry.  The after party ran till 3:00 am and I crashed on the bus."

            Fixing herself a glass of water, she pops a straw in it and says, "Daddy's fine. I just wanted to talk to you about...well..."

            He says, "What? What's wrong?"

            She takes a drink of her water before saying, "I did it."

            She hears the confusion in his voice when he says, "You did what?"

            Taking a deep breath and fingering the bandage on her face, she says, "I...saw a surgeon."

            His silence speaks volumes. She knows he's upset, even though he doesn't sound upset when he says, "You did? Why didn't you tell me? I'd have flew in.  Been there for you."

            She says, "I know you would have, but it wasn't necessary. Daddy went with me."

            Nick says, "And? What did he say?"

            She says, "He thinks that by the time it heals, no one will know there was ever a scar."

            Again, another lengthy silence, broken only when he says, "By the time it heals? You...had the procedure?"

            She bites her lip after saying, "Yeah. 8:30 this morning."

            He says, "Why didn't you tell me, Penelope?"

            Now she can't decide what his voice sounds like. Hurt. Angry. Indifferent. She says, "I was going to surprise you. Then I decided I wanted to tell you, which is why I called."

            He says, "You could have called this morning."

            She knows he's hurt. She whispers, "I'm sorry. I didn't...want to wake you."

            He says, "Penelope, what's wrong? Why are you crying?"

            Sniffling, she says, "I...I thought you'd be happy."

            He says, "Sweetheart, I am happy. You're my girl. I just wish I had been there for you, that's all. I'm not upset."

            She says, "Are you sure?"

            He says, "Penelope Siobahn, I love you! How in the world could you think this would upset me?" When she doesn't say anything, he says, "How do you feel?"

            She says, "It feels kind of tight, but ok. Dr. Stein says it will take about 8 weeks to heal."

            He surprises her by saying, "Yeah, I read that. You also can't be out in the sun."

            She's shocked. She says, "How did you know? Did Juliette tell you I was doing this?"

            He says, "No Sweetheart, I was doing research...I was hoping if I had all the facts for you it would make your decision easier."

            She tries to smile at his thoughtfulness but winces when it pulls at her wound. She says, "Nick, once I realized it didn't matter to you, that made the decision very easy."

            He says, "Wait, I'm confused. What?"

            She says, "You know why I really didn't get it done sooner?"

            He says, "You said you didn't want your mother holding it over your head."

            She says, "Besides that."

            He says, "No, I really don't know.  Why?"

            She says, "I was afraid it would get worse."

            He says, "Penelope..."

            She says, "It's ok, Nick.  I'm ok now."

            After a lengthy silence, he says, "Can I ask you something?"

            I say, "Sure. What?"

            He says, "Will you come and see me NOW?"

            She giggles and says, "Give me a couple of days. This is kind of...uncomfortable."

            He says, "Sweetheart, should you be talking?"

            She says, "It's fine.  But Nick...about, well, the fans and all?"

            He says, "Don't worry. No one is going to say anything bad about you. And if they do, they answer to me!"

            She says, "Nick, I just...I don't want to embarrass you."

            He sighs and says, "Baby...I love you more than life itself. NOTHING about you embarrasses me or ever will. Hell, you can fart in elevators for all I care. I just want to be with you. I'm PROUD to call you my girlfriend.  I'm ready to tell the world."

            She bites her lip for a minute before saying, "You really do mean that, don't you?"

            He says, "Don't believe. Watch Twitter."

            She says, "Twitter? Nick, what are you doing?"

            He says, "I'm going to tell the world that I'm in love with one Miss Penelope Siobahn Evans."

            She says, "Nick, you're crazy."

            He says, "I know. I'm crazy about you. Last chance to stop me...I'm ready to tweet."

            She's quiet for so long, he thinks she hung up. Imagine his surprise when she says, "Were you bluffing?"

 

            By the time AJ shows up, she's feeling more secure in their love. She's more than a bit overwhelmed by the fans responses on Twitter. They seem ok with it. But none of them have seen her yet. Even though she's still nervous about it, his willingness to tell his fans that he has a girlfriend makes her the happiest girl in the world.

            When AJ comes through the door, he says, "What the hell is Nick doing? What happened to your face? Why is it bandaged?"

            She loops her arm through his and says, "Let's talk, AJ."

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please let me know! :)