- Text Size +
It all started about a month before doomsday. It was Thanksgiving time, and the Backstreet Boys had just released a new single. It was called “It’s Christmas Time Again,” and what it lacked in creativity, it made up for in catchiness. The Boys were performing it for the first time live at Disneyland, for the taping of the Disney Parks Christmas Day Parade.

“Frost grows outside the window. First kiss under the mistletoe… oh-ohh… oh-ohh…” sang Nick on the stage, his red scarf swinging. “Bells chime inside a steeple. Open the door; see the people sing… oh-ohh… oh-ohh…”

“And when the snow is falling down, down, down…” Kevin joined in, accompanied by a chorus of screams from the crowd below. “You know that Santa’s back in town, town, town… That’s when it’s Christmas time again.”

The cheers rose to new heights as all five boys began to bounce and sing. “La ta, la ta-da-da-ta! La ta, la ta-da-da, it’s Christmas time again!” Fireworks added to the excitement as they exploded in the sky over Sleeping Beauty Castle. “La ta, la ta-da-da-ta! La ta, la ta-da-da, it’s Christmas time again!”

The mood in the park was festive and fun. The fans in the crowd were clapping and waving their arms, totally carefree. The Boys were back together, and they’d never looked or sounded better.

And then Brian opened his mouth to sing.

“I’ve been checkin’ my list twice…”

For a split second, the fans stopped screaming and looked at each other with worry, for not even Kevin’s harmony could hide the hoarseness of his cousin’s voice. Then one girl shouted, “WOOOO!” and the others joined in, trying to cover up Brian’s shakiness with their shrill screams.

“…got plans to give you your gift tonight…” Even Kevin was looking at Brian in concern, bending down to bring his head close to his cousin’s. “Oh-ohh… oh-ohh…”

Nick and AJ saved the second verse. “Wake up under a lit tree…” They sang in perfect harmony, their voices solid and strong. “One wish that came true, you’re here with me… oh-ohh… oh-ohh…”

“And when the snow is falling down, down, down…”
Even after all his years of smoking, AJ’s voice was still powerful and right on pitch. “You know that Santa’s back in town, town, town… That’s when it’s Christmas time again!”

The same could not be said for Brian, and afterwards, the others confronted him about it.

“That sounded terrible!” ranted Howie. “The second verse was weak!”

Kevin raised his enormous eyebrows. “Since when are you in a position to judge the rest of us?”

“Since you left and stopped doing it!” Howie shot back.

“Well, it wasn’t my fault. Brian was off.”

“Maybe if he’d shown up to more than one rehearsal…” muttered Nick.

Suddenly, everyone was staring at Brian.

“Yeah, why weren’t you at rehearsal?” AJ wanted to know. “My wife’s nine months pregnant, and I managed to make it to all the rehearsals.”

Brian shrugged. “Just modeling some scarves for Wylee.”

“Just modeling some…” Howie shook his head, too disgusted to speak.

“What? What’s wrong with supporting my wife?” Brian looked wounded. “AJ makes jewelry with his wife. Nick performs at Lauren’s fitness competitions. So why can’t I help Leighanne with Wylee?”

“Because it makes you a pussy!” snapped Howie. “You’re turning into such a pussy that you can’t even sing like a man anymore!”

Brian blinked at Howie. “Says the guy who sings all the high falsetto parts?”

“Excuse me? I sang in full voice for my solo, and you didn’t hear my voice break once.” Howie pointed his finger at Brian. “You better sort out your priorities and get this problem fixed so you can be a Backstreet Boy… not a scarf model. Good grief!”

With that, he spun on his heel and stalked off in a huff. The others slowly followed, casting resentful looks at Brian over their shoulders as they walked away.

Brian was left standing alone. “I guess I’m on my own now,” he sighed to himself, as he wandered off to find his wife and son.

***