- Text Size +
Well, somehow Brian and Patches managed to get their feet back on the ground. But just as they were moving out of the shadow of the Matterhorn, a pair of massive, furry feet stepped into their path. The feet were attached to legs as long and thick as tree trunks, covered in shaggy, matted fur.

“Gadzooks! The abominable snowman strikes again!” screamed Patches. “We better run like crazy!”

The pandaskunk scampered away. Brian wanted to follow, but he found himself frozen at the Yeti’s feet. It was as if his eyes needed time to finish panning the rest of the way up the beast’s body first. The creature was so tall in comparison to Brian that it took quite a while, but when he finally caught sight of its face, he was shocked at how familiar it seemed. “Hey… wait a minute!” he exclaimed. “Patches, come back here! It’s okay! It’s just… Chewbacca!”

The wookiee threw back his shaggy head and roared triumphantly, seeming pleased at having been recognized.

While Patches approached cautiously, Brian smiled, a little bewildered. “What are you doing in Disneyland, Chewbacca?” he wondered.

Chewbacca responded with a series of grunts and moans that were unintelligible to Brian. “What’s he saying?” asked Patches in a whisper, keeping his distance from the wookiee.

“He said now that Disney owns the Star Wars franchise, he’s got free reign of the place.”

Brian recognized that sardonic voice. “Han Solo?!” he shouted in disbelief, as the rebel smuggler emerged from the Tomorrowland Terrace restaurant.

Han Solo smirked and held out his arms. “In the flesh.”

“Where did you come from??”

“Why, from a galaxy far, far away, of course.” Han snorted at his own joke. “Nah, I came from the Jedi Training Academy, right over there,” he said, pointing to a stage just beyond the terrace.

Patches shook his head, like a dog trying to dry itself. “You guys are gonna have to catch me up. I’m a little lost right now,” said the pandaskunk. “Who are you?”

“Who am I?” Han seemed to resent the question, but he answered anyway. “The name’s Han Solo. I’m captain of the Millennium Falcon.”

“And this is Chewbacca, his sidekick,” added Brian.

“Ah, I wouldn’t call him my ‘sidekick,’” warned Han, as the wookiee growled. “He prefers ‘co-pilot’ or ‘first mate.’”

“Sorry, Chewie,” Brian apologized quickly. “My mistake.” Turning to Patches, he whispered, “A wookiee has one weakness, and it’s the same as my wife’s. Watch this.” He removed the brown leather cross-body bag Leighanne had designed for him and offered it to Chewbacca. “Here… for you.”

The wookiee hesitated, then snatched the satchel from Brian’s hands and slipped it on over his head. As he was admiring his new man-purse, Brian caught Patches’ eye and winked.

“Well, if you’ll excuse us, Chewie and I have got to be going, right, Chewie?” said Han. With a bark of agreement, Chewie nodded.

“Where are you going?” asked Brian.

“Home for the holidays,” said Han, smirking. “Chewie’s home, at least, on the planet Kashyyyk. We’re going there to celebrate Life Day.”

Brian and Patches exchanged glances. “Uh… Mr. Solo? Could we go with you?” Patches asked, his panda eyes pleading.

Han grinned. “What, are you in some kind of local trouble?”

Patches shook his head. “No… it’s just… neither of us really fit in here.”

Han shrugged. “Okay. But it’s gonna cost you. Ten thousand, all in advance.”

“Ten thousand?!” spluttered Patches, but Brian was already reaching for his wallet. An intergalactic vacation was worth the high price, in his opinion.

“We can pay you two thousand now,” said Brian, counting a wad of money into his hand, “plus fifteen when we return.”

“Seventeen, huh?” Han smiled. “Okay, you guys got yourself a ship. We’ll leave as soon as you’re ready.”

Yes, sir, our friends were really on their way. But not one of them knew where they would wind up.

***