- Text Size +

NOVEMBER 30th 2013, FORT MCMURRAY, ALBERTA

Cam looked outside his hotel room window, looking over frosty Fort McMurray, he was a scaffolder in the camps, as soon as he finished his program he took off into the mainland to work, he loved his job, and loved the money he made. The sun was just starting to set and everything was a beautiful purple and yellow era that cast over the whole city view. Today was his last day at work before he travelled back home to Carbonear, Newfoundland. He was gone for two months straight so he could relax and catch up with his family and friends, and to determine and decide what rotation he wanted to be set on for work. He walked around his hotel room for a minute to take in the two months that passed so quickly, he had everything a young twenty year old could have wanted, a nice car awaiting his arrival at home, great family, a great job that made him a lot of money, but Cam was missing something, he never had much luck with the ladies up there, they were either too bitchy and rude, or just plain crazy, he missed having someone to turn too deep down, he just wouldn’t admit it to himself.
Shrugging his thoughts off his shoulders, he went onto the platform and lit a cigarette, as he gazed into the now darkening blue clouds and inhaled the smoke, wondering what was going to be in store for him in the next month, laughing quietly to himself, he flicked the finished smoke down into the little plants soil that stood on the rail of the platform. He walked back into the hotel room and re-locked the patio door, he strode into the shower and undressed, let the hot water run over him after a long day being on the scaffold high up in the chilly sky. The hot water felt good against his chilled skin, after washing his hair and body he stepped out in a towel and dried his damp skin, changing into a simple pair of dark blue jeans and Rockstar energy t-shirt. He tucked his wallet in his ass pocket and grabbed his room card before leaving his room to meet his friend Adam at the bar.
Adam was the complete opposite of Cam, dark brown eyes and hair, and a husky and broad-shoulder build. Cam and Adam grew up in the same small town together and remained close, sort of like a brotherly bond, but Adam always set Cam in the right direction and set him straight when it was needed. Adam was sitting down at the bar table when Cam sat beside him, called the bartender over and ordered them both a drink.
“Last day here?” Adam observed.
“Yeah, can’t believe the two months went by that quick man, I can’t fuckin’ believe it.”
Adam chuckled and took a sip of his drink Cam ordered for him, “Yeah time flies by when you’re here, my rotation is up next week and I’ll be back home by next Thursday. What’s your plans when you gets home?”
Cam sighed wonderingly looking at the music video displayed on one of the flat screen televisions at the bar, “I have no idea, spend some time with family and the guys, see what everyone’s been at, any updates from anyone back home?”
“Well I haven’t been talking to anyone back home in the last couple of days, but I was on Facebook yesterday and from what I can gather, Mark’s doing pipefitting over to Keyin in Carbonear, Bryan and Macy are engaged, Jason’s working in Long Harbour as one of the head chefs, and Larissa’s still in Carbonear doing Business Administration.”
Cam’s eyes widened when he heard her name again, Larissa was a girl that Cam dated on and off for a year, and they stopped seeing each other about a month before Cam left to go to school, Cam never cared about her at the time, they dated at first, and tried two of three times but he never cared for anyone at that time, he tossed her aside and only made her feel like he wanted and needed her when he wanted some action. Larissa loved Cam with everything she was, she told him multiple times and make it abundantly obvious. So why is his heart going into an insanely fast rate when her name rolled off Adam’s tongue.
“Larissa?” he squeaked out, nearly chocking on his drink, when he realized he was staring off into space for about five minutes.
“Yeah she’s still in Carbonear, doing that Business course in College of the North Atlantic. She’s going to go places that girl is, gorgeous one too at that.”
“Yeah man I got to admit she’s beautiful,” he reminisced, thinking of her jet black hair, tanned skin and icy blue eyes.
“Cam man I got to say, you missed out, and from the look on your face now, your starting to realize it,” Adam’s dark brown eyes beaming into Cam, studying his every move and expression.
“What’s the odds anyway, she’s probably found someone else now and moved on, yeah she loved me but I guess I didn’t love her at the time, and now I wish I never would’ve said it was over.”
“Man I checked her profile, it says she’s still single, and the only pictures she has is with most of our crowd and some of those werid guys that don’t even have a chance with her, it’s never too late to try, if you think you can be happy with her, and she loves you, go for it you got nothing to lose,” Adam placed a comforting hand on Cam’s shoulder, “I gotta go get some sleep, work tomorrow morning, say hi to everyone back home for me, and good luck buddy.”
“Thanks buddy, I’ll see you when you gets back home in a few days,” Cam replied as Adam walked out of the bar.
Cam sighed and finished off his drink, left the money and a tip at the place where they sat, and left to go back to his room, her face, her body, her hugs and little butterfly kisses never leaving his brain even while he was packing his bags and getting ready for his last sleep in Fort Mac. He slapped his hands against his head a few times, trying to snap himself out of it, it didn’t work, going out onto the platform again and lighting his last cigarette, he figured there was a reason he kept coming back to the girl, even if it was for only an hour, she was always in the back of his mind, no matter how much he hated to admit. Cam went back into his room again and went to bed, with an early rise the next morning and a long plane ride, and only a month to make up for a half of year’s missed time, he had a lot of making up to do, only hoping it wasn’t too late.