- Text Size +
After: Reason Enough


Nick

Normally, it takes about fifteen minutes to get from Ashley's apartment to a hospital. That day, it took exactly seven minutes.

But they were the longest damn seven minutes that you ever felt.

I've never been more scared in my entire life than when Ashley reached up, put her hands on my face, drew me close, and whispered to me, "Promise me that you will keep my baby."

"Of course we're gonna keep the baby," I whispered. "We're gonna have the baby and we're gonna raise the baby up and we're gonna be a family."

Ashley's eyes were full of tears, "Promise me you won't let my baby go to an orphanage."

I wiped her tears with my thumbs. "Ashley."

"Promise me," she begged.

"Honey, I promise," I said.

Ashley put her hands back down on her stomach. She closed her eyes.

"Ashley," I said, "You aren't dying."

She looked up at me, "How do you know?" she asked me.

"Because," I said, "The universe can't be that cruel. It just can't be. I've waited too long to be with you, and the universe has worked too hard to get us here." I shook my head, "Because I love you too much to let you die."

Ashley blinked more tears, which streaked across her cheeks. "I wish that was reason enough to make it true," she whispered.

"It is baby, it is," I whispered back.

I was so absorbed in my little world with Ashley in the backseat that I had completely forgotten Chris was up front until he slammed to a stop in front of the doors to the ER. He got out of the car and opened the door behind me.

"Go get a wheel chair and a nurse," I told him. He bolted to the doors of the ER. "Baby, we're there," I said to Ashley.

"Oh good," she murmured.

"C'mon baby." I took her under her arms and slid her back with me to the edge of the back seat, gently swiveling her so she was ready to be moved out of the car. I knelt down in front of her, holding her hands. She clung to them, squeezing tightly. "I love you Ashley," I whispered, "I love you more than my life itself, you know that?"

"I love you," she mumbled.




Ashley

It hurt so bad.

I stared at Nick.

I wanted him to be the last thing I saw.

I clutched his hands. "Don't leave me," I pleaded.

He shook his head, "I won't. I'm right here."

Suddenly there were people behind him. A nurse and a doctor in dark blue scrubs and Chris with a wheel chair and the doctor made Nick move. "Nick!" I whimpered, reaching out for him. I felt him grab hold of my hand, though I couldn't see where from, and the doctor took his place in front of me.

"Hey Ashley," he said, "My name is Dr. Jorryn and I'm going to be your doctor."

"Hi Dr. Jorryn," I whispered.

"Can you tell me about your pain?" he asked. He was touching my stomach.

"It hurts," I muttered.

He nodded, "I know, I understand."

"No you don't," I whispered. "You don't have a vagina."

He laughed. "You've got me there, Ashley, I don't. But I do work with a lot of them."

"You got a dirty doctor baby," I heard Nick laugh.

Dr. Jorryn smirked. "Is this your husband?"

"No. I am," Chris said possessively.

Dr. Jorryn looked confused, but he didn't say anything. He stood up, "Can you stand up, Ashley, honey?" he asked.

"I don't know," I mumbled. I felt like I might throw up if I tried.

"We're gonna move you to the wheel chair so we can get you inside. And you know what's waiting for you inside?" he asked.

I shook my head.

"Drugs," he replied.

I looked up at him. "Yeah?"

He nodded. "And damn good ones too." He held out his hands.

I reluctantly let go of Nick to grab onto Dr. Jorryn. He pulled me up out of the car and I felt the nurse brace my back with my hands as Dr. Jorryn turned me and placed me into the wheel chair with an ease that could have only come from practice. He smiled at me, "See? That wasn't so bad, was it?"

I shook my head.

"Atta girl," he said. Then he looked at my arm. He extended my arm, studying the bruises. "What happened here?" he asked.

I shook my head.

Dr. Jorryn looked concerned, "We can talk later, inside. C'mon, let's go." He stood up, disappearing from view. The chair was suddenly accelerated around the car and I realized I wasn't holding onto Nick.

"Nick!" I cried. I heard him scramble to get to me, and he grabbed my hand and held tight as Dr. Jorryn pushed me through the doors of the hospital.