- Text Size +

AJ flew into Alissa’s driveway, slamming his brakes and jerking the truck to a stop. He ran up the steps and started pounding on the door.

 

“Alissa! Alissa! Open the door please!” AJ kept hammering on the door.

 

The door flew open but instead of finding Alissa, AJ found her cousin Brooke. Her eyes were red and puffy from crying.

 

AJ pushed past her and started calling Alissa’s name again.

 

Brooke grabbed his arm and pulled him to a stop. “She isn’t here,” Brooke said quietly. “She left for the airport this afternoon.” Brooke released his arm and walked into the living room.

 

“Airport? Why did she go to the airport?” AJ yelled chasing after Brooke.

 

Brooke slumped down onto the couch and looked at AJ with tired eyes. “She left. She’s going back to Boston. Tonight. Her plane leaves at 7:20.” Brooke looked down and didn’t say anything else.

 

AJ stood there stunned. He wanted to say something but he had no idea what. Finally, after a few minutes, he turned to Brooke and asked her quietly which airline she was leaving from.

 

“She’s leaving on United, Flight #345, Gate 7.”

 

AJ thanked her, went to leave and then turned around. “I’m sorry for this. It’s my fault.” AJ said and then walked out of the house closing the door behind him. He got into his truck and just sat there for a few moments before he noticed the time on his dashboard. 6:30. Alissa’s plane was taking off in less than an hour. He started the truck, threw it into reverse and peeled out of the driveway.

 

“What if I don’t make it in time?” was all he could think of.

---------------------------------- 

AJ was stuck in the exit lane for the airport, cursing everyone in front of him.  After 10 minutes, he finally pulled into the departure section. 7:10! He jumped out of the truck not even closing the door while security yelled at him to stop. He flew through the airport pushing people out of the way to get to the gate.

 

Shit, where are all these people coming from he thought as he got stuck behind some tour group taking pictures around the airport fountain. He shoved through them sprinting the last 500 feet to the terminal.

 

“Wait, wait!” he yelled at the airline attendant who was standing at the counter. Startled, the attendant looked up to see this man charging at her.

 

“I need to get on that plane!” AJ screamed causing everyone in the area to turn around and look at him. “I need to get someone off that plane!”

 

“I’m sorry sir, but the plane already took off.” the agent said apologetically and turned to point to the board.

 

AJ looked up. 7:23! He missed the plane by three fucking minutes! He stared at the board for a minute and then dropped down to the floor on his knees. I missed it! I missed her! Those were the only thoughts going through his head.