- Text Size +

Alissa woke up an hour later and was startled when she felt someone’s arms around her. Then she realized that it was only AJ. She heard him snoring and moved his arm slightly so she could slip out without waking him.

 

As she got up, she turned to look at him. He looked so peaceful and she had to smile. She crept out of the room and downstairs. She made herself some coffee and went outside to sit on the lounger. She thought about earlier this morning when she had hit AJ. Alissa felt awful because she never told him what had happened and now she had taken it out on him.

 

She was so lost in thought that she didn’t hear Brooke come out until she tapped her on the shoulder.

 

Alissa jumped and screamed.  “Are you trying to give me a heart attack? Why didn’t you say something?”

 

Brooke just stared at her cousin. “What is the matter with you?”

 

Alissa took a deep breath and teared up. “I’m sorry that I yelled at you. I did the same thing to AJ went he came upstairs this morning.”

 

“What happened upstairs?” Brooke asked quietly.

 

“I was sleeping and I didn’t hear him come in. He must have crawled into bed with me because all of a sudden, I heard him say “Wake up Sleeping Beauty” and I freaked out. I started yelling at him and I actually smacked him. I felt so bad when I saw the look on his face. He looked at me like he didn’t know who I was at all.”

 

Brooke looked confused. “What’s the problem with calling you Sleeping Beauty? It’s just a Disney character.”

 

“Adam called me that right before he beat me. When AJ called me that, all I heard was Adam’s voice in my head and it scared me to death. I thought he came back.” Alissa started to cry.

 

Brooke went over and sat by her cousin. “Did you tell AJ why you freaked out?”

 

Alissa nodded. “I did. He was so apologetic and it made me feel worse. I don’t want him to be walking around on eggshells around me and I don’t want him to feel like I’ll bite his head off every time I think of that night.”

 

“He’s not going to feel that way. Just explain things to him and get everything out on the table so there are no surprises next time. And I mean everything including how mean Adam was before AJ met you.”

 

Alissa thought about it for a minute. “What if AJ decides that he can’t deal with it. Or maybe he won’t want to deal with it. What if he thinks I’m a weak person and I deserved……..”

 

 

“Are you crazy?” Brooke yelled causing Alissa to jump. “Think you deserved it? Why on Earth would you even think that?”

 

“Adam said I deserved it, that I wasn’t worth it. Adam said he just kept me around until he found something better. What if AJ feels the same way?”

 

“Adam’s a fucking asshole and if AJ feels the same way, then he’s a fucking asshole too!”