- Text Size +

“What’s wrong?” Brian had to shout for Emersen to hear him.

She looked so overwhelmed and terrified.

The two were standing just off stage. Brian had wanted to give her the chance to see how things really were for him on stage.

Nick’s twin boys where finishing up their last song. The fans were screaming even louder now than they had been when the boys came out on stage.

“It’s so loud.” She told him.

He almost couldn’t hear her. “It’s always like this.” He told her.

She shook her head a bit. She didn’t like it. It was too much too soon.

“Are you alright?” Brian turned to look her in the eyes.

She felt fear creeping up on her. She wanted to tell him the truth but she didn’t want to upset him. After all, he had wanted her to see all this.

When she didn’t respond Brian worried a little. He reached his hand out to place it on her shoulder. He hoped to comfort her.

Upon seeing his hand coming towards her she closed her eyes tightly and tensed every muscle in her body.

“Hey…” He pulled his hand away and tried to gently yell to get her attention.

She opened her eyes slowly. Her heart was beating rapidly. She looked at him fearfully.

He was concerned and felt terrible for having scared her.

Upon seeing the look on his face she apologized, “I’m sorry. I’m so sorry.”

“No, no, I am. It’s not your fault. Let’s get you out of here.” He nodded and pointed off in one direction.

As the two turned to walk away a stage crew member stopped Brian, “No no, it’s time. Let’s go.”

“I can’t. I gotta get her back to the green room.” He urged.

The stage hand grabbed the sleeve of Jake and Justin’s body guard. He was in the process of getting them off stage and back to the green room.

“Take her with you.” The stage crew instructed.

Brian looked to Emersen.

She wasn’t thrilled with the idea but she just wanted to get away from the noise and chaos. She nodded letting him know it was ok.

“You sure?” Brian asked. He knew she was pretty upset.

“Yeah, you better go.” She tried to assure him and then left with the twins.

She had to stop with them in wardrobe so the twins could change back into their street clothes.

She was a bit awe struck by all the outfits and organization of everything. She thumbed through Brian’s rack of clothes as she waited on the twins.

The outfits were so different from what she had seen him wear.

“Check this out.” Jake said catching her attention. He was changed and now waiting on Justin.

Emersen walked over to where he stood.

“All of this is AJ’s.” He said opening a small black case. It was full of all kinds of jewelry.

None of it of course was anything she’d wear. “Wow, some of this is crazy.” She commented looking at a skull shaped ring.

“What’s crazy is how much this stuff cost.” Justin walked out from behind a black curtain that created a make shift dressing room.

“Which is why you guys better get out of it.” The twins guard instructed.

Jake closed the box and led the small group out of the room.

“You guys sounded really good.” Emersen told them.

“Thanks.” Jake replied as they walked into the green room where the other boys where.

“I thought you were gonna hang out and watch your dad though.” Justin commented.

The three boys in the room perked up a little interested in the topic that seemed to be at hand.

“It uh, was just overwhelming.” She was honest.

“Pretty loud huh?” Danny chimed in.

She just nodded.

“I can’t stand how loud they scream… and it’s all the time.” Max complained.

“…and they got louder the closer it got to them going out on stage.” She added. She felt so much better being away from the noise.

“I’m sure you’ll get used to it.” Drew told her. He reached over to the opposite end of a couch he sat on and moved a pillow. He then looked at her and gestured for her to sit down.

“Thanks,” She slowly took a seat. “I hope I do. Something tells me it’s not gonna let up any time soon.”

“No way, Backstreets going strong.” Jake plopped down on another couch between Max and Danny.

“So, do you guys always tour with them?” Emersen had been wondering.

“Yeah, well, I always do.” Max answered quickly. “There isn’t really anyone else to keep me. I don’t mind though.”

“Same here. I haven’t always though. When I was little my grandma used to keep me so dad could focus on building his career.” Drew went next.

“It kinda varies for me. Sometimes I’m with my mom and sometimes I’m with dad.” Danny also explained.

“Up until last tour it was kinda fifty fifty for us.” Jake told her.

“Yeah, mom and dad normally split time with us but we sing now.”

“So none of your guys mom are with your dads?” Emersen felt so much better focusing on the other boys and talking about them. It got her mind of of what had just happened and what had triggered it all.

“Nope, my parents used to be married though. Oh and Max doesn’t really count cause Howie’s actually his God-father.” Danny told her.

“I didn’t know that.” She commented looking at Max.

“Yeah, he has a girlfriend though.”

“So does mine.” Drew nodded.

“I’m pretty sure ours does too.” Justin added.

“Yeah, you’re dad’s girlfriend introduced them.” Jake nodded.

“Wait… he has a girlfriend?” She asked. It was the first she’d heard anything of her.