- Text Size +

Brian and Emersen rode the elevator at the hotel up to their floor.

“We’ll just try to break you in slowly. I never even thought about how disorienting the loud fans and music can be.” Brian commented. He still felt badly. She had seemed so scared.

The doors to the elevator slid open and they stepped off.

“It’s alright. I’m sorry I freaked out.” She said as they walked the hall to their room.

Brian nodded as they reached the door. He unlocked the door with his key card held the door open for her.

Her stuff sat neatly on one of the two beds. As she heard the door click behind her she felt a little uncomfortable.

Brian casually walked past her and sat down on the bed.

She froze a little. She was alone with him; a man that really, she still didn’t know.

“Uncomfortable?” Brian noticed looking at her.

She nodded from where she stood just inside of the hotel room.

“What can I do?” He asked. He wanted to help.

“I don’t know.” She fought wanting to cry.

“Well, what’s bothering you right now?” He questioned. He slipped his shoes off as he asked. He hoped acting casual would help calm her. Inside however he worried for her.

“I’m alone, with a man, in a room, with a bed.” She tried so hard to be honest even though it hurt.

“Ok, well… what if we…” He didn’t know what to suggest. Silently he prayed asking God for help.

“I- I’ll just have to try and… get over it.” She said awkwardly. Her eyes blinked some and she looked at her feet.

An idea sparked in Brian’s head and he suggested, “How about we try making some rules for both of us to follow? Stuff to help us both be more comfortable. Like, when we’re alone I keep on pants and a shirt.”

He hoped if he stayed covered when alone with her she’d feel more comfortable and less vulnerable.

“Changing in the bathroom with the door locked no matter what.” She added taking a step towards him.

“That would make me much more comfortable too.” He nodded. “Oh, I can make sure there are always two beds.”

She nodded, “Could we leave a bit of light on too? That way I can see you.” She paused, “No surprises that way.”

“Of course.” He offered her a smile.

“Feel better?”

“A little.” She gave him a half smile.

She slowly walked towards him and sat on the other bed.

A moment of silence passed. Just as Brian took a deep breath and allowed himself to relax she looked to him.

“So, you have a girlfriend?”

He could tell it was a statement more than a question.

“Jenny…” He trailed off.  It suddenly hit him that he hadn’t told her about Emersen yet. Sure they had been texting but, he never even though to bring her up.

“Jenny?” She asked.

“Yeah, her name is Jennifer but, I call her Jenny.” Brian said. He suddenly had an unsettled feeling in the pit of his stomach.

“Does she know yet… about me?”

Brian shook his head, “It hasn’t even occurred to me to tell her. Everything has happened so quickly.”

She nodded.

He looked at her while still thinking about how he should go about telling his girlfriend. “Maybe I’ll call her tonight.”

Emersen was quiet.

“Emmie?” Brian questioned, he wanted to make sure she was ok.

“Do you think she’ll like me?”

Brian nodded, “There is nothing not to like about you. I don’t think she’ll be very happy with me though. I guess I’ll just have to pray that she’ll take the news well.”

“I’m sorry. I feel like I’ve invaded your life.”

Brian stood, “No, not at all.”

She looked down at her hands. She was thrilled to be away from her mother and Tyler. She however felt so out of place. She went from never getting to be around anyone but them to being with a famous person who had all kinds of people around him constantly. It was pure culture shock. That on top of the pain from her past was just too much. She couldn’t help but to let the emotion vortex she was in suck her down.

She felt like such a mistake. She couldn’t bring herself to say it however.

Brian spoke grabbing her attention, “Emmie, now that I know about you, I can’t imagine my life without you. You are my daughter and even though I just met you, I love you.”

She looked to him with a twinkle of tears in her eyes.

“I know everything feels awkward for you and I know you’re still hurting from everything that happened. I know my career; my life is a lot to take in. It can’t make healing from everything easy. Emmie, you’ve been through more than anyone should ever have to so everything you’re feeling is ok. You don’t for a second need to feel like you owe me an apology for any of it. If anything I owe you one. I was irresponsible. My actions lead to you being where you were without me to protect you.”

She nodded. It was so much to take in. He was being so wonderful and even more was the fact he had said something that meant the world to her. It was the first time she could remember anyone telling her, they loved her. Her mother never had.

“We’re gonna work through all this. It may not be easy but, we’ll get there and I promise… we’ll get there together.”

“Thank you.” She nodded.

He smiled and gave her a wink. He wanted to hug her but knew it probably wasn’t a good idea.

She just flashed him a big smile, one far bigger then he was used to seeing. It was a good sign.