- Text Size +

“Alright Emmie, all you have to do is stand there and smile ok?” Brian looked her in the eyes.

A small press release had been set up at their current venue. People from the media and press flooded the room.

Some people from Brian’s team were already on the stage. Brian and Emersen stood just off to the side.

She took a deep breath and nodded. She then bit on her lip a bit.

Brian too was nervous. He hadn’t been able to work up the nerve to call Jenny last night. He’d called his parents. They were in total shock but took it well. That’s all he could put up with.

“Let’s go guys.” Someone instructed.

Quietly they both walked out on stage. Nerves took over her as whispers in her direction began. Cameras flashed around them. Brian was used to it. Emersen however was terrified. Not knowing what else to do she gripped tightly onto Brian’s hand.

Brian looked down at her hand holding his. He smiled inside and gave her a comforting look. He then turned to look at the people out in crowd. He was so thankful this was closed to the fans.

“Brian, I’ll let you take over and explain why we’re all here.” The man stepped away from the mic. and looked to Brian.

Brian looked to Emersen. She didn’t let go of his hand. He wasn’t about to make her either so he took her with him to the stand.

“Hello,” He began. He tried to act his normal self but he was nervous. “I’m here today to announce that I am father. This is my daughter, Emersen Kate. I did not know she existed until recently. Her mother kept her a secret from her. Recently her mother passed away. My information on her birth certificate lead officials to finding me and granting me custody.”

Brian paused to squeeze her hand gently and let the press and media take in what he had just said.

Continuing he said, “As I’m sure you all can imagine this has been a very hard adjustment for both she and myself. I’m asking for privacy as both of us try to move forward and heal. Thank you.”

With that he nodded and left the stage. He wasn’t interested in answering any questions despite everyone yelling them as he lead Emersen away.

“You did great.” Brian gave her a big smile as she finally let go of his hand.

“It was easier with you next to me.” She told him.

Before much else could be said the two were being directed into a van. Brian had a radio spot with the boys he had to get to.

“So what do I do? I don’t have to talk do I?” Emersen asked.

“No, it just me and fellas. Don’t worry. I imagine you’ll just sit off to the side quietly.” Brian replied.

She nodded.

Before Brian could arrive at the studio however his cell phone began to ring. It was Jenny.

“Here where everything could blow up.” Brian said showing Emersen who was calling.

He swallowed hard and picked up, “Hey baby.”

“Don’t baby me.” She quickly rebutted.

“Jenny…”

“No, you lied to me Brian. You told me you were a virgin. You took a vow with me to remain abstinent until and if we decided to get married. How could you?” She sounded a mix of anger and heart break.

“Jennifer, I know you are angry but I promise I had forgotten all about it. Kevin had to remind me. I… I was drunk. It was only once.”

“Kevin had to remind you?” She didn’t sound like she believed him.

“Yes, call and ask him.” He paused, “Jenny please, I love you and I would never hurt you. You know this.”

The line was silent. It scared him.

“I believe you.” Her voice was soft.

“Thank God.” He sighed.

“Brian…” She cut him off. “I need to go. I just… I need to let all this sink in.”

“Jenny…” He worried trailing off.

“I’m not gonna break up with you, I just… I need to think.”

“I understand.” He nodded.

Emersen silently looked on.

“I do still love you Brian.” She assured him.

“I love you too Jenny and I need you.” He confessed.

“I know. We’ll talk later.” She sounded calmed.

“Bye baby.”

“Bye.”

With that the two hung up. Brian looked to his daughter.

“Final verdict?” She asked.

“I think the jury is still out but, it looks promising.” He replied as they pulled into the radio station parking lot.

“I…”

Brian quickly cut her off, “Don’t say it. You have nothing to be sorry about. None of this is your fault.”

She blushed a bit then asked, “How did you know I was gonna say that?”

He wasn’t sure honestly. It was just a feeling he had inside.

“I… I guess it was my fatherly instinct kicking in.”

“We really are gonna be ok someday aren’t we?” She asked with a bit of light in her eyes.

“Yeah… we are.” He smiled and quietly they got out of the van.

Chapter End Notes:

If you are still reading this make sure to review! Constructive critism is more then welcome!