- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

This chapter is just a little bit shorter then the rest. Hope you like it anyway!

Brian glanced at everyone in the room then took off following her.

“Emmie.” He called chasing her.

She heard him but kept running till she reached the end of a long hall. She placed her back against the wall and slid down it. Pulling her knees to her chest she hid her face and began to cry.

“Emersen?” Brian questioned a bit worried.

“I’m sorry, I’m so sorry. I know you told me not to say that but I can’t help it cause I am.” She cried.

Brian squatted down to her level, “Emmie, it’s ok. I just don’t understand what happened.”

She looked up at him with a tear stained face. She then shook her head a bit before wiping the tears away, “I’m so uncomfortable. I don’t wanna be but I am.”

Brian sat all the way on the floor and just listened.

“I feel like a thin piece of glass. So fragile, like the littlest thing is gonna make me crack and break. I hate it. I wanna feel normal.”

“That’s why I suggested a counselor before. It’s not your fault but, you’re really hurting and… well, you need someone to help you through this.” Brian didn’t wanna force her but he knew it was what she needed.

“I know but I don’t like talking about it. It’s so painful to even think about.” She now hugged her knees.

“I can only imagine. Are you wanting to feel this way forever though?” Brian asked.

She shook her head no.

“Then we need to find someone you can talk you. I mean, the thought of swimming with a couple boys scared you. That’s not normal. There are so many skilled people out there who can help you through it all.” Brian now insisted.

“Would you be with me?” She whispered.

“If that would make you more comfortable.” He gently placed a hand on her elbow.

“Ok,” She caved nodding.

“I’m so proud of you. I think this will be great in the long run.” He couldn’t help but encourage her.

She nodded and the two became silent.

“What part of swimming bothered you?” He had to know.

“Seeing them all shirtless, then you kept trying to encourage me and… it just got to me. I’m sorry I ran out. I shouldn’t have.”

“Yeah, in my life it’s kinda dangerous to run off alone. I think I need to get you a counselor and a body guard.”

She wasn’t sure how she felt about a body guard but she trusted that he was right.

“Oh, and a tutor… I almost forgot.” Brian added.

“Can the body guard be the only guy though? I know I sound like a big baby.”

Brian smiled, “You don’t sound like a baby, you sound like a girl trying to protect herself. That’s a good thing.”

She smiled back.

“Oh… and yes, I’ll get you some girls.” He laughed and stood. He then reached a hand out to her.

She looked at it for a moment then took it and let him help her stand.

“Don’t be afraid to talk to me. If you feel like I’m pushing you or if I’m doing something to upset you; just tell me. I love you and I wanna be here for you.”

She nodded, “Thanks”

“No problem.” He gave her a wink.

“I mean it, thanks for everything. You’ve done and are doing so much for me. Words cant being to express how much it means.” She felt a little teary again.

“You are more than welcome.” He wanted to pull her in his arms but chose not to.

As they started back she began to think, “You know, my mom was messed up and made a lot of stupid decisions but there is one thing she did right.”

Brian was extra curious, “What’s that?”

She stopped walking, “She made you my dad.”

He looked into her eyes as he now felt tears coming on.

Seeing him near tears put an incredible feeling in her heart. She knew he cared so deeply for her and a moment like this was so much more than proof.

“I love you Emersen Kate.” He said taking her hands and looking directly at her.

“I- I love you too.” It came out sounding very awkward but Brian knew it was sincere.

Without another word the two fell into a hug. It only lasted for a quick second but it was enough to make the tears fall down Brian’s face.

As she pulled away she asked, “Would it be ok if I called you dad now?”

Brian smiled and chuckled a little as he nodded. Wiping his tears away he said, “Yes sweetie, I’d love that.”