- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

one good thing about being home from work sick is you have time to give an extra update. Enjoy!

Monday had come all too slowly. The weekend had been long and rather painful. The young girl had been beaten twice more.

With Monday however came school. School was a break from the pain.

Today it was unusually hot for the time of year it was. Even the news said it was record breaking.

As she reached the bus stop and climbed on board she took note of the other kids all wearing shorts and t-shirts. They laughed looking at her. She wore long jean pants and long sweater over a t-shirt.

It seemed like a dumb choice but she had to. If she dressed weather appropriate the kids and school staff would see the marks and bruises that decorated her arms and legs.

She silently took a seat near the back of the bus by herself. She closed her eyes and tried her best to block out the teasing of the other children. The heat made her extremely uncomfortable and sweat dripped down her forehead.

Before she knew it, she blacked out completely.

When she came to she was no longer on the bus. She had a slight pain in the top of her left hand and she was lying down.

Her eyes blinked open and fear instantly washed over her. She was in a hospital room. She had an IV in her hand and was lying in a hospital bed wearing a gown.

She tried to sit up but felt dizzy as she did.

“Lay down sweetie, you’re ok.” A black woman in scrubs was in her room.

“What’s going on?” her voice was soft.

“The bus driver found you passed out. The doctor thinks you had a heat stroke of sorts.” She explained as she finished checking the monitors.

“I feel fine now, can I leave?” She asked. She was afraid of her mother finding out she was here.

“No sweetie, there are some detectives here you need to speak to first.”

Her heart jumped into her mouth and tears stung her eyes. “Where’s my mom and Tyler?” She was scared.

“Don’t you worry, everything is gonna be fine. Since you feel fine I’ll send them in now.” With that she left.

The young girl looked around her. She had to get out of here. As she tried to sit up however two people walked into her room.

“Hi, I’m Detective Kathy and this is my partner Detective Nick.” Her shoulder length red hair was pretty.

She laid back and just looked at them.

“We got a call from a doctor. He reported that he found signs of child abuse.” The man with jet black hair explained.

The tear she had been holding back began to fall.

“Don’t cry, we are here to help you.” Kathy tried to assure her.

It didn’t help much. She was scared. When her mom and Tyler found out they both would kill her.

“Whatever is happening at home… we can make it stop. You just have to tell us all the details.” Nick tried to approach her bed but she instantly looked more afraid. He noticed and step back as he glanced at his partner.

The room was silent for a moment. She replayed his comment in her head, ‘we can make it stop.’ Was that really true?

“Uh, Nick why don’t you give us some girl time?”

He nodded at Kathy and stepped into the hall.

“Why don’t we start by you telling me how those bruises got all over you?”

She opened her mouth but closed it back. She looked towards the door and whispered, “Where’s my mom and Tyler?”

“They aren’t here. You don’t have to be afraid. I’m going to protect you.”

She looked at her deeply. She wanted it to be true. She wanted to trust that it wasn’t a lie.

“Did your mom and Tyler put the bruises on your arms and legs and stomach?” Kathy asked.

She shook her head, “No, Tyler doesn’t hit me so long as I do what he says.”

Kathy began to take notes on a legal pad. “So then, your mom hits you? She made all these bruises?”

The young girl wiped her tears away, “Yes.”

“What do you have to do to make Tyler not hit you?”

Instantly she had a flash back on Tyler pinning her down. Once again she could feel his hot sticky flesh on hers and she could feel him deep within her.

Tears uncontrollably fell from her eyes, “Please…”

“Please what?” Kathy seemed worried.

“Please don’t let him do it anymore. Don’t make me go back.”

“Honey, I promise you don’t have to go back. I won’t make you. Just help me out and tell me what he did.”

“He, he…” She tried so hard to collect herself. “He makes me have sex with him.” She cried harder. “Every time mom isn’t home he does it. I tried to tell her but she didn’t believe me. She said I was lying and hit me, a lot.”

“Alright, it’s ok now. You don’t have to tell me anymore right now.”

She nodded and hid her face in her hands.

Kathy’s hand gently rested on her shoulder, “I promise I will do everything I can to make him pay for everything he did for you. I promise I’m gonna get your mom too. They will never be able to hurt you again.”

She just kept crying. The tears were somewhat from the pain of having to speak about her pain but they were also full of relief. If this detective wasn’t lying then certainly everything would be ok now.

“I’m going to go speak with my partner and he and I are going to make some phone calls. I’ll let the nurse know your mother and Tyler are not to be anywhere near you. Just rest easy for now and I’ll be back very soon.”

She looked a bit scared to let Kathy go.

“Tell you what; I’ll have someone from hospital security stand guard at your door. I just have to make arrangements for you to come with me once the doctor says you can leave. I’ll be back as soon as I’m done. It’s ok now.” Kathy gave her a warm confident smile.