- Text Size +

Alissa spent a few more days in the hospital with AJ barely leaving her side. They had missed out on so much time together. Denise brought James by every day to see his mom and AJ went home for a few hours to feed him and let his mother have some time off.

 

The doctor finally agreed to let Alissa go home and no one was happier about that than she was. She could talk normally now and hold her son for a short time. They said she would have to be on bed rest for a week longer and then she could start moving around a little more each day.

 

AJ brought her to the home he had bought. She was shocked by everything and thanked him for taking care of everything for the last few months.

 

“This is beautiful AJ.”

 

He carried her through the door and gave her a brief tour before settling her into the new sleigh bed.

 

“It’s just like the one from your mother’s.”

 

He smiled. “I know how much you loved your room there and I wanted to bring that here for you.”

 

“The bed doesn’t even look slept in.”

 

“That’s because it never was.” AJ said quietly. “I slept in one of the guest rooms. I couldn’t handle sleeping in a bed without you.”

 

Tears formed in her eyes.  “I’m sorry this was so hard on you AJ. It’s not fair. I wish that this whole thing never happened.”

 

AJ leaned over and kissed her gently. “You know what? I don’t want to talk about it anymore. All I want to do is enjoy you being home and us being a family again.”

 

Alissa smiled up at him. “Is James awake?”

 

“He’s still sleeping but I’ll bring him in as soon as he wakes up. Try and get some rest and I’ll go get you something to drink.” He leaned over and kissed her again. “I love you Liss.”

 

“I love you too AJ.”

 

Alissa rested for a few hours and then felt as though she was strong enough to feed James. She loved holding him in her arms and watching him stare up at her from his little eyes. AJ smiled as he looked at her holding their son. This is what life should be like.

 

After a while, James started getting sleepy and AJ took him back to the nursery. He returned to their bedroom and found Alissa yawning.

 

“Like mother like son huh?” he asked teasing her.

 

She tried to toss a pillow at him but it only wound up on the floor. “Be quiet you.”

 

AJ laughed and went into the bathroom to change. He crawled into bed next to Alissa and wrapped his arms around her.

 

“I finally get to sleep in my own bed.”

 

“Our bed” Alissa reminded him.

 

“Our bed.” he said and smiled. “I love you Liss.”

 

“I love you too AJ. Get some sleep tonight.”

 

“Trust me, I will.”

 

They were both asleep in minutes.

 -------------------- 

A week had passed and Alissa was able to get around the house more. She was much stronger than she was before and she could now take care of James by herself.  AJ was still nervous so he asked Denise to come stay with her while he ran some errands. He came home to find the two of them talking in James’ room.

 

“AJ, will you tell your mom that it’s ok for me to go downstairs? I think she’s holding me hostage.”

 

AJ smiled.  “Alright Ma, you’re relieved”

 

Denise laughed. “I’ll be downstairs.”

 

AJ pulled Alissa into a bear hug. “I love you Liss.” He leaned in and kissed her deeply.

 

She pulled back and looked at him with a grin. “Exactly what are you doing Mr. McLean?”

 

“Kissing the most beautiful woman on the planet and counting the hours before we can head back to bed.” He put on a sad face. “But that will have to wait for now.  Can you come out back with me for a minute?”

 

Alissa gave him a funny look.

 

“Please?”

 

“What’s going on AJ?”

 

“Nothing, I promise. Please?”

 

“Alright.”

 

She followed him downstairs and out to the patio. Stepping out the door, she was shocked to see everyone standing out in their yard.

 

“Surprise!”