- Text Size +

Chapter 18

            A complete week went past and it was a daily occurrence that Rich and Heather spent time together. Nick would call on a daily basis too if he wasn’t taking Heather out on a date.

            They got close really quickly and I mean really close. After a while of continually seeing each other date after date and talking with each other daily that bond that was forming intensified.

*******Heather’s Point of View*******

Dear Violet,

            I have a lot of explaining to do I know. I am so sorry that I am a day late in updating you but I have a good reason for not writing anything last night. I wasn’t home all night. Where was I you ask? I was with Nick all night. Yes all night! I have to start from the beginning but I’ll shorten it a little bit.

            So he called me up and asked if I would like to go to dinner at a club and go dancing afterward. Obviously I said yes because who would say no to Nick Carter? He said to get dolled up so I did. Remember I told you about that strapless white dress with purple splashed onto it that I just bought? Well I wore that and Rose did my hair and make up for me. She made me look fabulous and she said that my new dress was beautiful on me. Luckily Nick agreed. He couldn’t stop staring at me the entire night and I can’t count how many times he called me beautiful. You can imagine how fantastic his words and the way he kept looking at me made me feel. I mean come on! It’s Nick Carter for crying out loud! But now I’m sounding shallow. Besides the fact that he is drop dead gorgeous and is my number one celebrity crush, he is such a gentleman and he treats me incredibly well. He’s just all around perfect!

            He took me dancing after dinner at a fancy club in NYC. It was kind of a weird mix. Everyone was dressed up like they were going to a ballroom yet instead of classy music we were dancing to club music. Nick and I were having a lot of fun though. He was dancing pretty close to me and I wasn’t complaining at all! And did I mention he looked really hot? He was wearing a dark gray suit and matching jacket with a white shirt. He didn’t wear a tie which was fine with me because his shirt was unbuttoned enough to show off some of his nicely muscled chest. He had his hair spiked up just the way I liked it and in the club lights his eyes were a sexy dark blue. Although his eyes are always sexy no matter what shade of blue they seem to be.                     

             When we were both tired and the club crowd started to die down we headed toward the door. Nick was going to walk me back to the hotel he was staying at because I parked my car in the hotel lot. The restaurant and club were right next to the hotel. Just as we stepped out the front door the heavens opened up and rain poured down in buckets. We jumped back under the awning to stay dry.

            “Perfect summer weather for ya,” I commented. “We’re stuck here under the awning without an umbrella.”   

            Nick took off his jacket.

            “What are you doing?” I asked.

            “Here’s your umbrella.”

            “Nick you didn’t have to do that.”

            “I’m being a gentle man,” he smiled warmly at me. “It’s a good thing the hotel is only two buildings down. If we run we won’t get too wet.”

            “Ok let’s run then.” I covered my head and shoulders with Nick’s jacket.

            “One…” Nick started counting, “two… three!”

            He grabbed my hand then dashed toward the hotel. I did a pretty good job of keeping up with him even in high heels.

            “That was fun wasn’t it?” Nick grinned once we stepped into the hotel lobby.

            “It was fun actually,” I smiled back.

            Nick chuckled in return, “You did a pretty good job of keeping up with me.”

            “It was not an easy task in heels.”

            We both laughed in response.

            “Well Nick I had a lot of fun tonight, like all the other dates we’ve been on. I better get home though.”

            “Why don’t you stay for a little? At least until the rain dies down.”

            “I can’t Nick. I gotta get home to take care of my dogs.”

            “I thought Melina was staying with you. Did she go back to Germany already?”

            “No she’s still here but she’s staying at her cousin’s house for a few days.”

            “Your dogs will be fine. Please stay with me for a little bit. It’s pouring out there. I don’t want you driving home in this.”

            “Nick…”

            “We can watch a movie and just relax. I’ll still be a gentleman. I promise.”

            I glanced into his sky blue eyes and thought for a second, “Ok I’ll stay to watch a movie.”

            Nick offered his hand and I gracefully placed mine on top of it. 

            We made our way up to Nick’s suite in silence. I was a little nervous about what might happen inside the suite yet something told me I could trust Nick.

            He opened the door and said, “Welcome to my temporary home away from home.”

            I took a few steps inside and exclaimed, “This is beautiful Nick!”

            “Let me show you around.”

            He gave me a quick tour of the suite then showed me back into the living area.

            “Thanks again for sacrificing your jacket to keep me dry,” I handed him the soaked jacket.

            “Don’t mention it. I can always drop it off at the dry cleaners anyway. Or just get a new jacket it’s no big deal. I didn’t want you and that pretty dress of yours to get wet.”

            “You really are a gentleman aren’t you?”

            “I try to be,” he flashed another warm smile at me. “Please make yourself at home. Kick off your shoes, make yourself comfortable. Excuse me for one moment while I change out of these wet clothes. And I hope you won’t mind me being completely under dressed compared to you.”

            I giggled, “Nick its ok. This is your home away from home so you can do whatever you want.”

            “I’ll be right back,” Nick disappeared into the bedroom and closed the door behind him.

            I took a seat on the comfortable couch, stepped out of my heels and fished for my phone in my purse.

            I dialed Rose, “Hey Rosie.”

            “Hey Heather. What’s up?”

            “Can I ask a really big favor of you?”

            “Sure. You know I’ll do anything for ya.”

            “Could you take a ride over to my house and let out the Puppies and feed them please?”

            “Sure. May I ask where you are?”

            “I’m with Nick right now and I don’t know how bad the rain is back home but it’s close to hurricane weather here so I’m going to see if it dies down before I drive in this crap.”

            “Okay. May I ask where exactly you are with Nick?”

            “Well I’m in his hotel room right now.”

            Rose gasped, “Heather!”

            “Rose shush! I’m not like that. You know me!”

            “That’s why I gasped! That doesn’t sound like you at all! How did you end up in his hotel room?!”

            “We went to the club first which was two buildings away from the hotel. We stepped outside and the heavens opened. He wouldn’t let me go home in this shit so here I am in his room waiting for the weather to die down. Trust me I will hit the road as soon as the weather gets better. But don’t worry about me. It feels like I’ve known him for years and he is such a gentleman. And you know how strong headed I am. When I say no I mean it and I won’t let anybody change my mind about that not even Nick.”

            “Ok Heather. But if something, ANYTHING, goes wrong call me right away. I don’t want you making the same mistake I made back in high school.”

            “Ok Rose I will. And thanks for the favor.”

            “You’re welcome. Be smart about this girl.”

            “I will Rosie. You don’t have to worry about me,” I reassured my best friend. 

            Just as I hung up Nick came back into the room.

            “You look really comfy,” I commented on his white tank top, gray sweat pants and sweat jacket.

            “I am very comfy. Are you comfortable? I can lend you sweat pants and a t-shirt if you’d like.”

            “No thank you Nick. I’m fine.”

            “Ok then,” he sat down on the couch next to me and flipped on the plasma screen TV. He turned to the on-demand channel then handed me the remote, “You can pick which ever movie you want to watch.”

            I flipped through the list of movies until I came across Hidalgo, “I haven’t since this movie in a while.”

            “What’s it about?”

            “It’s about this man named Frank T. Hopkins and his horse Hidalgo who were the best long distance racers of their time.”

            “Sounds interesting. Do you like horses?”

            “I love them. My friend’s family used to own horses. They taught him, me and my sister how to ride and I fell in love with riding. I had a horse of my own for a few years until I couldn’t afford him anymore. I still ride when I can.”

            “My aunt taught me how to ride when I was little but I wasn’t really interested in it. Then I kind of got back into riding while filming The Hollow. Those movie horses were so smart I couldn’t believe it. I have a lot more respect for horses because of them. They’re amazing animals.”

            “Yes they are. I miss riding.”

            “I’ll tell ya what. I’ll find a riding stable and I’ll take you riding tomorrow.”

            I grinned, “You’re too sweet but I only ride with my sister. It’s the one special thing we do together just the two of us.”

            “Oh ok. I understand. Do you want popcorn to go along with the movie?”

            “That sounds good.”

            Nick got up and walked into the kitchen area. He grabbed a bag of white cheddar popcorn and a handful of napkins then sat back down next to me this time a little closer. I started the movie and Nick placed the popcorn between us.

            About a quarter into the movie Nick glanced over at me.

            “Are you comfortable?”

            I was sitting very straight with my legs pushed tightly together. I must have looked like I was sitting in a desk during a class in a strict private school. 

            “Yeah I’m fine,” I lied.

            He grinned as he looked into my eyes, “It doesn’t sound like you’re comfortable. Heather, please make yourself at home.”

            I inched closer to him then folded my legs behind me, “Now I’m comfy.”

            “Good,” he placed his arm on the top of the couch behind my head. I started to get nervous but stayed calm.

            As the movie continued Nick’s arm inched closer and closer to my shoulders. In return I slowly rested my head on his strong shoulder.

            I breathed in his cologne, which was strangely familiar, and I could feel my eyes start to get heavy.

            Come on focus on the movie, I thought to myself. Stay awake.

            When the movie ended I raised my head, “How’d you like it Nick?”

            “That was really cool. I liked it a lot. That horse was gorgeous.”

            “I’m glad. I love that movie. It’s one of my favorites.”

            “Heather I’ve been wondering something,” he looked at me.

            “What is it?”

            “I’ve been wondering, do you know that song Don’t You Wanna Stay by Jason Aldean and Kelly Clarkson?”

            “Yes I do.”

            “I have been thinking about your singing voice all day today and I was hoping that you would sing that song with me tonight.”

            “I’d love to Nick,” I smiled. I wasn’t going to pass up the once in a lifetime chance to fulfill my dream of singing a duet with Nick even if it was the song I was least expecting.

            He smiled widely, “Awesome!” He got up excitedly from the couch and grabbed his guitar. “Come sit on the bed with me. It’s more comfortable than that old couch.”

            I got up hesitantly but followed him anyway. I sat on the edge of the bed. I wanted to put some distance between the two of us but Nick sat down right next to me. I started to shake a little.

            He started playing the beginning of the song then started singing, “I really hate to let this moment go/Touchin’ your skin and you hair fallin’ slow/When a good bye kiss feels like this.”

            I took a deep breath in and sang the chorus with him, “Don’t you wanna stay here a little while/ Don’t you wanna hold each other tight/ Don’t you wanna fall asleep with me tonight/ Don’t you wanna stay here a little while/ We can make forever feel this way/ Don’t you wanna stay?”

            I then looked into Nick’s eyes as I stopped shaking and sang, “Let’s take it slow I don’t wanna move too fast/ I don’t wanna just make love I wanna make love last/ When you’re up this high, it’s a sad good bye.”

            He joined me for the chorus again, “Don’t you wanna stay here a little while/ Don’t you wanna hold each other tight/ Don’t you wanna fall asleep with me tonight/ Don’t you wanna stay here a little while/ We can make forever feel this way/ Don’t you wanna stay?”

            Then I closed my eyes and belted out, “Oh yeah!”

            Nick crooned, “Whoa it feels so perfect baby!”

            I echoed, “It feels so perfect baby!”

            Together we finished the song, “Don’t you wanna stay here a little while/ Don’t you wanna hold each other tight/ Don’t you wanna fall asleep with me tonight/ Don’t you wanna stay here a little while/ We can make forever feel this way/ Don’t you wanna stay? Yeah/ Don’t you wanna stay/ Yeah, yeah.”

            He finished the ending of the song on the guitar then stared into my eyes. He smiled brightly, “That was beautiful. You have an amazing voice. I have to say that you took my breath away when you sang Unmistakable with your friends.”

            I blushed, “I’m not that good but thank you.”

            He chuckled, “Yes you are! And you put so much emotion and passion into your singing. You’re a pro. You’re students must love having you teach choir.”

            “I guess you could say that.”

            “Ya know that song just made me even more attracted to you. I didn’t think that was possible because I’m very, very attracted to you Heather.” He put down his guitar and moved closer. He started making a trail of kisses from my bare shoulder up my neck. I closed my eyes and melted as he did so.

            “Nick, I’m attracted to you also but,” I placed my hand on his chest and pushed him away snapping back to reality, “I’m also logical and looking for a relationship that will last. I’ve already done this before. I’ve jumped into bed with someone I just met and I only got hurt. I don’t want that to happen again.”

            He placed his hand under my chin and moved my face so we were looking into each other’s eyes and our lips were inches apart. At this point I’m thinking, Holy crap this is sexy! I don’t know how I can control myself.

            “I would never hurt you,” he spoke gently over my lips. “And that’s a promise.” He looked into my eyes as he said that.

            He slowly leaned closer to my lips and I gulped. But once our lips met my body went limp as Nick’s kiss sent my heart into over drive. The kiss became deeper and I felt Nick’s hand lay gently on my back. I daintily rested mine on his shoulder and he brought my body closer to his. That kiss made me feel safe, made me feel like I could really trust Nick. And dam was it hot!

            He pulled away from me to ask in a whisper, “What do you say now?”

            After catching my breath and coming back down to Earth I replied, “I don’t wanna just make love I wanna make love last. I know it’s corny to quote the song but its true Nick. I don’t want to get intimate with you if there’s no long term relationship following it.”

            Nick pushed a long piece of my hair behind my ear, “I’m more than willing to let that happen if you are.”

            I smirked then kissed him again. I pulled away from his lips slowly to say seductively, “Unzip my dress.”

            One side of his lips curved into a playful smile before his lips crashed onto mine and his fingers skillfully unzipped my dress.

            This morning I woke up when the warm sunlight hit my face. I was lying on Nick’s bare, well muscled chest with his arms wrapped around my waist. His grip was tight yet gentle and it made me feel so secure and warm.    

            “Good morning beautiful,” Nick whispered when I lifted my head.

            “Good morning Nick,” I smiled at him.

            “I’m really glad you stayed with me last night.”

            “I can’t believe I did to be honest. I normally don’t jump into bed after the first kiss.”

            “Was it a bad thing to stay with me? Are you regretting staying the night?”

            “No, no it wasn’t a bad thing and I’m not regretting it. I haven’t felt a connection with someone like I did with you last night in years. It just seems all too good to be true. I mean we haven’t even known each other for a month yet and it feels like I have known you my whole life. The connection we have is so strong it’s incredible. It feels like a dream, a perfect dream.”

            “I know what you mean. And I want this dream to last,” he looked lovingly into my eyes and ran his fingers through my hair. He kissed me sweetly then said, “I want you to know that I mean it when I say I want what we have to last.”

            Then he actually said it! Nick actually said it to me this morning!!! He stared into my eyes and actually said the words I always dreamed he would say to me! These were his exact words, “Heather, I felt this unbelievable connection from the first time I saw you. I’ve never felt something like that with anyone else before. You’re special Heather, very special. You are so different from other fans. We have gotten to know each so well in a matter of days it’s mind blowing! I have never met anyone like you before and I have never been so uncontrollably attracted to someone as I am to you. Heather…,” he paused to smile at me. He grabbed my hand and looked into my eyes again, “I haven’t believed in love at first sight but I do now because of you.”

            Now as you can imagine I was STUNNED! And like a dumbass I asked while stuttering, “Wh…wh…what are saying Nick?”

            He gave a cute little giggle, pushed a strand of my hair behind my ear and replied, “I’m saying I love you.  And I’m not saying that just because of what happened last night. I really do love you.”

            I know what you’re thinking because I thought the same thing. Are you sure you’re not dreaming Heather? And the answer is no I’m not dreaming because I know for a fact that I was lying naked in a hotel room with my body pressed against Nick’s. I was so close I could feel his heartbeat.

            “Nick…” I couldn’t find the words to say to him at first until I smiled widely, “I love you too. And I’m not just saying that because you’re a Backstreet Boy and the fact that I have had a huge crush on you for ages. I love you for who you are and I felt the same connection from the start. I just wasn’t sure if you felt the same way or not. You have made me so happy!”

            He grinned cutely at me, “You don’t know how happy you have just made me.” He leaned in and kissed me excitedly. Oh man that kiss! It left me breathless. But yet it’s true… I have fallen in love with Nick Carter… the person, the actual person. I think my life is finally coming back together again. I have Rich back and now I think a real relationship is starting.

            I’m going to end here for the day because I’m still buzzing from that kiss! Anyways I’ll write more tonight after I hang out with Rich. HMH

            P.S. I have to admit that I am a little scared of what is going to happen between Nick and me. I keep thinking about that dickwad of a boyfriend who said he loved me after the second date. He only said that to me to get in my pants. That had to be the biggest mistake of my life and I don’t want that to happen again. Nick seems different but still I’m not sure. I mean I trust him but deep inside I’m still… nervous I guess you’d say. I guess I’ll always be like that because of that last asshole. I feel like I know Nick really well but I still need to figure him out. Maybe I shouldn’t have told him I love him back. But who am I kidding? I’m falling for him, fast and hard. I don’t normally believe in love after the first kiss but there’s a 1st time for everything right?”