- Text Size +

Chapter 21

            As Heather drove home she conference called her Backstreet Buds and dished everything that happed with her and the two guys secretly fighting over her.

            There was silence on the other lines after Heather spilled every detail until Kelshie and Jess screamed, “YOU LUCKY BITCH! You have two hot guys chasing you!”

            “I wish I had two guys interested in me at the same time,” Melina commented.

            “I never knew you would date two guys at once!” Kelshie exclaimed.

            “Yeah you’re the goody-two-shoes out of us Hermie!” Jess cackled.

            “Which one are you going to choose bloodsis?” Melina questioned.

            Melina’s question hit her like a ton of bricks. She never thought about which guy she liked more.

            “To be honest, I’ve never thought about that before. They are both amazing guys but come to think of it I’m not sure if it’ll work with either one of them because they’ll both be going on tour and if I do choose one I’ll only be seeing the other one if I do go on tour too.”

            “Are you going to tell them that?” Jess asked.

            “I want to but I don’t want to hurt either of them. Besides I want to have some more fun first.”

            “HERMIE!” her Backstreet Buds screamed.

            “What?” she laughed at her best friends’ outburst.

            “Who are you and what have you done with our best friend?” Kelshie said dramatically.

            Jess said, “This is not like you at all Heather! You never take risks like this.”

            “Well there’s a first time for everything right?”

            “I guess so but you better be careful.”

            “I don’t want to see you with a broken heart sis,” Melina interjected.

            “All three of us don’t want to see you like that,” Kelshie added.

            “I can have fun and still be careful at the same time,” Heather said. “Oh speaking of having fun do you guys want to go to another BSB concert with me tonight? Rich gave me two tickets and so did Nick.”

            “I would love to but I have to babysit my niece tonight,” Jess said.

            “I have no car,” Kelshie replied. “It’s at the garage being fixed as we speak.”

            “I have a family reunion tomorrow and some of my family is coming over tonight,” Melina said.

            “Ok.  I’ll ask Amanda and Caitlin if they want to go with me and maybe Steph or Rose.”

            “Just be careful tonight,” Kelshie warned.

            “I will. I will. I’ll call you all tomorrow when I can so I can tell you what happened. I love you guys.”

            “We love you too,” her Backstreet Buds replied.

            When she pulled into the drive way she hung up and as she got out of the car she dialed Rose.

            She and Rose had the same conversation as Heather had with her Backstreet Buds.

            “Since when did you become a slut Heather?!” Rose said jokingly.

            “I am not a slut!” Heather defended herself. “I just really like both of them at the same time that’s all.”

            “You better be careful.”

            Heather laughed slightly, “I’ve already heard that from the Backstreet Buds. And speaking of Backstreet, I have three extra tickets and I was wondering if you’d like to come with me to the show and after party tonight.”

            “Me go to a Backstreet concert?”

            “Oh yeah that’s right. You don’t go to any concert that won’t have a mosh pit.”

            “You got it,” Rose laughed.

            “Then would you mind puppy-sitting tonight?”

            “I would love to take care of the Puppies!”

            “And if you’d like you can stay over because I’ll be home late and this way I’ll be able to tell you all about the concert first hand.”

            “I’m actually going to stay at Anthony’s house tonight but I’ll go over to yours for a little bit and puppy-sit before I go to Anthony’s.”

            “That works. I’m going to leave at like 5 and I’ll feed the dogs before I leave. If I don’t see you before I leave have a good time with your boyfriend,” Heather said playfully.

            “Oh thank you I will,” Rose laughed her reply. “And you have fun at the concert but be careful.”

            “Thanks Rose I will do both. Oh and if you talk to my sister don’t tell her about Nick and Rich. She doesn’t know and I don’t need her ripping my head off.”

            “I won’t say a word.”

            “Thanks Rose. You’re the best!”

            “I know I am.”

            The next person she called was her good friend Amanda. She didn’t go into detail about what was going on she just asked if she wanted to go to the show and after party.

            “Me refuse free tickets?” Amanda said, “I will be happy to go tonight.”

            “Great! Do you know if Caitlin is free tonight?”

            “I’m right here Heather,” Caitlin, Heather’s other good friend, said into the phone.

            “Oh hey Caitlin! Would you like to go with us to the Backstreet show and after party tonight?”

            “That’s a dumb question my dear. I love BSB! Tell me when and where and I’ll be there.”

            “It’s at the Izod center and the doors open at 7. I’m leaving the house at 5 so I can get the tickets. I figured we’ll just meet each other at the center.”

            “What do you mean you still have to get the tickets?” Amanda questioned.

            “I thought you have the tickets with you,” Caitlin interjected.

            “Let me explain,” Heather started. She didn’t say a word about Nick. She just stuck to Rich’s side of the story leaving out the whole love confession part.

            Amanda interjected after Heather finished, “The only thing is we both have to work tomorrow so Caitlin and I will car pool.”

            “That works for me because I have to change quickly and freshen up a bit. I’ll meet you guys at the concert.”

            “See you there,” they both replied.

            The last person she called was her sister Stephanie. She too agreed to going to the concert but not the after party. Now all Heather had to worry about was keeping her secrets from Nick and Rich.

            Once she got to the Izod center she walked up to the man guarding the main entrance doors.

            “Can I help you?” he asked kindly.

            “Nick wanted me to tell you that I’m the girl behind the mask.”

            He smiled and handed Heather the tickets, “Enjoy the show. You have really good seats.”

            “Thanks!” Heather smiled at the guard then waited for her sister and her best friends.            

            Heather turned around and standing behind her was Amanda and Caitlin.

            “Oh hey!” she smiled, “I wasn’t expecting you guys to get here so quickly.”

            “It’s a Backstreet concert,” Caitlin started, “I could not be late for this.”

            Heather chuckled, “Well you have perfect timing and so does my sister.”

            Amanda and Caitlin turned around to see Stephanie walking up to them wearing her tour shirt from the Unbreakable concert.

            “I can’t believe you got tickets last minute,” Steph said as she hugged her sister.

            “Hey I know the DJ,” she laughed.

            “Will we be able to see him tonight?” Amanda asked.

            “He’ll be DJ-ing for the after party but Nick Carter will be DJ-ing too so when Rich isn’t behind the table he’s going to hang with us.”

            “I can’t stay for the after party,” Steph interjected, “I have work in the morning and I don’t want to stay up too late.”

            “That’s why I didn’t want to pick any of you up because I wasn’t sure how late you could all stay. I don’t have work tomorrow so I’m free to stay as late as I want to.”

            “Good thinking,” Steph nodded her head.

            “So where are our seats?” Caitlin asked.

            “They are in the VIP section,” Heather answered as she passed out the tickets which were surprisingly right next to each other. She breathed a little easier knowing she didn’t have to explain why the tickets were for two separate seatings.

            “And what line do we have to stand in?” Amanda asked looking at the never ending line that winded around the corner of the building. “Because if we have to go to the end of that line I’m going to kill you.”

              As Heather looked at the huge line the guard standing in front of the door waved for her to come near him.

            “Hold on one second,” she told her friends and sister.

            “You and your friends don’t have to wait in line. You two can come right in because you’re in the VIP,” the guard informed her.

            “There are four of us actually. I got two other tickets from DJ Lani.”

            “Are they also for the VIP section?”

            “Yes they are.”

            “Ok then,” the guard said kindly, “The four of you are welcome to come in and find your seats.”

            “Awesome! Let me go get them.” She jogged over to her sister, Amanda and Caitlin and led them to the door.

            “Damn!” Caitlin exclaimed looking at all the dirty looks they were getting from the other fans waiting in line, “It’s good to have connections!”

            The girls laughed as their hands were stamped as VIPs and an usher showed them the way to their seats.

            “These are fucking amazing seats!” Caitlin said as she sat down and waited for the rest of the Izod center to fill up and the show to start.

            Once again Backstreet put on an amazing show! During the show Nick kept looking at Heather and she felt her heart flutter every time he did.

            I can’t believe this is happening to me! She thought when Backstreet took their final bow and before Nick turned to go back stage, he blew her a kiss.

            After the Boys disappeared backstage Caitlin exclaimed, “Nick Carter totally blew a kiss to you, lucky bitch!”

            Heather, Amanda and Stephanie giggled.

            “First you get to spend the night with him at the first concert you go to and now he blows you a kiss on stage,” Steph commented. “I’m worried to know what’s going to happen tonight at the after party when I’m not there.”

            “You spent the night with him?” Amanda questioned almost speechless.

            “At the first after party I was his date for the evening because he gave me the rose during I’ll Never Break Your Heart that’s all. We didn’t actually spend the night together,” she lied.

            “But you wish you spent the night with him,” Caitlin joked.

PT2      The girls laughed then headed for the packed exit way.

            After saying good night to Steph, the other three went to their cars in order to head to the club where the after party was taking place.

            When they got there and waited in line Amanda asked the pivotal question, “So how did you get the tickets?”

            “I got two from DJ Lani who turned out to be Rich and the other two from Nick and they just happened to be right next to each other,” she said matter of fact-ly.

            Caitlin and Amanda blinked their eyes at her in shock until Caitlin said, “Who gave you the last two?”

            “Nick Carter,” Heather said in a half voice so the people around her couldn’t hear.

            “What!?” her friends said at the same time.

            “Keep your voices down,” Heather warned, “To make a long story short, Nick and I exchanged phone numbers after the first after party and went out on a few dates,” she said innocently not wanting to go into great detail with so many people around.

            “Did you stay the ni…” Caitlin started but Heather interrupted her:

            “Shut your mouth! No I did not,” she lied again, “And if anyone asks just say all the tickets came from Rich.”

            Once the girls got through the doors the party seemed to come alive. Nick was DJ-ing and when he saw Heather he smiled at her. She returned the gesture and felt her heart beat faster. Amanda and Caitlin went to go get drinks and when they were out of sight Heather watched Nick for a few seconds until a pair of strong arms wrapped around her waist and a sweet voice said in her ear, “Hey Bud!”     

            She turned around and replied, “Hello to you too baby!”

            She stole a kiss from him without anyone looking. Before Rich could say another word to her she said, “I need you to do me a really big favor.”

            “What is it baby?”

            “I want to keep our relationship a secret for as long as possible.”  

            “Why? Are you ashamed of our relationship or something?!” he started getting defensive.

            “No Rich it’s not that at all! It’s just that I want it to be our little secret and I don’t want to hear that we are taking it too fast. Then when we are both ready to tell people we are dating, we will.”

            “If that’s what makes you comfortable baby,” he pushed a strand of hair behind her ear. “I’m sorry I raised my voice.”

            “It’s ok honey. Just don’t tell anyone about us. Not even Amanda and Caitlin and especially not my sister.”

            “I won’t tell anyone and I haven’t told anyone.”

            “Thank you honey. Also do me a favor and save some dances for me and the other two.”

            “I promise I will sweetheart.”

             Just as they were about to kiss Caitlin and Amanda came back with the drinks.

            “Hey girls! Long time no see!” Rich greeted them.

            “I know stranger,” Caitlin said as she hugged him, “It’s good to see you’re back.”

            “It’s good to be back.”

            “How did you land this gig with Backstreet?” Amanda questioned after she hugged him.

            “It’s a long story and I’ll tell you some other time when we hang out because right now I have to go back to my job. I’ll be back during my second break to dance with you girls later though.”

            “Ok we’ll dance with you then,” Caitlin said warmly.

            The girls were having a ton of fun dancing and once their drinks were drained Caitlin and Amanda headed back to the bar for refills. Heather didn’t go with them because Nick had texted her to meet him in the club’s sitting room where no one else was.

            She found the sitting room and Nick waiting for her in one of the lounge chairs.

            “Hello beautiful,” Nick greeted her smoothly.

            “Hello handsome!” They embraced tightly then kissed deeply.

            “You don’t know how much I love that kiss baby,” Nick said smiling as he stared into her sparkling brown eyes.

            “I have a big favor to ask you,” Heather said a little wearily.

            “You’re every wish is my command.”

            “Before I ask the favor,” she remarked cautiously, “Did you tell anyone about our relationship?”

            “I didn’t want to jinx us so I didn’t tell a soul.”

            “Good. I want to keep our relationship a secret so continue to not tell anyone until we are both ready to let people know about us.”

            “I’ll do anything you want me to do baby.”

            “Thanks honey. Now I want you to dance with me right here.”

            “I’ve been waiting all night to hear you say that,” he smiled at her then grabbed her hand.

            They danced together to the slightly muffled music Rich was playing. It was still loud enough to hear but it wasn’t as loud as being in the main room of the club.

            They danced, grinned, stole kisses from each other, laughed and smiled out of pure joy. Heather loved every second of the privet dance session she was having with Nick. He surprised her by pulling her closer for a sexy, prolonged kiss.

            While they kissed Rich’s voice came on over the microphone, “I love how the party is pumped and crowded like this but it’s time for me to take a dance break with my best friends who showed up tonight. But I have good news. DJ Nicky C will continue to keep the party pumpin’! Have fun for the rest of the night party people! DJ Lani out!”

            “That’s my cue. I have to go baby,” Nick said with disappointment in his voice after pulling away from Heather’s lips.

            “Nick when you’re finished I want to bring you home with me tonight.”

            He smiled naughtily at her, “Ok honey. When and where do you want to meet me?”       

            “In this room when you get the chance to leave. I’ll make it look like I’m going to the bathroom and you text me when you are free to go and no one is around.”

            “Sounds like a plan honey,” he kissed her lips then headed off to go DJ.

            She waited a little while so no one would catch her. She walked past the bathroom on her way back to Amanda and Caitlin to cover up where she was.

            She walked casually up to the table where her friends were and found Rich sitting with them. She became nervous but remained calm when Caitlin asked, “Where did you run off to missy?”

            “My sister called to ask me a question, then Rose called to give me an update on the Puppies and then I had to use the bathroom and here I am now. Hey Rich.”

            “Hey Vi.”

            “Since when do you let him call you Vi?” Amanda questioned, “You always scream at me when I call you Vi or Violet.”

            “Rich is more special than you are,” Heather stuck her tongue out at Amanda.

            “Well ladies how about we dance?” Rich said looking around the table.

            “Oh yes let’s!” Caitlin said grabbing his hand and pulling him onto the dance floor. Amanda grabbed Heather’s and followed Caitlin. The four friends started to dance together but Heather felt a little weird about it.

            Caitlin and Rich were dancing pretty close together and Heather’s blood started to boil. Caitlin had told Heather once that she had a crush on Rich and wanted to date him but they never got the chance to and Rich never liked her in that way. Obviously the crush was still present because of how close she was dancing to Rich. Heather moved closer to him purposely in hopes her action would send a silent message for Caitlin to, “Back off!”

            Heather’s message was clear so Caitlin continued to dance but put distance between herself and Rich while he was oblivious to what was going on.

            About ten minutes later Caitlin got an emergency call from her mom and begged Amanda to leave right away since they had car pooled together. She and Amanda said quick good nights to Heather and Rich before running for the car.

            Once they were out of sight Rich grabbed Heather’s hips and pulled her closer.

            She smiled and started grinding with him to the music. She didn’t care if people were watching them or not and she knew Nick couldn’t see them because of the sea of people surrounding them.

            As the couple got lost in the music time flew by and before they knew it Nick said over the microphone, “I hate to say it but it’s time for the last song of the evening. I hope you all had fun tonight and please get home safely. I don’t know about you guys but I think the best way to end the night is with a slow song and here’s a new favorite of mine called Just A Kiss by Lady Antebellum.”

            “Do you know this one?” Rich asked as Heather placed her hands on his shoulder.

            “Yes I do actually.”

            “Mind singing it with me?”

            “Not at all,” Heather smiled then started to sing, “Lyin' here with you so close to me/It's hard to fight these feelings when it feels so hard to breathe/I'm caught up in this moment, caught up in your smile.”

            Then Rich took over, “I've never opened up to anyone/So hard to hold back when I'm holding you in my arms.”

            Together they sang, “We don't need to rush this, let's just take it slow/Just a kiss on your lips in the moonlight/Just a touch of the fire burning so bright/And I don't want to mess this thing up/No, I don't want to push too far/Just a shot in the dark that you just might/Be the one I've been waiting for my whole life/So baby, I'm alright with just a kiss goodnight.”

            Heather had a second chance to sing by herself, “I know that if we give this a little time/It'll only bring us closer to the love we wanna find/It's never felt so real, no, it's never felt so right.”

            They sang the rest of the song together and Heather couldn’t help but think of the lyrics and how true they were. She really did want to take things slow with Rich and she didn’t want to spoil a single moment of what they were starting.

            When the song ended Rich asked, “Can we spend the night together?”

            She looked into his blue eyes that were a little darker in the club’s lighting and immediately knew he had more on his mind than simply hanging out. “Rich I thought we were going to take things slow? I mean I would love to but let’s give ourselves more time like the song just said. I don’t want to spoil a second of what we are starting together.”

            “Alright baby. And it’s going to sound corny but I am perfectly fine with just a kiss good night. As long as you are happy and comfortable.”

            “I love you Rich.”

            “I love you too Violet.”

            They shared one sweet kiss good night before heading their separate ways.

            Heather casually collected her purse from the table then Rich watched as she headed for the bathroom.

            Once the door swung closed behind her she freshened up on her makeup then texted Nick.

            It took him a few minutes to reply but once he did Heather headed for their meeting room.

            “You ready to go honey?” she asked once she saw Nick.

            “Ready isn’t the word baby.”

            She grabbed his hand and they practically ran out to Heather’s car.

            Little did they know, Rich spied on them until they vanished into the parking lot and his heart strings started breaking one by one with every hurried step Heather took.