- Text Size +

Chapter 22

            It didn’t take Heather and Nick long to get back to her house because there was no traffic on the road what so ever.

            Once Heather turned her car off Nick opened the door for her and took her hand as she got out of the driver’s seat. They practically ran hand in hand into the house.

            They were greeted by the Puppies and once again Shep almost attacked Nick.

            “Shep knock it off!” Heather reprimanded. Shep stopped growling and laid down on his bed in the living room. “I’m sorry about that Nick.”

            “It’s ok.”

            “How about we go upstairs and get comfortable?” she smiled naughtily as she wrapped her arms around Nick’s neck and pressed her body against his.

            “I need to ask you something first.”

            She was surprised by the tone of his voice. She hinted anger and jealousy in it and he had never talked to her in that way before.

            “Ask away,” she answered a little nervous about what he had to say next.

            He sighed then said, “I saw you and Rich dancing together at the club. You two were getting pretty close. Do you have feelings for him?”

            Heather’s heart went into panic mode but her voice stayed calm as she replied, “I don’t have feelings for him.”

            “If you don’t have feelings for him then why were you grinning with him and why did you kiss him before you left to meet me?” his voice was sounding defensive. She realized it was the same tone of voice Rich used when he too got defensive.

            “It was just a dance shared between friends and a one second kiss good night. I didn’t even know we were dancing that close and it’s not like we were making out.”

            “Heather I don’t care if that kiss only lasted a second! I don’t care if it lasted for half a second! You still kissed another man!” He pushed her away and she stared wild eyed at him as he turned his back to her.

            “Nick you’re sounding ridiculous! There is nothing going on between Rich and I! Nothing! It’s you that I want Nick! You! So stop thinking I’m cheating on you because I’m not! You’re my one and only baby!” She was hoping her words sounded convincing. She walked up to him and placed her hand on his shoulder cautiously. “I’m sorry if it looked like I was cheating on you but I wasn’t. Please believe and forgive me.”

            He looked over his shoulder at her and saw the painful and apologetic look in her dark brown eyes.

            “I’m sorry,” he said with a lowered voice. “As you can see I get very jealous. But would it help to know that I only get that way when I really, really like someone?”

            She let out one relieved chuckle and shook her head, “It’s a good thing you’re cute Nick.”

            “So does that mean you forgive me?” When he looked into her eyes she could see he was really sorry.

            “Of course I forgive you. Do you forgive me?”

            “I’d be stupid not to.”

            She grinned at him and he grabbed her into a tight embrace.              

            She breathed in his cologne and smiled when Nick’s voice said sweetly, “Heather.”

            “Yes baby?”

            He placed his hands on her face and made her look him in the eye, “I love you and I want you to know that. And I’m not just saying it because we’ve slept together. You’re beautiful. Physically and personally. You’re the greatest woman I’ve ever known. And I really want you to know how much I love you and that my love is real. And I’ll do anything to show my love for you.”

            The corners of her lips raised slowly into a sexy smile, “Well then, show me how much you love me.”

            He returned the sexy smile, “How about you show me upstairs and I’ll prove my love for you up there.”

            She grabbed his hand and excitedly showed him the way to her bedroom.

            They both panted heavily after they made love. Heather tried to catch her breath as Nick lay down beside her.

            “Nick,” she breathed out, “that was amazing!”

            He smiled concededly, “I had a feeling you were going to say that. But seriously you were awesome too.”

            He wrapped his arms around her ribs and pressed her naked body against his.

            She smiled as she felt his heart beat, “I love feeling your heart beat baby.”

            “It’s beating for you sweetheart.”

            She kissed his lips not knowing how to respond.

            “Heather, I want you to be with me everywhere I go. Come on tour with me. You can see the world and you’ll be by my side every step of the way.”

            “Nick I would love to go with you but I can’t.”

            “Why not?”

            “I have two jobs, three dogs to take care of, and I can’t leave my friends and family.”

            “You wouldn’t have to worry about your jobs. I could support you fully honey.”

            “I will not mooch off of you. I’m independent Nick and I love my jobs. I have amazing students at the high school and I love helping animals at the shelter.”

            “We can take your dogs with us. They can be our mascots.”

            “I don’t think Shep would make a good mascot. Especially since he doesn’t like you for some reason. Besides they would have to go through quarantine where ever we go.”

            “I can always fly your friends and family out to visit us.”

            “Nick I’m not going on tour with you.”

            “We only have a few more cities to go to.”

            “Nick please drop the subject it’s only going to upset me.”

            “I’m sorry baby.”

            “It’s ok Nick. Let’s just fall asleep in each other’s arms. I don’t know about you but I’m pretty tired.”

            “As long as I get to hold you close it sounds good to me.”

            “I love you Nick.”

            “I love you too Heather.”

            This has to be a dream! She thought to herself as she started to drift asleep. Then she felt Nick’s lips softly touch her forehead and his arms slightly tighten their grip around her. Maybe it’s not a dream after all!  

            The next morning Heather woke up in Nick’s arms.

            “It wasn’t a dream!” she whispered excitedly then planted an excited kiss on Nick’s lips.

            He woke up with a smile on his face, “Good morning to you too.”

            “You can go back to sleep if you want. I was just excited,” Heather grinned cutely at him.

            He chuckled, “I don’t think I can go back to sleep. Not after that kiss. Besides I like looking at you more than the insides of my eye lids.”

            “You sweet talker,” she joked.

            “It’s the truth,” Nick’s crystal blue eyes looked lovingly at her. “You are gorgeous.”

            “And you’re not bad looking yourself hottie,” she stuck her tongue out at him.

            “You better put that tongue away unless you’re going to put it in my mouth,” he said naughtily at her.

            She giggled playfully then leaned closer to him. Her fingers tangled in his hair as they French kissed. He pushed her chest closer to his with the arm he had around her shoulders. She felt her heart flutter as the kiss continued.

            When Nick slowly pulled his lips away from Heather’s her eyes were still closed and she remained frozen for a moment until he chuckled.

            She blinked her eyes open and blushed.

            “What are you blushing for?” he asked with a smile on his face.

            “I was frozen in my kiss face. It probably wasn’t the most pretty looking face in the world.”

            “Heather, don’t say that. You are always beautiful to me.”

            She grinned widely, “Have I mentioned that I love when you sweet talk me?”

            “It’s the truth baby.”

            They kissed again but only this time it was more innocent then intimate.

            “Are you hungry Nick?”

            “In fact I am. What’s for breakfast?”

            “Whatever you want but my specialty is French toast.”

            “That sounds good.”

            “And I have a lot of fruit that needs to be eaten.”

            “That sounds even better. I’m sort of a health freak that loves fruit.”

            “I love fruit too.”

            She got out of bed and threw on her lounge clothes and headed down stairs. Nick pulled on his clothes and followed her.

            Heather cooked the French toast while Nick washed and cut the fruit. When breakfast was ready they sat down in the living room.

            “The French toast was delicious honey,” Nick said as he threw his paper plate in the garbage, “And I hate to eat and run but I have to hit the studio today to work on some solo stuff.”

            “I didn’t know you were coming out with another solo album!”

            “Yeah I’ve been working on it.”

            “That’s exciting! I loved Now or Never. I can’t wait for the new one.”

            “Me either. I’m excited about it too. I gotta go baby. I love you and I’ll call you when I can.”

            “Ok Nick. I love you too.” They kissed before Nick left.

            Heather sat down to make up some lesson plans after taking a shower and just as she was about to finish Rich called her.

            “Hey honey!” she answered.

            “Hey,” he replied kind of listlessly.

            “What’s wrong? You don’t sound so happy to be calling me.”

            “I need to talk to you. Are you free today?”

            “Yeah. I just have to make up some lesson plans but I’m almost finished with them.”

            “Alright I’ll be over in half an hour.”

            “Ok honey. I’ll see you then.”

            “Later,” was his last word before hanging up.

            “That was weird,” she said aloud to herself. “We’ve never had a conversation like that before.”

            Half an hour passed and Heather heard the doorbell ring. Shep was the first to get to the door as usual and Lacey and Hunter followed. Heather pushed them away with her leg when she opened the door.

            “Hey Rich!” she hugged him but he didn’t hug her back.

            “Hi,” he replied without emotion.

            “Rich what’s the matter? You can show a little bit of emotion can’t you?”

            “Heather we just really need to talk.”

            “Alright then come on in.”

            He followed her into the living room and took a seat next to her on the couch.

            “So what do you need to talk about?” she asked looking at him. He hung his head toward the floor.

            He didn’t look back at her when he asked, “Do you really love me?”

            “Of course I do! Why would you even ask that?”

            “I saw you leave with Nick last night,” he looked up at her and didn’t say another word as her eyes went wide.

            “Rich I can explain,” she tried to cover but he stopped her:

            “Don’t even bother!” he exploded, “I know what I saw Heather! You grabbed his hand and ran out of the club giggling and smiling all the way back to your car! You didn’t even know that I watched every step you took and it broke my heart piece by piece! And I know, I just know you slept with him last night! How could you do this to me Heather?! I finally let you know that I love you and you fucking stab me in the back!”

            “Rich,” Heather breathed out but he continued to scream.

            “He’s only using you Heather! Did you know that?! All the shit he’s saying about him being in love with you is just so he can get in your pants!”

            “How did you know he told me he loves me?”

            “I know because he’s done the same thing with five other girls on this tour! He told all of them it was love at first sight and he got in bed with them all a few times and once it was time to move onto the next city he said it would never work even though he promised them he would show them the world and begged them to go on tour with him! He’s a player Heather and he’s only going to break your heart! I thought you loved me.” By this point she could see tears starting to swell in his eyes.

            “I do love you Rich!” she screamed back. She didn’t know what else to say and she didn’t mean to but stammered, “B…but…”

            “But you’re also in love with Nick too aren’t you? You believe his lies don’t you?!” Rich was getting angrier as tears continued to sting his eyes.

            “No… Rich,” Heather reached out for him but he jumped off the couch and got in her face:

            “Who do you love Heather? Who do you really love?”

            She didn’t say a word. Tears started to swell in her eyes.

            “Answer me Heather!” he demanded. “Who do you love?!”

            “I love you both,” she whimpered.

            “No! You need to tell me right now which one you want more! The one whose only going to dump you on the street once he goes onto the next show or the one who has loved you since freshman year of high school?! You have always been the only one I’ve ever wanted Violet. Don’t you understand that? He’s only saying he loves you for the sex. He can’t love you like I do and he’ll never love you like I do! The only reason why I’m still alive is because of you! My heart is beating for you and only you! So tell me right now, who do you love more?”

            She slowly rose to her feet as tears started to run down both of their faces. She delicately placed a hand on the side of Rich’s face and sobbed, “I don’t know which one I love more. I can’t choose between the two of you.”

            “Bullshit!” He couldn’t control his strength as he pushed her back onto the couch, “It’s clear to me that you’ve chosen Nick over me because I witnessed it last night when you ran away with him. So don’t even bother saying anything to me.”

            He walked toward the front door while forcefully wiping tears from his cheeks. She got up and ran after him.

            “Rich!” she cried out and placed her hand on his shoulder, “Don’t go! I can explain everything!”

            He turned around in a flash and tightly grabbed her wrist. He stared into her eyes as he held her wrist. She stood there frozen not knowing what he was going to do next.

            “Thanks for breaking my heart Violet,” he let go of her wrist then walked out the door without another word.

            He slammed the door shut and Heather fell to her knees crying. She listened to the sound of Rich’s car driving away. Lacey walked over to Heather and sat in front of her. She knew her owner was upset and she let Heather cry into her fur.

            “I really fucked this up Lacey,” Heather cried. “And I don’t know if I can fix it or not.”