- Text Size +

Chapter 6

            Heather predicted correctly about what was going to happen at Six Flags. You see, Heather is not a rollercoaster person. She’d rather keep her feet on the ground. But as always Jess and Kelshie pulled her onto any ride they could. There were a few that weren’t that high and didn’t go too fast but others made Heather shake afterward. Melina wasn’t bothered by any of the rides. She seemed fearless which Heather envied a little bit. They spent most of the day at the amusement park and rode most of the rides. They even saw a few shows then hit the road for home.

            By the time they got back the sun had set and everyone was too tired to walk the board walk. But they went to the beach again the next day and at night they walked the board walk. It was there last day down the shore and all four girls enjoyed going on some of the rides and playing a lot of games and feasting on the famous board walk food.

            Before they knew it the girls were packing their cars and heading up North to Heather’s house.

            “Since we’re taking two cars,” Heather said, “Who is driving with whom?”

            “I’ll go with Kelshie,” Jess said. “But I’m taking Hunter with me.”

            “Ok you can steal my dog,” Heather joked, “But just for the car ride.”

            “I’ll keep you company sis,” Melina commented.

            “Why thank you,” Heather smiled. “My car is all packed except for Melina’s and my dress. Do you have room in your car Kelshie?”

            “Yup. I have plenty of room in the trunk.”

            “Good. I don’t want the Puppies laying on them and wrinkling them.”

            The girls and dogs jumped into the car.

            Once Heather and her blood sister got tired of listening to the radio Melina popped in the Unbreakable CD. They started singing along then Melina started laughing.

            “What’s so funny?”

            Melina chuckled, “We’re singing in individual parts.”

            Heather started laughing, “I didn’t realize that. We’ve been singing like that for a while now. I guess it’s becoming a habit!”

            They continued to sing until they pulled into the drive way.

            “Whose car is that?” Melina questioned.

            “Oh it’s my sister Stephanie’s,” Heather replied when she saw the black crossfire. “She was house sitting for me.”

            Kelshie and Jess pulled up next to Heather and jumped out of the car.

            “I am so happy to get out of the car!” Jess said. She was caring Hunter who looked sleepy. She handed her back to Heather and said, “Hunter fell asleep on my lap. I’m all numb from her sleeping on me. She’s heavy.”

            Heather chuckled as she put Hunter on the ground and the beagle ran for the front door, “At least it wasn’t Lacey or Shep. They’re even heavier.”

            “Were you and Melina singing along with Backstreet on your way up here?” Kelshie asked.

            “Of course we were,” Heather replied.

            “Did you guys only sing the parts you were assigned?”

            Heather chuckled, “Yeah!”

            “See Jess,” Kelshie lightly slapped her on the arm, “We’re not the only ones who did that!”

            Heather helped her friends get some stuff out of the cars then showed them into the front door.

            “Steph I’m home!” she called out once she stepped into the front hall.

            “Welcome home sis!” Heather’s older sister hugged her then hugged Kelshie and Jess. “Hey girls! How are yas?”

            “We’re good,” Jess and Kelshie said at the same time.        

            “Good to hear. And you must be my little sister’s German blood sister!” Stephanie turned to Melina. “I’m very glad to meet you. I’m Stephanie. Welcome to America!”

            “Thank you Stephanie. I have heard a lot about you.”

            “All the good things I hope,” Stephanie joked. “And please call me Steph, everyone else does.”

            Stephanie helped the girls unload the cars and made them dinner.

            “You didn’t have to make dinner for us,” Heather said as she helped set the table.

            “Eh it’s no problem. I knew you would be tired from driving. And you know how much I love to cook.”

            “That’s true. Oh I have a job for you.”

            “What’s that?”

            “The girls and I are in this contest…”

            “What kind of contest?” Stephanie interrupted.

            “It’s a Karaoke contest.”

            “When and where and what’s my job?”

            “It’s going to take place during the party BSB is holding after the concert.”          

            “Nice! What song are you singing?”

            “Unmistakable. I was wondering if you would give us some advice and help us with a few dance moves.”

            “I would love to help!”

            “I knew I went to the right person!”

            “Why don’t you guys show me what you got after dinner and then I’ll start thinking of ways I can help you.”

            “Sounds good to me.”  

            After dinner the girls showed off what they had so far for Unmistakable and as the song ended Stephanie smiled widely.

            “You guys sound amazing!”

            “Thanks!” they all replied.

            “And I have an idea for your performance.”

            Heather clapped her hands together excitedly, “I knew you would!”

            Stephanie grabbed a note pad and pencil then jotted down her ideas.

            About ten minutes later Stephanie showed the girls the routine she just created and they welcomed all of her ideas. She set to work teaching the girls and time flew by quickly. Before they all knew it two hours had past and most of the steps were learned. All they had to do was practice some more and get the timing down. So far Unmistakable was coming along nicely and the girls were getting excited.

            The next day Heather got a call from her friend Rose.

            “Would you be interested in going bowling with the usual group?”

            Heather answered, “I’ll have to ask my guests.”

            “Guests?”  Rose questioned.

            “I have my Backstreet Buds staying over for the week, remember?”

            “Oh yeah that’s right! Well they are welcome too! I haven’t seen Jess and the other part of Heather Squared in a long time. All of the usual group hasn’t seen them in a long time. We would love to see them and meet your friend from Germany,” Rose replied.

            “Ok hold one second. I’ll ask them now,” Heather walked into the living room and asked her Backstreet Buds, “Do you want to go bowling tomorrow?”

            “That sounds like fun!” Melina exclaimed.

            “Rose and the rest of the usuals are going. Do you two want to see them?” Heather asked Jess and Kelshie.

            “I miss the usual group!” Jess exclaimed.

            “Let’s go!” Kelshie replied.

            “Alright then,” Heather smiled then talked into the phone, “Rose you can count the four of us in.”

            “Great!” Rose exclaimed. “I’ll see you tomorrow at 4 then!”

            “See ya then Rosie.”

            The next day Melina was introduced to the “usual group” of Heather’s friends. There were a total of 16 in the original “usual group” and because of jobs, schooling, and other reasons the group lost six members. The reaming ten did their best to get together once in a while. They were the best of friends in high school and they stayed close even though they went their separate ways after graduation. Heather was glad this group of friends stayed as close as they did. As for the six members that drifted from the group there was one that Heather thought they would never lose and that devastated her.       

            After bowling for a few hours the group chose a place to go for dinner and made plans to spend the next day together. That next morning they watched a movie together then decided to play lazer tag.

            “So how many teams are we going to have?” Heather’s friend John asked.

            “There are 14 of us,” Rose said, “We can split into two teams of 7.”

            “That sounds good to me,” John replied. “Who wants to be team captains?”

            “How about we just play boys against girls because we’re split down the middle?” Rose suggested.

            John nodded, “It’s a plan. I call green lazers.”

            “That means we get purple!” Heather exclaimed.

            “Yay!” Jess laughed.

            Once the teams’ home bases were established and everyone was handed their censor vests and lazer guns the lights turned off and all the obstacles, vests, and guns glowed in neon colors. The game was intense! People were diving for cover and running in all different directions. Some hid behind obstacles and ambushed the opposite team.

            “This feels like we’re back in high school!” Heather said to Jess, Rose, and Melina who were hiding behind a wall close to the boys’ home base. They were waiting on the right moment to ambush the guard protecting the boys’ target. Once either the boys or girls target was hit the game ended.  

            “I think we’re crazier than we were in high school!” Rose joked.

            “Look at Kelshie!” Jess pointed out.

            Kelshie was running for cover as John and another guy on his team, Tim, were chasing after her. They were aiming for her but she ducked behind a wall just in time. The two boys looked at each other and laughed.

              Tim called out, “You gotta come out sooner or later Kelshie.”

            He didn’t know that Kelshie had crawled closer to the target and they also didn’t know that the other girls were close to the target either.

            Rose motioned for Kelshie to crawl over to the rest of them then she whispered, “On the count of three Kelshie you aim for Tim, Hermie you aim for John. Jess you take out the guard and me and Melina will try to hit the target.”

            The girls waited for Rose’s count and once she said three they executed the plan. Once the target was hit the lights slowly came back on and the game ended.

            All 14 friends made their way back to the check in counter and Tim said to Jess, Melina, Kelshie, Rose and Hermie, “I give you girls credit for that. That was a great ambush.”

            “Yeah,” John agreed, “I never expected that. You have perfect timing.”

            “Thanks John,” Rose replied.

            “That was a lot of fun!” Heather smiled. “We’ll have to do that more often.”

            “There is always next year Hermie,” her other friend Amber said.

            “Or sometime sooner than that,” Rose chipped in after seeing the dropped look on Heather’s face.

            “Sorry Heather,” Amber winced, “You know I’m still kind of awkward about this thing and I’m sorry about that I really am.”

            “It’s ok Amber. I’m still iffy about it too,” Heather said.

            The group said bye to each other one by one as they got into their cars and started toward their homes.

            Rose was the last to say “see ya later” to Heather before she got into her car.

            She hugged her best friend and said, “I had a lot of fun today Heather! Just try to focus on the good part of today more than the depressing part. And if you need or want to talk call me.”

            “Thanks Rose. I’ll try my best to stay happy even though it’ll be hard.”

            “I know it’s hard but I’m here for ya.”

            “I know you are Rose. I’ll see you later at work.”

            “See ya later.”

            Before Heather climbed into the driver’s seat Melina asked, “What was Rose talking about?”

            Jess and Kelshie looked at each other before Kelshie answered, “I’m not sure if we should tell you or not.”

            Jess nodded her head, “It’s a long story and it might be better if Hermie told you herself.”