- Text Size +

Chapter 7

            Just as Heather sat down in the driver’s seat her cell phone rang.

            “Hey Steph, what’s up?”

            “I was just wondering if you need me to stay over tonight or not.”

            “I don’t think I need you to stay but you can stay for dinner and help with Unmistakable.”

            “Ok then I’ll be over in an hour.”

            “I’ll have dinner ready when you get there. We’re leaving lazer tag now.”

            “Alright Heather take your time. I have keys so I can get in.”

            It only took ten minutes for the girls to get home and just as Heather put dinner on the table Stephanie stepped through the front door.

            “Perfect timing,” Heather smiled at her sister.

            “It smells good in here!”

            “Thanks. Take a seat and dig in.”

            The girls told Stephanie all about lazer tag as they ate then they helped clear and clean the table.

            “Is everyone up to practicing Unmistakable?” Stephanie asked.

            The girls nodded their heads and Stephanie got the music ready. Once the girls set themselves up in their correct places the music started.

            Stephanie didn’t say a word as the girls performed the song and routine once without stopping. She noticed a few things that needed to be fixed here and there but overall she was impressed by them.

            “So,” Kelshie said after the song, “What do ya think?”

            Stephanie smiled widely, “You sound amazing! All four of ya!”

            “Thanks,” the Backstreet Buds said in unison.

            “You have a few mistakes but they are so tiny we can fix them right now.”

            They worked out what they needed to fix and decided on playing the song at least two more times to let everything set in.

            Heather could feel her eyes swelling with tears as she listened to the song. She just couldn’t push him from her mind no matter how hard she tried. When she opened her mouth to sing the first chorus her emotions took control and she couldn’t sing.

            She dropped the empty stick of deodorant she used as a fake microphone and whimpered, “I’m sorry guys…I… I need a break for a minute. You can keep practicing though.”

            She tried to hold back her tears as she ran up the stairs. She hated crying around people, even her own friends and family. She felt weak and unattractive when she cried and she absolutely hated feeling that way.

            Kelshie stopped the music and Melina started to follow her crying friend but Stephanie stopped her.

            “Don’t follow her. She needs some alone time. It’s a very emotional day for her.”

            Melina looked concernedly up the stairs, “Why? What’s wrong?”

            Stephanie turned to Kelshie and Jess, “Maybe you two could explain it.”

            She slowly and quietly made her way up the stairs to check on her distraught sister.

            Jess took a picture off the wall and handed it to Melina. She looked down and saw Heather and a good looking young man with brown hair and soft blue eyes standing with their arms resting on each other’s shoulder.

            “Who is that with Heather and when was this taken?” Melina asked.

            Kelshie replied, “That was high school graduation.”

            “And that is Rich,” Jess added, “He was Heather’s other best friend next to Kelshie and me.”

            “They did just about everything together,” Kelshie said, “They knew each other since before they could walk and talk.”

            Jess sighed, “It surprised everyone in our grade that they never dated. But I have a feeling that if he was still around today they would most likely be engaged if not married already.”

            Melina looked hesitant before she asked, “What happened to him?”

            Kelshie dug her hands into her pockets as she usually did when she talked about a troubling subject, “After graduation he started dating this girl his bad news step sister hung out with. His girlfriend got him addicted to all sorts of drugs and alcohol. He went downhill fast.”

            Jess took over, “He and Heather lost contact because of that fact and because the dirty little bitch he was with had complete control over him. She made him stop talking to all of his old friends and some of his own family. Heather was really hurt by that.”

            “But exactly 6 years ago,” Kelshie’s voice became somber and quiet as she continued, “Heather got this letter and she has been heartbroken ever since.”

            Melina questioned, “Do you know what the letter said?”

            Jess answered, “The only one who knows is Heather and she won’t talk about it.”

            Meanwhile Stephanie waited outside of Heather’s door listening to her sister’s sniffling. She wasn’t exactly crying but Stephanie knew she was very upset.

            The older sister pressed her ear to the door and heard the bed springs creak and the sliding door leading to Heather’s rooftop terrace open. Stephanie cracked open the door just enough to see Heather silhouetted by the moonlight. She was writing in something Stephanie assumed was her diary named Violet.

            She was correct because Heather started speaking out loud as she wrote,

            “Dear Violet,

            Today is the 6th anniversary of the most horrible day in the Rich saga. And I know I say this every year but I remember it like it was yesterday. But the only thing that’s changed is my mind set. I think I’m ready to talk about it this year and not just writing my feelings down in a purple diary but actually talking to either my sister or my best friends. I might even show them the letter and my drawing. It’s just still so hard to even think about! Right now I’m sitting on my roof as I do a lot just thinking. The moon is full tonight. It’s pretty and very bright.” She paused as she looked up from her diary and stared at the moon. “I hope you can hear me Rich. I miss you and I know you’re somewhere out there, somewhere far away. I want you back. I just want you back. I also want you to know that I talk to the moon in hopes you’re on the other side talking to me too. I remember the moon story you told me when Grandpa died and I hope it works. Maybe I’m crazy but sometimes I can sense that you’re listening… or someone’s listening. Who knows? I do know that I miss you way more than you’ll ever know.” She lowered her head and sighed, “I know you’re standing there Steph.”

            “Do you wanna talk?”

            “Come on out here.”

            “So why are you quoting Bruno Mars?” she asked as she sat next to her sister.

            Heather looked confused then figured out what her sister meant, “Oh yeah his song Talking To The Moon… Remember that Rich was part Native American?”

            “Yes I do.”

            “He told me a legend of why wolves and coyotes howl at the moon. The legend says that souls of both people and animals travel to the moon when their bodies die and that the wolves and coyotes howl to their ancestors each night to remember them.”

            “So you think Rich is on the moon?”

            Heather looked back up at the white, glowing moon then answered, “No. He can’t be dead. He’s out there breathing somewhere I can feel it. I just have to find him.”

            Stephanie asked cautiously, “Can I see the letter?”

            Heather handed her an old, folded piece of paper. She carefully unfolded it and read aloud,

            “Dear Heather,

            I’m sorry we lost contact for how many ever years it’s been. I didn’t want to talk to you or see you for a reason. After graduation I started dating Harlow, Harper’s best friend. I know what you’re thinking, “Why her?!” I thought she changed, I thought Harper changed. But I was wrong. They changed me. They made me break the promise you and I made. They got me addicted to drugs and alcohol. I have changed drastically Heather. I don’t recognize myself anymore and I doubt you would either if we ever met again or even ran into each other on the street. I wrote to you to tell you that I don’t want you at my funeral. I want you to remember me as I was, as we once were before I broke the promise. I’m not the good ole Rich anymore Heather. Something in me has died and I won’t be surprised if my body follows soon. So I repeat my old friend, I don’t want you at my funeral because you won’t know it’s me. Please remember the old Rich, your best friend. Also, please remember that I love you and I’m keeping you in my heart. My final request is that you keep me in yours.

            The late friend you used to know

            Rich”

            Stephanie looked astonished at her sister who was wiping a single tear from her cheek.

            “Oh sis, I’m so sorry!” Stephanie engulfed Heather in her arms. “I know how close you guys were and how strong that promise was.”

            “He’s not dead though,” Heather replied strongly.  

            “What do you mean?”

            “I don’t think he’s dead. It’s just a piece of him that’s dead. I know Rich. He would never take his own life. His friggin’ step sister Harper is a liar and I knew something wasn’t right when she had no idea where he was buried. She’s evil and she’s just playing a sick joke.”

            “But for six years?”

            “I can’t explain it. She’s always hated me and Rich and the only way to deal with her is to just leave her alone and not show her any emotion and she leaves.”

            “So you’re sure he’s not dead?”

            “I had this dream a few nights after Harper gave me the letter,” Heather started then paused for a second, “I was walking on this crowded street and as I was walking I was singing I Still to myself. Everything seemed to be moving so quickly and I was the only one moving at a regular pace. All of a sudden I look at this guy leaning against a lamp post and I stop in my tracks. It was Rich, living and breathing. He walked over to me and flicked his finger on my shoulder like he used to and called me by the nickname that only he called me by. He said I was right. Then I woke up. It felt too real to be a dream Steph.”

            “I know you and dreams sis. If you had a dream that he’s still alive I’ll believe it. You have predicted the future with your dreams before.”

            “I even drew a picture of my dream.” Heather unfolded another piece of paper and handed it to her sister.

            Stephanie looked at the picture closely and nodded her head, “Yup that’s Rich alright. He looks older and more muscular though.”

            “That’s what he looked like in my dream.”

            “So if you believe that he’s still alive why are still so upset?”

            “Because he broke our promise,” she replied in a near whisper as she could feel more tears welling in her eyes, “He’s obviously letting Harper and Harlow control his life. He changed!” By now she broke down again. “We promised each other we would never change! We promised we would never get into drugs and alcohol and more important we promised we would remain best friends but he’s not here! I feel like he doesn’t trust me anymore! Steph, I lost my best friend!”

            Stephanie brought her sister into her arms and let the tears wet her shoulder.

            Heather sobbed, “Unmistakable reminds me of him and my dream that’s why I had to get out of that room. I wish I could find him, just like he found me then I will never him let go.”

            “I know you won’t,” Stephanie soothed. “How about we go back down stairs when you’re ready and practice the steps without the music? Then afterward we could listen to All Of Your Life? I know that will cheer you up.”

            Heather giggled as she dried her eyes, “Sounds good.”

            Stephanie helped her up then they walked back down stairs.

            “You ok Hermie?” Kelshie asked.

            “Yup. I just need a little pick me up,” she went over to the stereo and turned on All of Your Life (You Need Love).

            The song automatically made Heather smile and start to dance. Her sister and Backstreet Buds joined her and they all sang along.

            “I knew that song would cheer you up,” Stephanie grinned.

            “Good call Steph. Let’s practice some more and call it quits for the night.”

            The Backstreet Buds set themselves up for Unmistakable and Stephanie started coaching them. First they practiced without the music and once they got all the steps down without any mistakes they ran through it again with the music.

            “I have to say you girls are putting more emotion into your voices now which is very good,” Stephanie complemented. “That emotion will sell the song for you if nothing else will.”

            Heather took a sip of water then replied, “Thanks sis. We’ll have someone record the performance for you.”

            “Please do. Do you want me to stay tonight Heather?”

            “No I’m good. And before you ask yes I’m sure.”     

            “Ok I’m going home then. If I don’t see you guys before the concert have fun and good luck with Unmistakable. Remember to sell the song with emotion.”

            Heather hugged her sister, “We will Steph. Good night.”

            “Night. I love you Heath.”

            “I love you too.”

            Once Stephanie closed the front door behind her Jess called out like she was a young child, “Hey Hermie…”

            “Yes Jess,” Heather replied mimicking her.

            “Can we have a Backstreet recording marathon tonight? It will cheer you up even more.”

            “You don’t have to twist my arm Jess. Backstreet marathon it is! I need to get my mind off of Rich and Nick Carter is just the man to do it.”

            The girls followed Heather up to her room where they spent most of the night watching all of Backstreet’s TV performances that she recorded and her collection of Backstreet videos and DVDs. Heather’s mind was partially taken off of Rich but she always thought about him.