- Text Size +

I am so fucking stupid AJ thought to himself. That was one of the dumbest things he’d ever done. He really did love Kat and he had wanted to tell her for a while. This wasn’t exactly the way he had planned on doing it though.

 AJ went down the hall to the bathroom and knocked on the door.

“Kat? Can I come in?”

 “Um, I’ll be out in two minutes k.”

AJ thumped his head against the door. “Ok, I’ll be outside on the deck.”

 “K.”

 She waited a few minutes until she was sure AJ had left and poked her head out the door.  He wasn’t in the hallway so she crept down to the kitchen and she saw him on the back deck smoking a cigarette. She bolted up the stairs to the guest room and dug out her cell.

 Brenda answered on the second ring.

 “You have to help me!” Kat squeaked out.

 “Are you ok?” Brenda asked.

 “No, he said he loved me.” Kat whispered.

 “Who said he loved you?”

 Kat smacked herself in the forehead. “Brad Pitt! Who do you think said he loved me?”

 “AJ said he loved you?”

 “That’s what I just said!”

 “Tell me exactly what happened.”

 Kat explained the situation to Brenda, pausing a few times when Brenda let loose some colorful adjectives for Michelle. She finally got to the part about him saying he loved her and it came tumbling out.

 “Slow down. Did he say he loves you or he’s in love with you?”

 Kat thought for a minute. “He only said he loves me.”

 Brenda started to laugh.

 “What’s so funny? I don’t know what to do. What do I say?”

 “Seriously Kat? I tell you I love you too. Do you get all freaked out when I say it?”

 “No! But you’re not a guy and definitely not a guy I have feelings for.”

 Brenda sighed. “Be careful Kat. You’re talking about your feelings for him but all he said was that he loves you. He probably meant it as a friend. You helped him through a tough time and you didn’t cut out.”

 “Why would I?” Kat asked.

 “You wouldn’t and that’s what makes you a great friend.  That’s also why I’m telling you, as a friend, that it was probably just a term of endearment. I don’t think he was professing his love for you. At least I’m hoping he wasn’t, considering that was a pretty shitty way of doing it!”

 Kat smiled. “Thanks Brenda. You always know what to say.” She wandered over to the window and saw AJ get up and head back into the house.

 “Shit! He’s coming back in. Gotta go. Love you!”

 Kat clicked the phone shut before Brenda got to say goodbye. Brenda laughed but she was concerned about the advice she had given her. Maybe AJ meant more than she thought he did.