- Text Size +

The weekend flew by and before they knew it, AJ had to leave and Kat had to go back to work. It was even tougher to say goodbye this time but Kat knew that she would be flying out at Thanksgiving to spend the holiday with AJ and the rest of the guys.

 Kat started counting down the days once October came. She talked to AJ every day but work was getting difficult and no one was thrilled that she would be leaving in the middle of the year. The students were tough and she was trying to work an after school program so that she could save up enough money to help pay for the move. She didn’t like relying on AJ to take care of everything.

 A few days before Halloween, Kat got sick. She was overstressed and tired from everything going on and she had let herself get run down. She didn’t tell AJ about it because she didn’t want him to worry. Instead, she spent the next couple of days curled into a ball in bed trying to feel better. Brenda came over on Friday night after work and tried to cheer Kat up a little. Even though she hated horror movies, she agreed to watch one with Kat since it was Halloween.

“Try to pick one that has the least amount of blood and body part loss.” Brenda said flopping down on the couch with a bowl of popcorn.

 “That pretty much excludes any one that I wanna see.” Kat rolled her eyes and picked up one that wasn’t too bloody. She popped it into the DVD player and plunked herself down on the couch next to Brenda.

 “Here this one’s for you.” Brenda handed her a small bowl of popcorn.

 Kat stared at her.

 “What? I love you chica but I am NOT sharing your germs. You get your own bowl.”

 Kat just shook her head and hit play on the remote.  They were about an hour into the movie when the slasher had found the lost girl and he was getting ready to ring the bell to get her to open the door. As he reached out to press the button, Kat’s doorbell rang and both girls jumped up screaming.

Kat wrapped the blanket around her, grabbed a bat and started towards the door.

 “Are you freaking crazy? You’re gonna to answer it?” Brenda yelled from behind the couch.

 “Be quiet!” Kat hissed and pulled open the front door.

 “Why are you guys……..” AJ started to ask and trailed off when he saw Kat with the bat in her hand. “What the hell?”

 Kat just stood there looking back and forth between AJ and Nick.

 “What are you supposed to be dressed as?” Nick asked after a few seconds.

 AJ elbowed him in the stomach before he could ask any more stupid questions and took the bat away from Kat. After motioning for Nick to close the door, he pulled Kat over to the couch and had her sit down.

 “Thanks for the heads up AJ! Are you trying to kill us?” Brenda asked sitting in one of the recliners.

 “Sorry, I was trying to surprise Kat.” He turned to his girlfriend with concern in his eyes. “Why didn’t you tell me you were sick?”

 “It just started….”

 “Liar.” Brenda said. “She’s been sick for a week now.”

 “Thanks a lot.” Kat said quietly. “It’s not as bad as it looks.”

 “It looks pretty bad.” Nick said bluntly, sitting on the arm of the couch. “You look like crap.”

 “And you’re an idiot.” Brenda said shaking her head.

 AJ ignored both of them and turned his attention to Kat. “I know you were having a rough time and we came out here to surprise you. You should have told me you weren’t feeling good.”

 “I didn’t want you to worry about it. All teachers get sick, it’s one of the benefits of the job.” she said with a weak smile.

 AJ pulled her into his arms. “I’m supposed to worry about you, that’s my job. I love you Kat. You can’t hide stuff from me.”

 “Sorry.”

 “Don’t be sorry, just tell me when stuff is happening. I would have flown out sooner.”

 Brenda watched AJ and Kat’s interaction. Even though she had reservations about Kat moving in with AJ, she had to admit that he seemed to genuinely care about her.

 Kat started coughing and AJ decided it was time for bed. Since it was late, Nick took one guest room and Brenda took the other. Everyone said goodnight and he got Kat settled into bed. He wrapped her in blankets and then pulled her tightly into his chest.

 “I hope you can get some sleep tonight Kat.”

 She snuggled closer to him. “I will. You’re here.”

 AJ smiled. “I am and I’m not going anywhere until you feel better.” He pulled her hair back out of her face and kissed her on the forehead.  “Tell me if you need anything ok?”

 “I will.”

 Kat yawned and rested her head on his shoulder. “I love you AJ.”

 “I love you too sweetheart. Try and rest.”

 He started to sing to her softly.

 I'd go anywhere for you
Anywhere you asked me to
I'd do anything for you
Anything you want me to
Your love as far as I can see
Is all I'm ever gonna need
There's one thing for sure
I know it's true
Baby, I'd go anywhere for you

 She smiled as she recognized the chorus to “Anywhere for You”. She cuddled in closer and was sound asleep a few minutes later.