- Text Size +

Dinner turned out pretty good even if the bread was a little burnt. Kat appreciated everyone pitching in and helping since she wasn’t feeling good. Nick even offered to help Brenda do the dishes although Kat had a sneaking suspicion that it’s just because he was interesting in hanging around Brenda a little more.

 They sat there and talked for a while before AJ decided that Kat needed to go back to bed. She had tried to pretend she wasn’t tired but had been yawning for about a half an hour.

 “Let’s get you to bed sleepy.” AJ said and pulled Kat to her feet. “I’m going to join her so you two can have some peace.” he said to Brenda and Nick.

 “Yeah right peace.” Kat said teasing. “Try not to have too much peace.”

 Both Brenda and Nick blushed and turned back to doing the dishes as Kat and AJ returned to her room.

 Kat crawled back under the covers and AJ slid in next to her, pulling her against him tightly. She nestled her head in his shoulder and sighed.

 AJ started to laugh. “What’s the sigh for?”

 Kat grinned. “I’m happy, it’s my happy sigh.”

 “I’m glad to hear I make you happy.” AJ whispered. “Even though I don’t sigh, I hope you know how happy you make me Kat. I love you.”

 “I love you too AJ.”

Kat kissed him and they fell asleep a few moments later.

 ---------------------

 Kat was feeling better the next day and decided that she wanted some fresh air so the foursome drove up to New Hampshire for the day and spent the afternoon on the beach. It was too cold to swim but it was a warm fall so it was the perfect time to just enjoy the scenery. They also drove around looking at some of the fall fairs they were having. It was nice for the four of them to spend time together.

 Kat leaned her head against AJ’s shoulder in the backseat. Brenda had offered to drive since her car was the roomiest. Of course that meant that Nick had to ride in the front seat to keep her company.

 “Those two are cute together aren’t they?” Kat whispered knowing that Brenda would kick her ass if she heard that statement.

 “They are.” AJ laughed. “She seems to have backed down on wanting to strangle him all the time. They’re even agreeing on the same radio stations.”

 Brenda caught their eyes. “What are you two whispering about back there?”

 Both of them started laughing. “Nothing!” Kat said, sounding like the kid who got caught in the cookie jar.

 “Yeah right.” Nick said. “You’d better not be talking about us.”

 Brenda turned beet red and looked at him. “Us? Hang on a second buddy. There is no us.”

 “Sorry, I forgot. There’s no us.” Nick said with a smile on his face.

 Brenda just shook her head and went back to driving.

 “I told you.” Kat said to AJ with a smile. “Give them a little time and see what happens.”

 “Maybe you won’t be the only moving to Cali.” AJ said and went back to cuddling with Kat.

 ----------------------------- 

Brenda and Kat were going back to school the next day but AJ was still concerned because Kat wasn’t a hundred percent better. He and Nick decided to hang around another day or two and they would go into Boston to see one of the producers they worked with. Getting some writing done would keep them busy while the girls were at work and would give them some new material to work with.

 “So,” AJ said on the car ride in, “things seem to be getting good for you and Brenda huh?”

 Nick shoved him. “We’re not a couple dude. I like her but she lives out here and she thinks I’m too young for her.”

 AJ shrugged his shoulders. “Things change. Look at me and Kat. I was a jackass to her but she forgave me.”

“That’s completely different J. You and Kat love each other. Brenda and I are just in that crush phase. It’s not a big deal.”

 “Alright.” AJ responded. They arrived at the producer’s office and spent the afternoon working on some new songs.