- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Sorry for the slower updating. Thank you to Sapphire, Jordanslady, Rainbowbrite006 and Hazel_85 for reviewing. You guys are great! Keep them coming!

Brenda and Nick were gone by the time Kat and AJ woke up. Brenda knew that the two of them would need some time together before they headed back the next day so she left a note saying that she took Nick out to do some exploring.

 “She took Nick huh?” AJ asked with a smile.

 “Yup.” Kat laughed. “She’ll drag him around to some places she wants to see before we leave. He’ll be exhausted by the time they get back.”

 “I hope she feeds him while they’re out because I don’t want to deal with a tired, hungry Nick. It won’t be pleasant for any of us!”

 “I’m sure Brenda knows that and she’ll make sure he eats.”

 “Good.” AJ said sliding his arms around Kat’s waist and kissing her neck. “I want to us to be able to enjoy the day together, just the two of us.”

 “Sounds like a good plan.” Kat said with a smile, turning to face him. “What did you have in mind?”

 A grin spread across AJ’s face. “I have a few ideas, most of which consist of us not leaving the bedroom.”

 Kat pretended to look shocked. “No! The bedroom? You never want to do anything in the bedroom.”

 “Very funny!”

 She chuckled. “I’ll make you a deal. We can stay in bed for most of the day but I planned a nice dinner for us down by the water. Is that ok?”

 “I’m supposed to be planning stuff!”

 “Well too bad. I get to surprise you this time.”

 “I thought you said you hated surprises?”

 “I said I hated them being sprung on me not that I didn’t like springing them on other people!”

 “Can I at least pay?”

 “Absolutely not! It’s my surprise for you not the other way around.”

 AJ just shook his head knowing that this wasn’t an argument he’d win.

 “Fine. What time do we need to leave?”

 “By 4:30.”

 “Ok.” He swept Kat up in his arms. “I’m going to use these next few hours wisely!”

 --------------------------

Brenda and Nick pulled into the driveway a little after 5 and found AJ’s truck gone.

 “Finally.” Nick said loudly.

“Huh?” Brenda looked at him with a quizzical expression.

 “The two of them are gone! We don’t have to leave the house to hang out. The babysitters have left the building!”

 Brenda laughed. “They’re not that bad Nick.”

 “Yes they are!” Nick said with a chuckle. “We’ll be lucky if they don’t try to get us married before you guys head back!”

 “Kat wouldn’t do that to me!”

 Nick just looked at her.

 “What? I don’t want to get too involved and Kat knows that.” She watched as he just stared at her and she finally realized how that came out. “She wouldn’t try to marry me off not that she wouldn’t stick you with me.”

 Nick smiled and shook his head. “It’s a good thing you cleared that up. I was starting to get a complex.”

 “Oh no, I wouldn’t want you to do that!” Brenda said with mock concern and a gleam in her eye.

 “Wow, the sarcasm is overwhelming.” Nick walked over to the fridge. “Think we can grab dinner soon?”

 “I hate you.”

 Nick turned around with surprise.

 “You’re a damn toothpick and you eat everything in sight. You suck.”

 “That’s not all I do.” he replied with a smile and started to walk over to her.

 “Uh-uh, stop right there!” she said holding up her hand. “AJ may be able to pull the crap with Kat and get somewhere but there’s no chance it’s gonna work on me. Let’s go get dinner.”

 Nick grinned and grabbed her hand pulling her towards the door.

 --------------------

 AJ was touched when they reached the beach and found that Kat had set up a romantic picnic. He was used to being the one to plan all the surprises and to go out of his way to please someone else. Seeing all that Kat had done made him love and appreciate her all the more.

 “Do you like it?” Kat asked hesitantly, standing at his side and biting her bottom lip. She was concerned because he hadn’t said anything.

 AJ turned to face her. “I love it. And more than that, I love you.” He leaned in and kissed her gently.

 Kat beamed. “Good, I’m glad.”

 She pulled him over to the blanket and started rummaging through the basket she had set up. It took her a few seconds to find what she was looking for.

 “One more surprise.” she said and handed him a small box.

 “You’re not supposed to be buying me stuff Kat. I want to….”

 “I don’t want to hear how this is your department Mr. Romantic. I wanted to get this for you and I’m hoping you like it.”

 AJ untied the ribbon and opened the top of the box. Inside lay a silver charm on a silver chain. The charm was a small skull with a rose curled up behind it so that you could see the petals through the eyes. He ran his finger around the edge and turned it over and over in his hand.

 “I don’t know what to say.”

 “If you don’t like it…..”

 AJ cut her off with a kiss. “I love it.” He undid the clasp, put it around his neck and kissed her again. “Thank you. Not just for the necklace, but for the picnic, coming out here, agreeing to move your entire life out here. I can’t tell you how happy you make me.”

 He stood up and pulled her with him. Cupping his hand under her chin, he whispered, “I love you Kat Brady.”

 “I love you too AJ.”

 He grinned and ran his hand down the side of her face. “Can I have this dance?”

 “There’s no music.”

 AJ wrapped one arm around her waist and took her hand in the other one. “I can fix that.” He started humming the music for “As Long As You Love Me.” He pulled her in tighter and swung her around, lifting her off the ground.

 “How’s that?” he asked quietly.

 “Perfect.” she answered with a smile and kissed him softly. “Absolutely perfect.”