- Text Size +

AJ and Nick took the girls to the airport early the next morning. Kat and Brenda needed to be back for work the next day and Kat was putting her house up for sale later that week.

 “Are you sure you have to go back? Can’t you just stay here?” AJ asked glumly.

 Kat shook her head. “You know I have to work till January.” AJ still looked at her sadly. “I promise the next two months will fly by. You’re still coming out for Christmas and New Year’s right?”

 “I wouldn’t miss it for the world.”

 Kat smiled. “I know it seems like forever but it’s just a few more weeks and then you can stay for a week with me.”

 The prospect made AJ grin. “I’m looking forward to a quiet week with you.”

 “Don’t forget about me!” Nick said putting his arm around both of them.

 “What do you mean you?” AJ asked staring at him.

 “I’m coming with you.”

 “I don’t think so! I want a week for just Kat and me, not you, Kat and me.”

 “Don’t worry, he’ll be staying with me.” Brenda said returning from the check in counter. She looked over and Nick and shook her head. “Although I may regret it when I get done buying all the groceries!”

“Hey, I told you I’d do that when we fly out here!” Nick said loudly.

 Brenda chuckled. “Ok Hollow Leg. I’ll let you pick up the tab.”

 “Thanks.” he said, kissing her on the cheek. He turned to face AJ. “Now can I come?”

 “As long as she gets stuck with you and not us!”

 “Thanks AJ!” Brenda said whacking him on the arm.

 “Sorry but you picked him!”

 “Thanks a lot!” Nick said smacking his other arm.

 “Help me!” AJ said and darted behind Kat. “Keep these two away from me!”

 Kat laughed. “Alright children, let’s all behave now.”

 The agent at the counter called for the boarding of their flight and the mood suddenly went south. Brenda pulled Nick off to the side to talk to him and to give AJ and Kat a moment to themselves before they had to be on the plane.

 AJ wrapped his arms around Kat’s waist and pulled her in tightly.

 “Promise you’ll call me when you land?” he whispered into her ear.

 “I promise. I love you AJ.”

 “I love you too.”

 He hugged her again and kissed her softly at first and then deepened the intensity. They made the final boarding call and Kat turned to leave.

 “I love you AJ. I’ll call you when we get back home.” Kat hated seeing the look in his eyes every time she left. There was such sadness in them and it broke her heart.

 “I love you too! Be careful!”

Nick joined AJ and waved as the two of them watched Brenda and Kat board the plane. Once the door to the boarding gate was closed, Brenda put her arm around Kat’s shoulders.

 “I know it’s getting harder to leave him but just think that in a couple of weeks, he’ll be out here for a while.”

 Kat nodded her head but tears formed in her eyes. Brenda stopped her and gave her a giant hug.

 “Love you chica. I promise everything will be fine, ok?”

 Kat nodded again and followed her friend onto the plane not knowing how many more times she could do this.

 ----------------------

 Nick practically had to drag AJ back to the truck.

 “Man, you’ve gotta get past this. You’re going to see her in a couple of weeks and she’s gonna move out  a month later. You act like you’re not going to see her again.”

 “I don’t mean to.” AJ said quietly. “It’s just that I’m so much happier when she’s here. It’s like I feel more comfortable when she’s with me. I’ve never had that before Nick.”

 “I know.” Nick said nodding. And he really did know. He remembered all the miserable relationships J had had and how many girls he wished J wouldn’t have wasted as much time on. Kat was really the first woman in AJ’s life that he actually, truly liked and respected. Most of the others just wanted something from him whether it be money or fame or whatever.

 “Look, let’s go find the guys and we’ll go play golf or something. We’ll keep you busy until you get sick and tired of us, k?”

 AJ smiled and climbed into the truck. “Sounds good Nicky.”