- Text Size +

The week deadline was two days away and Kat wasn’t any closer to figuring out what she was going to do. She had kept up her conversations with AJ but even he had started to notice that she was acting funny.

 “Hello?” Kat answered her phone without looking at the caller ID.

“Hi beautiful.”

 “Hi AJ.”

 “What’s up?”

 “Not much, just got some packing to do and some school work to work on. I probably shouldn’t stay on too long.”

 AJ sighed. “Look Kat, if I did something wrong, you need to tell me. We’ve always been honest with each other. And to be completely honest, you’re acting really strange.”

 “It’s nothing AJ. Just stressed and tired.”

 “Have you called the doctor?”

 “No, I will. Tomorrow ok? I really should get going ok. I love you.”

 “Love you…” was all AJ could get out before the call was disconnected.

 ----------------

 “What the fuck is going on over there?” AJ said to Nick who had been listening in on the conversation. They were trying to complete some recordings and AJ had taken a break to call Kat.

 “Maybe she’s just stressed like she said.”

 “You don’t believe that shit any more than I do. When have either one of us been so busy that we couldn’t talk to the other one? Something is definitely going on and I don’t like not knowing.”

 Nick just shrugged his shoulders. “Brenda hasn’t said anything to me about it.”

 “Would she?”

 “Yeah, if she thought it was going to cause you two issues. She’s pretty straightforward like that.”

 AJ sat there for a few minutes. “You don’t think she’s breaking up with me do you?”

“Absolutely not! You guys are terrific together and I know she loves you more than anything. Why do you think she’s packing up her whole life to come out here with you?”

 “I’m just worried. Something’s off.”

 “Let it go for now J. Let her finish what she needs to out there and if things are still going left when she gets here, then sit her down and figure something out.”

 “Easier said than done Nicky.”

 “I know but what else are you going to do?”

 “Nothing I guess.”

 Nick stood up and walked towards the booth. “Let’s just get this song done and we’ll head over to Bri’s for dinner.”

 “K.”

 -----------------------

 Brenda decided she had enough. This whole situation was driving Kat crazy and she was going nuts as a result. She entered the guest room and flopped down on the bed.

 “We need to talk.”

 “Not now Brenda. I have stuff ….”

 “Don’t give me that bullshit! Ever since that conversation you’ve stopped doing anything. You’ve given up packing, you’re barely functioning at work and when you get home, you come and hide in here. Something has to give Kat.”

 “What?! What has to give? My life is falling apart and I have no idea how to stop it!” Kat yelled.

 “Don’t yell at me! I didn’t do anything to you!”

 Brenda felt bad instantly as she watched Kat burst into tears and sink down to the floor with her head in her hands. She slid down next to her friend and pulled her into her arms.

 “I wish I could do something for you Kat. Anything. I want you to stop hurting.”

 “You can’t help me.” Kat said quietly through her tears. “No one can help me.”

 Brenda was so angry seeing her friend like this. She wanted to go find that woman and throttle her!

 “I will do whatever it takes. I’ll help you strangle whoever you want and I’ll even hide the body for you.”

 Kat chuckled a little. “I can actually see you doing that.”

 “Hell yes I would! I would do anything for you chica. I want to help you but you need to tell me how.” She paused for a few seconds. “How much longer do you have?”

 “Two days. I have to make my decision before then.”

 “Do you want some help with it?”

 “No. I think I already know what I have to do.”