- Text Size +

Chapter 15 I Better Not Be Hearing Things

***Kalie’s Point of View***

                “Did you hear that?” I asked.

                “Hear what?”

                “I thought I heard someone call out our names.”

                Heather shook her head, “No I didn’t hear anything.”

                “I must be going crazy then.”

                “Being out in this storm will do that to anybody. I thought I saw someone with a flashlight before but I think my eyes were just playing tricks on me.”

                We reached the parking lot of the hotel just as the rain started to fall heavier again.

                “I’ll go try the side doors because you need a key to get in. Oh wait that key is in my wallet which is in the inner pocket of the jean jacket you are wearing.”

                I chuckled as I got the hotel key out of the wallet, “This whole body switching is weird.”

                “You know it,” Heather laughed.

                “I’ll keep your wallet with me because there is nowhere to put it in your, I mean, my outfit.”

                “Yeah that’s a good idea,” she said smiling after looking again at my body that she got switched into and the show outfit I was wearing.

                “I’ll go check the front door,” I said as Heather walked toward the side door.

                I pulled on the double doors then tried the revolving doors but both were locked. The entire lobby was dark and I doubted that someone was anywhere near the front desk or the lobby for that fact. Plus the thunder started again and even though I banged my fists louder on the glass there was no way anyone could hear me. My body started to shake again.

                “The key isn’t working in any of the side doors,” Heather said as she walked back to me. “I guess the power has been knocked out all over this block.”

                I dropped to my knees and started to feel tears roll down my face.

                “Kalie what’s wrong?” Heather knelt down beside me.

                “What if no one finds us?” I sobbed. “I don’t know how much longer I can stay out here in the dark and cold and I think I’m going to have a heart attack if the thunder and lightning doesn’t stop soon!”

                “At least we are inside out of the rain now and we have some light.” The only light we had was the dull red glow of the two exit signs but she was right; at least we weren’t in the complete dark. Heather got up and extended her hand out to me, “My car is right over here by the exit sign. We can go sit in there and get warm. I just remembered that I have blankets in the trunk too.”

                As I was about to take her hand, I heard something.

                “Did you hear that?” Heather said.

                I nodded my head.

                She raced toward the opening of the garage and stood there looking outside.   

***Heather’s Point of View***    

                The rain had stopped and it started to become a little lighter outside. I squinted my eyes and saw two dull beams of light. Then I heard what I have wanted to hear all night.

                “Heather! Heather where are you?!”

                I couldn’t believe my ears. It can’t be. I better not be hearing things.

                Then I heard another voice scream, “Kalie! Baby it’s Nick!”

                Then the clouds started to part and I could see Nick and Rich running across the street.

                “Kalie they’re coming! Our boys are coming! They were looking for us after all! They’re here!” I turned to her and I saw her eyes light up. I felt tears form in my eyes as the boys’ voices got louder and the lights suddenly turned back on.

                “We’re both over here! Kalie and I are over here! We’re over here!” I shouted joyfully back.

                I was so happy to see Rich. His face was filled with concern mixed with relief that he had actually found me. I forgot about how mad I was at him. I wanted nothing more than to have him hold me in his arms. I could feel tears of joy start to build in my eyes as I smiled and choked on the lump in my throat.

                I opened my arms and started to walk toward him but Rich ran right past me. It was Nick who ran into my opened arms and engulfed me in an excited hug as I stood still in confusion.

                Nick expressed how happy he was to see me and how scared he was that I was outside alone as the hurricane raged on. He said that he feared the worst and how he could finally breathe now that he found me. He kissed almost every inch of my face before settling down for a moment to just hold me.

                I was confused as to why Nick was acting this way toward me, just another one of his fans who had just met tonight, and why Rich was worrying over Kalie who was still sitting on the floor behind me with her knees curled up to her chest.

                Suddenly it hit me. How could I forget? I questioned myself. I’m not in the right body and neither is Kalie. They don’t know who we really are. If only they knew they are fretting over the wrong girls.                   

                I turned my head to look at Kalie. We were both crying tears of joy that we had finally been found but our faces shared the same look of slight panic. She didn’t have to say a word because that look told me that she was thinking the same thing I was thinking; how are we supposed to get back into our own bodies?