- Text Size +

Chapter 17 Faster, Faster, Faster!

***Kalie’s Point of View***

                I looked at Heather and asked with a shaky voice, “So how are we going to do this?”

                “Well,” she started, “We were both running at a good speed when we knocked into each other, so how about we start on opposite ends of the block and just run as fast as we can right into each other? And as we do, cross our fingers and hope it works.”

                I gulped and nodded my head, “Ok. Let’s do it and get it over with.”       

                I started to walk toward my starting point when Nick grabbed my arm and swung me into his chest. He lifted my chin up so I could look into his eyes.

                “I’m right here waiting for you. I want my Kalie back in her own body.” 

                “I do too baby.”

                He kissed my cheek and squeezed my hand. It felt like he transferred some of his strength to me even though I was still scared. I could tell he was scared too by the way he kissed me. Or maybe he just felt awkward kissing Heather’s skin.      

                I started walking to the other end of the block and lifted my eyes up toward the sky, “Grandma, Grandpa, please let this work.”

***Heather’s Point Of View***

                I looked into Rich’s eyes before I walked in the opposite direction of Kalie. I could see the disbelief in his eyes.

                “You still don’t believe all of this, do you?”

                He shook his head, “How can I? I mean this entire night has been crazy. Now my girlfriend and my best friends’ girlfriend are claiming that they have somehow switched bodies while they were locked out in a hurricane? Do you know how crazy this sounds?”

                I raised my voice a little bit, “I do know how crazy this is Rich but why else would I know the answer to those questions? Plus that’s not the only thing that was crazy tonight. What the hell got into you?! You slammed a door in my face and became mad at me over nothing!”

                I suddenly forgot how happy I was that he had actually come out in the storm to find me.

                He opened his mouth to speak but I cut him off, “You know what, I don’t have time to argue about this right now. Kalie’s waiting for me and trust me she can’t wait out here any longer.”

                I walked away from him without another word. My eyes rose toward the sky and I thought out loud, “Mom, please let this work.”

                I was becoming upset thinking about the possibility that our plan wouldn’t work and then I heard Rich’s voice scream out, “Violet, I’m sorry!” I convinced myself that I was only my wishful thinking making me hear his voice in my head. I just continued walking.

******

                Both girls could feel they’re hearts pounding as they stood for a second before starting their run towards each other. Their heartbeats quickened as their speed increased; faster, faster, faster!

                The boys were waiting with great anticipation while the girls ran at full speed down the block. Rich and Nick both figured Heather and Kalie would collide right in front of them and they were right.

                Just as they collided a blinding flash of lightning streaked across the sky and a defining clap of thunder erupted. From Nick and Rich’s view it looked like the lightning had struck the girls they loved the most. They started to run but it felt like they were moving in slow motion as the girls fell to the ground.    

                Heather and Kalie could feel themselves fall in slow motion. Before they hit the ground, each girl saw a strange blue glow float over their bodies and a quick feeling of breathlessness overcame them followed by what felt like a zing of electricity flow along their spines.

                When they hit the ground they didn’t feel any pain. They could hear the mixture of Rich and Nick’s voices begging them to wake up. They could also hear the ambulance and police car sirens approaching. Nick and Rich alerted the officers as to where they were.

                Moments later the girls were lifted into the ambulance. The EMTs tried to convince Nick and Rich to follow in separate cars but they refused. The EMTs stabilized Kalie and Heather as Nick and Rich held their hands silently praying the girls would wake up in their own bodies.

                Throughout this whole ordeal Heather and Kalie were aware of everything going on around them; they could hear their boyfriend’s/fiancé’s voices, the sound of the sirens, could feel the rain hitting their skin lightly, the gentle touch of their loved one, and every single bump and turn made by the ambulance. They just couldn’t react at all. Each girl tried their hardest but they couldn’t whisper a single word or lift a finger. Each girl tried with all of their might to wake up but exhaustion soon took over and they fell into a deep sleep.