- Text Size +

Chapter 4 Could Be Twins

                Being true to his word Rich called the tour manager, Jenn, the next morning.

                “Hey Jenn.”

                “Hello Rich! How was your day early arrival home?” the tour manager asked cordially.

                “It felt so good to surprise my girl and spend some alone time together before we picked up her friend from the airport. How did the last show go without me?”

                “It went off without a hitch luckily. But everyone missed you.”

                “I have to be honest I didn’t miss working,” Rich laughed.

                Jen chuckled, “You were with your girl, and nobody can blame you.”

                “I have one quick question.”

                “And that would be?”

                “What’s going on for Saturday’s show with this hurricane coming?”

                “Well down here it’s been raining but it’s the usual Southern rain. What’s the latest weather report you’ve heard for up by you?”

                “It’s supposed to hit NYC Saturday sometime at night. But it’s been beautiful up here and there should be some other wind storm to push it out to sea. If we do get anything it’ll only be rain and maybe some wind but nothing horrific.”

                “Well we should be in NYC by the morning and we’ll be staying at the hotel across the street from the arena. And as of now we can’t reschedule another concert in NYC so I’m praying the weather holds up.”

                “I highly doubt it’ll be serious. The worst that can happen is we get rain and that’s it. But Heather and I booked a hotel room at the same place you are staying at for after the concert anyway.”

                “Alright. Keep me posted with the weather reports. I’ll see you in NYC. I would talk longer but my cell phone is dying.”

                “Alright Jenn I’ll see you on Saturday then.”

                “Bye Rich.”

*KAILE’S POINT OF VIEW*

                “We might have a slight rescheduling problem,” Jenn said after she got off the phone.

                “What’s the matter Jenn?” Howie asked.

                “Hurricane Irene might make land fall while we are in NYC.”

                “Would we be able to reschedule?” Brian asked. “I don’t want the fans to get stuck in a hurricane just for us.”

                “I agree with Brian,” AJ added in.

                “I don’t think there will be any time to reschedule one in NYC, but Rich told me that it is very unlikely the hurricane would be anything more than just rain. He says the weather has been perfect and Saturday is supposed to be nice with the chance of rain.”

                “Are we still going to New York?” I asked getting a little nervous.             

                “Yes we are. New York hasn’t had a full out hurricane in years. Hurricanes up north are nothing like what we get in Florida, Kayl,” Jen informed me but it didn’t work too well.

                Nick wrapped his arm around my shoulder and brought me closer to him so he could whisper in my ear, “Don’t worry baby, I’ll be there to keep you safe.”

                I absolutely hate hurricanes! Correction I hate any type of storm. But I hate hurricanes the most. Once when I was about 13 I was left home alone in a hurricane and the power went out. I was so scared that I ran two blocks in the driving rain, unbelievable wind, and terrifying thunder and lightning to Nick’s house. At first they didn’t let me in because they couldn’t hear me but I kept screaming at the top of my lungs and finally Mr. Carter looked out the window to find me crying hysterically on their front step.

                Mr. Carter ran out to me and carried me inside. Mrs. Carter ran up to the bathroom and grabbed a bunch of towels and started drying me off. She sent BJ up to her room to get me a dry change of clothes. Mr. Carter sat me down on the couch and cradled me in his arms to sooth me like any father would sooth his own daughter. Nick dried my tears gently. I stayed at the Carter’s for the night and Nick was the one who comforted me the most until my parents came home.

                Ever since then I have been terrified of storms. Nick remembered that night vividly like I have and he has always been strong and comforting making sure I wouldn’t have another panic attack like that night.

                He kissed my cheek and brought me back from that horrible night. He flashed that cute smile of his at me knowing that I was thinking of that night. He started stroking my hair and his gentle hands reassured me even more.

                So our journey up north to New York continued. And it seemed like at every mile marker I prayed that Hurricane Irene would move out to sea and never touch New York City.

                Finally two days later we reached New York and everyone was glad to get off the bus and into their own hotel room. And to my happy surprise it was a beautiful day.

                Nick and I walked hand in hand out of the bus together.

                “See babe, nothing to worry about. It’s perfect summer weather out here.”

                “But weather can change in a split second honey.”

                “Oh Kayl just relax. Like I said to you on the bus when Rich called, I’ll be here to comfort you. And if the storm happens during the concert you won’t be able to hear it anyway. You would never know it’s going on in the first place. That’s if the storm will even come.”

                I smiled up at him trying to hide my fear of the storm but it didn’t work. My fear couldn’t hide from Nick.

                He and I stepped into the hotel lobby and he lifted my chin up so we were looking into each other’s eyes, “I won’t ever let you get locked out in a storm again. I know how much that scared you all those years ago. But there’s no need to be scared while I’m around. How about we go up to the room and get some room service, take a nap or rent a movie or whatever you want to do. We have a long while to wait for the show. I can help get your mind off of the storm.”

                “That sounds good baby,” this time when I smiled at him he kissed my cheek and smiled back.

                “Are you ok Kalie?” Jen asked.

                “I’m ok. Just a little tired. I didn’t get that much sleep in the last two days. I’ve been having weird dreams lately.”

                “If you want to take the night off tonight feel free too.”

                “No Jen I’ll be fine. I’ve got plenty of time to nap before the show and a bed that is not in motion is calling my name.”

                Jen smirked, “Alright then, here’s your room cards. Your room is 228.”

                “Thanks Jen.”

                “Go get some rest.”

                “I’ll make sure she gets all the rest she can,” Nick wrapped his arm around my waist and we walked to the elevator together.            

                Once we got up to the room Nick and I unpacked the outfits we would need for the show then ordered room service. We curled up on the couch next to each other and watched TV as we ate.

                “How about we have some dessert, babe,” Nick brushed back my hair so he could kiss my skin that was left bare from the shirt that was designed to hang off of my shoulders. He was sending chills down my spine as his kisses traveled up my neck and onto my temple.

                I gently pressed my hand onto Nick’s chest and stopped his kisses.

                “Can we just watch a movie or take a nap please? I didn’t get too much sleep at all last night thinking about Hurricane Irene. Can we save “dessert” for some other time? I don’t want to be tired for the show tonight sweetie.”

                Nick looked at me and rubbed his thumb under my eye, “You do look exhausted baby. And to be honest I didn’t get much sleep last night either.”

                “We have like three hours to catch up on lost sleep,” I rubbed my tired eyes.

                “Let’s go lay down. A three hour nap sounds good to me.”

                We got off the couch and went into the bedroom together. Nick plopped down on the bed first and I lay down next to him. I rested my head on his chest and he wrapped his arms around me. It didn’t take me long to fall asleep but I didn’t stay a sleep for as long as I wanted to.

                I dreamed of the upcoming show. The usual routine was followed for a concert night until this unfamiliar woman pushed me out of one of the back doors and locked me out. Just as she locked the door, looked out the window and smiled a devilish grin at me, the winds picked up, lightning struck dangerously close to me, thunder rumbled and rain poured down on me. I became panic stricken. I begged for this woman to let me back in but she just laughed then walked away. I started screaming frantically for someone to let me in and I banged my fists against the door.

                It turned out that I was hitting Nick in reality. He woke up and grabbed my hand before I could punch him in the gut again.

                “Kalie, sweetheart wake up,” Nick said calmly but with a strong voice over my screams of, “Please let me in!”

                I woke up with wide, panicked eyes.

                “What did you dream about baby?” Nick gently held my face in his hands and turned my head slowly to look into my eyes.

                “This random bitch threw me out in the hurricane and locked me out. I begged for her to let me back in and she just smirked at me and walked away. I don’t even know her but it was like she knew I was terrified of storms.”

                “It was just a dream baby. It’s not even raining now. Come here,” he laid back down and patted his chest for me to lay back down too, “let’s go back to sleep.”

                As I laid back down he kissed my forehead and whispered in my ear, “I’m here baby. I promise I’ll keep you safe.”  

                  He stroked my hair and held me protectively in his arms and I wasn’t afraid anymore.

                After our nap Nick woke me up with a kiss and we started to get ready to head across the street for the show. When we stepped out of the elevator an expected group of people were checking in at the front desk.

                “What are you four doing in NYC?!” I called out very excitedly.

                “KALIE! NICK!” my best friends Michelle and Crystal screamed and ran toward me. Their husbands Chris and Dan picked up their hotel keys and calmly walked behind their wives with big grins on their faces.

                My besties grabbed me into an exuberant group hug and Chris, Dan and Nick did that hug that guys are not “embarrassed” to do in public.

                “So what are you guys doing here?!” I asked again.

                “We wanted to see the ring!” Michelle smiled widely.

                “You couldn’t wait until I got home?” I laughed.

                “Of course not!” Crystal giggled. “Now come on let’s see it!”

                I extended my hand showing off the beautiful diamond.

                “It’s gorgeous!” they said at the same time. “Congratulations!”

                They pulled me into another hug then turned to Nick and hugged him.

                “Congrats you two,” Dan smiled then gave me a kiss on the cheek.

                “It took you long enough Kaos,” Chris joked then he too kissed my cheek.

                “What can I say,” Nick shrugged. “I had to wait for the right moment.”

                “So what are you four really in NYC for?” I questioned looking at the four faces I loved to see.

                “Nick told us he was going to propose,” Dan spilled. He was always the one who spoke the truth first.

                “He was actually going to propose at the show in Orlando but he chickened out,” Chris added.

                “Really babe?” I grabbed Nick’s hand.

                “Yeah. I was going to get down on one knee after She’s A Dream or This Is Us but I realized it wasn’t the right place or time,” he looked into my eyes and grinned.

                “So that’s why my entire family and all my besties were there and watched us so intently.”

                “Well that was a big part of why we were there,” Crystal said, “but mainly we wanted to see you live out your dream dancing on stage with Backstreet! Duh!”

                “And we are here today to watch you really fulfill your dream!” Michelle grabbed my shoulders, “You’ll be dancing on a New York City stage!”

                “I know!” I grinned back excitedly. It had always been my dream since I met a Broadway dancer that my dancing coach Diangela knew.

                “Not to mention we all wanted to hear how Kaos proposed,” Chris added in.

                “You all wanted to hear how I proposed?” Nick was shocked.

                Chris blushed a little bit, “Yeah, Dan and I want to hear the story too.”

                Nick laughed slightly, “Married life has made you two soft hasn’t it?”

                I smacked him on the arm.

                “I was just joking!” Nick laughed.

                “Come on Kay! How did he propose?!” Michelle asked impatiently.

                “Ok chill down. I’ll tell ya. After that show, we climbed into the top bunk together on the tour bus and he recited the lyrics to Two Is Better Than One to me and slipped the ring on my finger,” I answered simply with a grin.

                The boys nodded their heads in approval. My girlies were stunned.

                “What’s wrong?” I raised my eyebrow.

                “You got engaged…” Michelle stumbled with her words, “on the bus.”

                I nodded my head.

                “Really?” Crystal said to Nick, “The tour bus doesn’t sound so romantic to me. I figured you would’ve taken her to some fancy restaurant at least.”

                “You figured wrong,” Nick answered. “I didn’t want to be in some public place where there was the possibility of the paparazzi showing up and I wanted it to be simple but romantic.”

                “But a bunk bed on a tour bus does not sound romantic at all,” Michelle almost screamed.

                “Mich chill, maybe I should explain it again,” I waited for the almost mad look on Michelle’s face to diminish as she focused on me, “He helped me into the top bunk and we were snuggling in the dark when he started telling me that he changed his mind on something. That thing was marriage. He asked me to marry him, I was in complete shock so I flicked on the light to see the ring and that’s when I knew he was serious. And that’s how he proposed.”

                I smiled brightly as I grabbed Nick’s hand and Crystal clasped her hands together, “Awe! That’s so cute! And that is so Nick!”

                “That is cute,” Michelle agreed, “And Tally is right that is totally something Nick would do.”  

                “Geez don’t seem so excited over it Girlies,” Nick teased.

                “Oh we are very excited for you two!” Crystal exclaimed.

                “Yeah we are very excited for you both!” Michelle added. My besties engulfed us in a group hug to show us their excitement.

                “How about we go out to lunch just the six of us to celebrate?” Chris suggested.

                “Now?” Nick asked.

                “Yeah why not?”

                “We would love to but Kay and I have to head across the street to get ready for the show.”

                “Oh that’s right. Well we’ll see you backstage then after we bring our stuff in to the rooms.”

                “Yeah get yourselves settled then come on over.”

                “I’m so happy you showed up!” I hugged my besties again. “We’ll see you in a little bit.”

                Nick and I walked across the street hand in hand to the concert hall.

****MEAN WHILE****

                “I still cannot believe I am in New York City!” Melina exclaimed as the car pulled into the hotel’s parking garage.

                “I still can’t believe we are going to meet the Backstreet Boys!” Carly said excitedly.

                The girls joined each other in a joyous scream.

                Rich chuckled, “You five aren’t excited at all huh?”

                “Not at all!” Heather joked back.  

                “You girls nearly blew out my ear drums.”

                “Awe I’m sorry baby,” she kissed the patch of skin right next to his ear. “Does that feel better?”

                “Yes thank you. I’ll just make sure I’m not anywhere near you when I do introduce the Boys to you.”

                “No I think you’ll have to stand behind your girlfriend because she’ll probably faint when she gets introduced to Nick,” Kelshie said.

                “Yeah you’re right,” he agreed. “And then I’ll lose all confidence in myself because she’ll be thinking of no one except Nick Carter for a week.”

                “Baby!” Heather wrapped her arms around his neck, “I’ll only be thinking about him for one day and then tomorrow I’ll go back to thinking about no one but you.” She giggled then stuck her tongue out at him. 

                “Gee I feel so much better now.”

                “I love you!” she said in a babying voice.

                “Come on let’s go check into our rooms then we’ll come back for the bags.”

                Just as Rich and the Backstreet Buds walked into the hotel lobby, Kalie and Nick were walking out.

                “Oh my God it’s Nick Carter!” Kelshie exclaimed in an excited whisper.

                Heather stopped dead in her tracks when she realized her favorite Backstreet Boy and major celebrity crush was walking in her direction. Her best friends piled up behind her in shock that they were a few feet away from Nick Carter.

                Rich continued on and called out, “Hey Nick!”

                “Rich my partner in crime, what’s up?!” Nick called back.

                Heather and her Backstreet Buds were frozen but Rich grabbed Heather’s hand and practically dragged her closer to Nick. Kelshie grabbed onto Heather’s shoulder, Jess grabbed onto Kelshie’s shoulder, Carly grabbed Jess’s hand and Melina grabbed onto the back of Carly’s shirt creating a human chain of pure shock.

                Nick and Rich shook hands and Nick said, “I missed you at the last show Rich. It wasn’t the same without you.”

                “I missed being behind the DJ stand but I had to go home even if it was for just a day. I needed to see my girl,” Rich squeezed Heather’s hand and her eyes darted from her boyfriend to her celebrity crush standing right in front of her.

                “And this must be your girl,” Nick smiled at Heather.

                Rich pushed Heather a little closer and said, “Nick, this is Heather, Heather,” he chuckled, “you already know who he is.”

                Nick extended his hand, “It’s nice to finally meet you Heather. Your boyfriend has told me a lot about you.”

                Heather swallowed back her pure shock and said breathlessly, “It’s so nice to meet you too!”

                They shook hands then she introduced the Backstreet Buds, “These are my Backstreet Buds Kelshie, Jess, Carly and Melina.”

                “Nice to meet all of you,” Nick shook each of the Backstreet Bud’s hand. “And I would like to introduce you all to my fiancé Kalie.”

                Kalie stepped forward and smiled and shook everyone’s hand also.

                “I like that you call yourselves the Backstreet Buds that’s cute,” Kalie said graciously.

                “We’ve been calling each other that for as long as I can remember,” Heather answered.

                Nick and Rich kept looking at Heather and Kalie until finally Nick said to Heather, “When Kalie and Rich were first introduced to each other on tour, he said that you two look alike. And looking at you two face to face he’s right.”

                Rich said, “I was wondering why you kept eyeing my girl there Mr. Carter.”

                “Oh Mr. Lani I didn’t mean anything by it. It’s just that you are right, Kalie and Heather do look a lot alike,” Nick defended himself.

                The Backstreet Buds looked at Heather then at Kalie then back at Heather then back at Kalie and exclaimed, “My God you do look alike! You could be twins!”

                “I guess we do,” Kalie laughed.

                “I guess so,” Heather smiled.

                “Well I hate to rush our meeting,” Nick spoke up, “but we have to get across the street so we have enough time to get ready.”

                “It was nice meeting all of you,” Kalie said with a smile, “We’ll see you in a little bit Rich.”

                “Yeah I’ll be right over as soon as I help the girls get their bags into the rooms. And you’ll see the girls back stage, they’ll be hanging out with us tonight,” Rich informed.

                “I would love to show them around and I’d be happy to have them hang out with me and my friends while the Boys get ready,” Kalie said.

                “Awesome,” Heather answered, “See you in a little bit.”

                “Later girls,” Nick smiled. “And Rich I’ll tell the boss you are here so she won’t scream at you.”

                “Thanks man. I’ll be over shortly.”

                Nick and Kalie waved as they walked out of the hotel and the Backstreet Buds and Rich waved back.