- Text Size +

Chapter 5 JERK!

                Heather and the Backstreet Buds watched as Nick and Kalie walked out the lobby door hand in hand still in shock.

                “Come on girls let’s go up to our rooms,” Rich said taking hold of his girlfriend’s hand and started to drag her toward the elevator. In return the Backstreet Buds linked hands with one another so they could be guided by Rich and still have their eyes on the Backstreet Boy they had just met. Their heads turned forward after Nick and Kalie slipped out of sight and blended in with the rest of the people on the New York City side walk.

                Rich looked back at the girls and chuckled at their blank faces and wide eyes, “Are you five ever going to talk?”

                They just shook their heads as a response not uttering a single word.

                “I can’t wait until you meet the other three boys,” he grinned as they entered the elevator.

                The Backstreet Buds looked at each other and smiles broke out on their faces yet they continued to be quiet.

                Heather and Rich went to their separate room and the other four girls shared their own hotel room. The rooms were connected by a common door and passage way in the closets. Kalie and Rich had just thrown their bags on the bed when Kelshie, Jess, Melina and Carly rushed through the common door and all five girls screamed!

                “WE JUST MET NICK CARTER! AND WE’RE GOING TO MEET THE REST OF BACKSTREET IN A MATTER OF MINUTES!”

                Rich covered his ears as the girls bounced around the room and continued to scream like a bunch of school girls, “Girls relax! There are other people in the hotel besides us you have to keep your voices down I know you’re excited.”

                Heather broke away from the joyous jumping circle and wrapped her arms around her boyfriend’s neck, “Have I mentioned that you are the best boyfriend ever! You are actually introducing me and my besties to the Backstreet Boys! And we already met Nick Carter!” She planted a sloppy kiss on his cheek, one she knew he wasn’t going to enjoy too well.

                She was right, because he always reacted the same way whenever she kissed him sloppily. He wrinkled up his face and wiped his cheek off quickly, “I’m re-thinking my decision about letting you meet them after that kiss which you know I hate.” He semi glared at her.

                The demeanor of all five girls changed in a heartbeat. Heathers eyes became sad and she pleaded, “Baby no! I was kidding with that kiss you know that!”

                “Come on Rich, you don’t know how long we have been waiting to meet them!” Carly begged.

                “We have been their loyal fans since the beginning!” Jess cried out.

                “Hermie,” Kelshie started, “Go get tongue tied with him or turn him on or SOMETHING! Just make him keep his promise of letting us met Backstreet. We’re all desperate here!”

                Rich laughed heartily, “I’m just joking! Geesh I’m going to introduce you to Backstreet chill.”

                Heather slapped his arm lightly, “Don’t scare the five of us like that!”

                “Oh come on! You nearly blew my ear drums off I had to retaliate somehow. Now you girls go get unpacked and ready to go across the street.

                The girls raced back into their room and quickly unpacked their things kind of haphazardly as did Heather. The five girls touched up their makeup and were ready to go while Rich was still lollygagging around. Then his cell phone rang.

                “Hey boss,” he said rather hesitantly.

                “Please get your ass over here! Nick told me you just got checked into the hotel and I know you are probably unpacking but you have to get here so we can set up,” Jen said.

                “Alright I’ll be right there I’m heading out the door now.”

                Just as Rich hung up Heather and her best friends practically ran out to the hallway. Rich shook his head as he followed.

                As they walked across the street, the Backstreet Buds couldn’t stop talking about how excited they were about the concert and the meeting of their favorite singers. Heather did most of the talking to be truthful. But she’s one of those people who show their excitement through a babbling mouth and continuous bouncing.   

                Then seemingly out of nowhere she asked Rich out of pure curiosity, “So how long have Nick and Kalie been together?”         

                “What? Are you disappointed that Nick’s taken and you can’t dump me for him?”

                “Rich!” she said taken aback. “What’s with you? I just asked you a simple question. You know how curious I am. Why would you even think that I would dump you for him in the first place?”

                “To answer your first question Kalie and Nick grew up together and she’s one of the Backstreet Dancers. They just got engaged,” he answered rather crossly.

                “Ok. Now what about my second and third questions?”

                “We’ll talk about it later.”

                “Why can’t we talk about it now?”

                “Because we’ll talk about it later, I’m already late as it is.”

                The Backstreet Buds’ eyes widened as silence fell between the couple in front of them.

                Carly whipped out her cell phone and texted out the message, “What just happened?”, and showed her best friends. The other three shrugged.

                Jess took out her phone and texted, “Knowing Heather she won’t let this little fight get in the way of her having fun tonight. I mean come on we are at a BSB concert.”

                The other three nodded their heads in silent agreement. It was a tad awkward now that Rich had some sort of stick up his ass all of a sudden. The best friends became a little concerned when Heather reached for Rich’s free swinging hand and he shoved it in his pocket to avoid the tiny public display of affection. The girls could see and feel Heather’s disappointment through her body language.

                Kelshie then took out her phone and texted, “Oh boy. Here we go. I really hope she won’t let this get in the way of having fun at this concert.”

                The lines of fans waiting to get in the venue were massive. A few fans waiting on the VIP line started to complain when the guard standing in front of the main entrance opened the door for Rich and the Backstreet Buds.

                “Why are they being let in early?” the crowd started to yell. “That’s not fair! They don’t have VIP passes!”

                “Look,” the guard’s voice boomed over the commotion, “they don’t need VIP passes because they are a part of the tour crew. Now cool your jets or I won’t let any of you in.”

                Rich called over his shoulder, “Mac I owe you big time! You just saved me from mutinous Backstreet fans.”

                The body guard chuckled, “Well the Boys need you on stage tonight.”

                Rich walked hurriedly to some unknown destination. The girls followed behind with quickened steps to keep up. Then Rich turned a corner and disappeared through an open door. As Heather turned the corner Rich slammed the door shut behind him leaving his girlfriend staring at the paper sign reading the title DJ Lani inside a gold star. Heather’s best friends gasped. They stood like statues and waited for Heather’s reaction.

                She could feel her blood start to boil and her body start to tremble. She clenched her fists and screamed at the closed door, “How dare you slam the door in my face! How dare you!” She slammed the side of her fist against the door with all of her might. “I don’t know what the fuck is up your ass but you better explain yourself by the end of the night unless you want someone who will take you in because you’re not coming home with me with this sudden attitude!”

                Her best friends didn’t say anything as they watched her rip the sign off the door and rip it to shreds.

                “Come on Hermie let’s forget him and go find out where we’re supposed to meet Backstreet,” Kelshie said touching Heather’s shoulder.

                  “Only problem is I don’t know where the hell that’s supposed to be,” she replied gruffly.

                “Is everything ok Heather?” a semi familiar voice said from behind.

                The five girls turned around to find Kalie standing there with a concerned look on her face.

                “Oh hi Kalie,” Heather said trying to cover up her anger.

                “Can I help you guys?” Kalie asked kindly.

                “Actually you can,” Kelshie answered.

                “Rich slammed the door in my face and won’t talk to me,” Heather said with annoyance in her voice.

                “I’m sorry,” Kalie winced. “Can I do anything to make you feel better?”

                Jess replied for her best friend, “She’ll feel a lot better if you could introduce us to Backstreet. Rich was supposed to but he did just slam a door in his girlfriend’s face.”

                Kalie grabbed Heather’s hand and smiled, “Come on. I’ll do more than introduce you to Backstreet, I’ll invite you five to come have a quick dinner with us and chill before the show.”

                As they walked away the Backstreet Buds looked at each other, smiled then said excitedly in unison, “You are the best Kalie!”

                They took a short walk to the room where a light dinner was waiting for the tour’s cast and crew.

                Tiffany, one of the BSB dancers, was the first to greet Kalie and the Backstreet Buds, “Who do you have with you Kayl?” Tiffany smiled at the Backstreet Buds and the other two dancers, Hanna and Sue, came closer.

                “This is Heather, Kelshie, Jess, Melina and Carly. They call themselves the Backstreet Buds. Heather is Rich’s girlfriend,” Kalie introduced them to the other dancers. Then after they all shook hands she said, “They are going to hang with us before and after the show.”

                “Where’s Rich?” Sue asked.

                “He decided to act like a jerk for no reason and as of now we’re not talking,” Heather answered simply.

                “Oh I’m sorry,” Sue said honestly.

                “Don’t be sorry. It’s not your fault. I’ll finally be able to meet the Backstreet Boys tonight with my four best friends so I really don’t care if he’s acting like this.”

                “Well there’s a way of looking on the bright side,” Hanna commented with a slight laugh in her voice, “I’m guessing you five are real Backstreet fans huh?”

                “Huge Backstreet fans since the beginning,” all five said in unison.

                The Backstreet dancers giggled.

                “Well the Boys should be here soon. In the meantime please help yourselves to some dinner. There’s not that much to choose from because we can’t eat anything really heavy before we hit the stage,” Kalie offered.

                It wasn’t long until Backstreet entered the room. And to the Backstreet Buds’ surprise Nick remembered all of their names.

                “Hey Carly, Melina, Jess, Kelshie, and Heather. It’s nice to see you girls back stage. I’d like to introduce you all to Brian, Howie, AJ and Kevin who came to surprise us tonight.”

                The Backstreet Buds excitedly shook hands with Backstreet and all five Boys gave the girls autographs and took pictures with the star struck fans. To the Backstreet Buds’ amazement they were actually able to have a full half hour conversation with their favorite singers and none of them got tongue tied. Heather was enjoying herself so much that she had forgotten about Rich’s out of character attitude until Nick asked, “Where’s DJ Lani? I thought you girls came with him?”

                 “I don’t know what suddenly got shoved up his ass but he decided to have an attitude with me and slammed the door to his dressing room in my face,” Heather answered with annoyance in her voice although she kept herself pretty calm.

                Nick winced, “I’m sorry. I didn’t know you guys weren’t talking.”

                “This just happened while we were walking here, right out of the blue. But it’s not your fault,” Heather replied.

                “Well is there something I can do to make it up to you?”

                “I’ll punch him and set him straight for ya,” Brian joked.

                “Yeah we’ll beat him up so he’ll get his attitude back to normal,” AJ kidded.

                Heather smirked, “No that’s ok. I finally got to meet all five of my heroes and I’m here with my best friends and nothing is going to get in the way of me having fun tonight.”

                “That’s the spirit!” Howie nodded his head and smiled.

                “But still I feel bad that I brought up a touchy subject,” Nick looked into Heather’s eyes, “Are you sure there’s nothing else I can do for you guys before we go to the meet and greet?”

                “Maybe there’s a song you would like to hear that’s not on the set list?” Kevin suggested.

                “Actually there is one song that we would all love to hear that you guys don’t sing live anymore,” Heather answered grinning as she looked at her best friends.

                “And what song would that be?” Howie asked kindly.

                 “Drowning!” the Backstreet Buds exclaimed.

                “Especially since Kevin is here tonight,” Heather smiled.

                “Drowning coming right up!” Nick winked at her and started a quick harmonization with his band mates while the Backstreet Buds got their cameras ready.

                After AJ ended the song Heather exclaimed, “That was fantastic!”

                “We’re glad you liked it,” Kevin smiled graciously at her.

                “Thank you so much!” Heather hugged each of the Boys one by one saving Nick for last.

                “Your number one dream finally came true Hermie!” Kelshie exclaimed. “You must be on cloud nine right now!”

                She giggled like a little girl as Nick hugged her and she answered, “Oh hell yeah I am!”

                Just as Nick released his embrace Rich walked into the room and announced, “Five minutes to meet and greet.”

                “Thanks Lani,” Howie replied to Rich’s rather unenthused call.

                 Rich didn’t say anything; he just grabbed a sandwich off the tray. Heather glanced at him and he gave her a dirty look then he headed back out the door with a rigid frame.  

                The room fell into an awkward silence as the DJ left the room. Heather rolled her eyes and the Backstreet Buds gathered around her to try and comfort her.

                Before the Boys went to the meet and greet, they formed their usual prayer circle with their dancers and DJ Lani and asked for a successful and safe show. When they broke apart Heather called out, “Good luck to all of you. Break a leg.”

                She made eye contact with Rich and said, “And I do mean all of you.”

                Rich just walked away.

                “I can’t believe he’s acting this way,” Carly said walking closer to Heather.

                “He’s being so weird! This is not like Rich at all,” Jess commented.

                “I’m sorry bloodsis,” Melina touched Heather’s shoulder.

                “Don’t be sorry. If he’s going to act this way towards me let him because I’m done. I’m fucking done.”

                “Let me see something,” Kelshie said. She walked up to Rich and said, “Good luck out there tonight.”

                He looked at her and said kindly, “Thanks.”

                That pushed Kelshie over the edge, “Oh sure you’ll talk to me but not even your own girlfriend for no reason?!” She raised her hand in a flash and smacked him right across his face. He never saw her hand coming. “JERK!”

                Everyone who was watching walked away hurriedly to where they needed to be and Kalie showed the Backstreet Buds to where they could wait for the sound check.

***Nick’s Point Of View right before the Meet and Greet***

                Once the tension died down and the Boys and I were getting ready for the meet and greet I said to my band mates, “I never expected that slap!”

                “That must’ve hurt,” AJ chuckled slightly.

                “I wonder what happened between those two,” Howie thought out loud to the group.

                Brian added in, “It must have been something bad because Rich has always been so exuberant whenever he has talked about Heather. He really loves her.”

                We nodded our heads in agreement and then just before the fans were let in for the meet and greet Rich walked on stage to set up for the sound check.

                “Hey Lani,” AJ called out. “Are you alright?”

                “What happened with you and your girl?” my curiosity just spilled out of my mouth.

                “Lay off it man it’s none of your business,” he responded dryly.

                I just shrugged it off and let him set up his DJ stand and the first group of fans was let in for the meet and greet.     

                About half way through the meet and greet Rich came over to me after two trashy looking girls walked away from us to get their seats for the sound check party.

                “Remember I told you about my drug addict bitch of a step sister and my pathetic ex girlfriend?”

                “Yeah why?” Rich had me really confused.

                “Those two that just walked away from you are Harper and Harlow.”

                “But I thought you said they were dead?!”

                “I said that it wouldn’t surprise me if they did turn up dead, I didn’t know for sure if they actually were or not but it looks like I’m wrong. Shit. My night just got 100 times better,” he said sarcastically.

                I chuckled slightly, “They look like hookers.”

                “They probably are,” he answered matter of factly.