- Text Size +

Kat called AJ just as he was finishing the last few touches on his surprise.

 “Is now a good time to come over?” she asked.

 “Sure.”

 “Do you need me to bring anything?”

 “Nah, I think I’m good.”

 “Ok.” Kat was about to hang up when AJ asked her if she could bring a bathing suit with her. “I can do that. We’ll see you soon.”

 ------------

 Kat pulled into AJ’s driveway thirty minutes later and grabbed what she needed out of the backseat. She undid Jake’s car seat and was just lifting him up when AJ opened the front door.

 “Let me help.” AJ said jogging over to grab Jake and the bag.

 “I can carry something.” Kat said with a smile.

 “I got it. No big deal.”

 Kat followed AJ into the house and was shocked by the first glance. “Holy crap AJ! Does Toys R Us have anything left on their shelves?”

 The whole downstairs had been completely baby proofed and there were clothes, toys and other baby needs all over the place.

 AJ laughed. “They do for right now. Nick helped me this morning before you guys got here. His bedroom’s all set too except for the crib. That’s coming tomorrow.”

 “His bedroom?” Kat asked with surprise.

AJ looked nervous. “I just thought maybe some night I could have him…”

 “You can have him whenever you want AJ. I’m just surprised you managed to get all of this plus a room together in one morning.”

 “I’m fast like that.” he said relaxing.

 “You definitely are.”

 AJ finished giving Kat the tour and showed her the guestroom where he’d started working on the furniture for Jake’s table and rocker. AJ saw her glance over at the other bedroom down the hall.

 “That was Ryan’s room. All of his stuff is gone but I can’t handle putting anything in there.”

“I’m sorry AJ.”

 “It’s not your fault. I’m dealing with it.”

 “I….”

 “What would you like for lunch?” AJ asked changing the subject.

 “Whatever you have is fine.”

 “Hot dogs for him, hamburgers for us?”

 “Sounds good.”

 Kat helped AJ set up for lunch and it was such a nice day that they decided to eat on the patio overlooking the pool and the ocean.

 “Wata!” Jake yelled looking at the pool. “Fwim?”

“Does he mean swim?” AJ asked chuckling.

 “Yeah, he loves the water.”

 “You brought a suit right?”

 Kat dug though the bag and found a pair of swimmers and swimming trunks. “Right here.”

 “That fits you?”

 Kat’s jaw dropped. “Huh?”

 AJ burst out laughing. “I like the color but I didn’t realize you went without a top.”

 Kat finally understood the joke and hit him with the trunks. “Funny McLean!”

 AJ was finally able to control his laughter. “I thought you’d bring a suit for yourself too.”

 “I didn’t think you meant for me to bring one.”

 “Well you know for next time then.”

 They got lunch cleared up and Jake dressed for the pool. AJ took him over to the pool and his eyes got big. There was a huge selection of pool toys lying on the lawn.

 “Did you happen to buy every floating tube too?”

 "Nah, just most of them.”

 Kat laughed and sat down next to the pool. She stuck her legs over the side and watched as AJ took Jake into the shallow end. She got some pictures of them playing around and helped AJ clean him up when he started to get sleepy.

 “I think he’s hit his limit of fun for the day huh?” AJ asked.

 “Yeah, you wore him out. I should probably get him home and to bed.” She paused for a minute. “His 1st birthday is coming up next week. Brenda and I were just going to do dinner and a cake. Do you want to come?”

 AJ hesitated for a minute.

 “Forget I asked. You probably want to do something just you guys.”

 “Can Nick come?”

 Kat was surprised by the question. “Sure, if you want.”

 AJ nodded. “Sounds good then.”

 “Ok.” Kat said smiling. “Give me a call whenever you want to see him this week.”

 “I will. Be careful going home.”

 “I will. Night AJ.”

 “Night Kat.” He started to turn around but stopped. “Mind doing me a favor?”

 “Not at all. What?”

 “Text me when you get home so that I know you guys are safe?”

 “I will. Night.”

 AJ watched as Kat got in and pulled out of the driveway. Today had gone much better than he’d thought.