- Text Size +

“Make sure you make an appointment for two weeks and that you schedule another echo.”

 “I will Dr. Anderson.”

 “I really think we should be considering all the options at this point Kat.”

 “But you said the medication was working?”

 “No, what I said was that it wasn’t getting any worse.”

 “Then that’s fine. I’ll make an appointment on the way out.” Kat said and hurried out of the exam room. She paid her copay and headed out to the hallway. She was so preoccupied with everything that she didn’t seem him leaning against the opposite wall.

 “Hey.”

Kat looked up startled. “What are you doing here?”

 “I came to talk to you.” AJ answered.

 “Why?”

 “Um because you’re doing everything in your power to avoid me.”

 “Well obviously not since you’re here.” Kat paused. “How did you know where I would be?”

 “Brenda. I think she’s getting tired of playing the intermediary for you.”

 Kat was going to strangle her when she got home.

 “How’d your doctor’s appointment go?”

 “It was fine. You really don’t need to be here. There’s nothing to be worried about.”

 That was the last straw. AJ grabbed Kat by the hand and dragged her out to the parking garage. He took her keys from her, deposited her in the passenger seat and then climbed into the driver’s side.

 “What the hell AJ?”

 “Don’t give me what the hell. Now you have to listen to me. You and I need to talk.”

 “There’s nothing to talk about AJ. Everything is…”

 “Jesus Christ Kat! Why the hell do you have to be so fucking pigheaded?” AJ yelled slamming his hand on the steering wheel.

 Kat pulled back towards the door. It was a rare occasion that she saw AJ like this and she knew he was not going to back down this time.

 “I’m sorry Kat.” AJ said calming down. “But you’re refusing to talk to me about anything even Jake. We can’t keep doing this and I’m sorry if you don’t like it but we need to be completely honest with each other. You need to know what’s going on with me and I need the same.”

 “What you need to know is whatever affects Jake. This affects me and I can deal with it just fine on my own. I have for years.”

 “I can see that. The only problem is that now there are people like Jake who depend on you. You’re his mother Kat. What if something happens to you? Don’t you think that would affect everyone?”

 “Nothing is going to happen AJ and I’m getting tired of defending myself to you. You don’t need to be so concerned; I can take care of this.”

 “Are you not listening to anything I said? I am concerned, I’m not going to stop being concerned and nothing you do can make me. You want to play stubborn? Well so can I.”

 “AJ..”

 “No. I will literally follow you around everywhere you go and whatever you do. I don’t care if I have to sleep on your porch. You are not going to keep pushing me away and pretending like this is no big deal.”

 Tears welled up in Kat’s eyes. “You don’t get it AJ, you won’t understand.”

 Seeing her cry broke his heart. “I know honey but I’m trying.”

 Kat was so upset that she didn’t even hear him call her that. “No one gets it.”

 “Someone does.”

 “Yeah who?”

 “Brian.”

 Kat stayed quiet.

 “Do me one favor and then I’ll ease up a little.”

 “You’ll back off?”

 “No, I said I’d ease up.”

 “What?”

 “Talk to Brian. If you won’t talk to anyone else, talk to him. He understands and I’ve already asked him if he would get together with you. Will you try and talk to him?”

 Kat went quiet again.

 “Please Kat, I’m begging you. Just talk to him and let him help you.”

 All AJ wanted was to help Kat and it bugged him that he couldn’t. He needed to let someone else in to help her and he was defensive about that. The problem was that there was no other way around it. She needed someone’s help.

 “Please Kat?”

 Kat wiped her eyes and nodded her head. “Fine.”

 “Hallelujah!” AJ murmured.

 “Can I have my keys back?”

 “Nope. I’m driving you home.”

 “But I agreed to talk to Brian and your car is here.”

 “And you’re still upset and I don’t want you driving. Nick can bring me back later. Put on your seatbelt.”

 AJ waited for her to get settled and then pulled out of the lot.