- Text Size +
“I can’t believe it’s going to be Christmas Eve tomorrow!”

Kat and Brenda were finishing up their Christmas shopping. It had been a few days since AJ’s surprise and Kat was still reveling in the good feelings. He had been able to bring her Christmas spirit back.

“I know. The boys are all set but I have no idea what to get AJ.”

“Are you guys gonna do the one gift thing on Christmas Eve and then the rest on Christmas?”

“Yup. And I want to get him something special.”

“He already has something special.”

“He does?”

Brenda chuckled. “Yes knucklehead, he has you and the two monkeys.”

“Funny Bren. I meant I wanted to buy him something special.”

“I think AJ has everything he needs. What can you possibly buy him?”

“There must be something.”

“I don’t know. The boy has everything you could think of and some things I’m sure no one has thought of. I can’t imagine there being anything on this planet that he wants and doesn’t already…….”

Brenda stopped when she realized Kat was no longer by her side. She turned and saw her friend standing in front of a display.

“Did you find something?”

Kat pointed her finger. “That. That’s almost perfect.”

-----------------

AJ and Nick were watching the boys while Kat and Brenda finished up their shopping. They were helping the boys finish up Kat’s Christmas gift.

“This is really cool J. I think she’s gonna like it.”

“I know she will if we can just get these guys to sit still.”

AJ and Nick were dipping the boys’ hands in watercolor paints and placing them along the edge of a white piece of cardboard. He had blown up a picture of all of them and was planning to frame it with the cardboard in the back. Unfortunately, it was turning out with AJ and Nick wearing most of the paint.

“Done.”

“Finally.” Nick said with a grimace. “Now we need to get this place completely clean before they get back.”

“I’ll take the boys upstairs and give them a bath while you clean up down here.”

“How come I get stuck cleaning up the kitchen?”

“Ok. I’ll do the kitchen. You can take these two wiggly ones upstairs, scrub them clean and change them.”
Nick thought about it for a minute. “Nah, I’ll do the kitchen. It won’t splash me!”

AJ laughed and picked up the two boys, one under each arm. “Have fun Nicky!”

“Whatever J. You owe me!”

“I know! Add it to my IOU list!”

----------------------

They managed to get the house and the boys cleaned up minutes before the girls got back. Ryan and Jake were playing with some of their toys in the living room and the guys were lounging on the sofas.

“Food’s here!” Brenda called down the hallway. “We brought pizza and salad!”

“I’m starving!” Nick said jumping off the couch.

“When are you not?” Kat and AJ asked in unison.

“Jinx.” AJ called, wrapping his arms around Kat’s waist. “Now you can’t say anything until I let you off.”

Kat nodded and mouthed something at him.

“I unjinx you.”

“Thanks.” she replied with a smile. “Now you can kiss me.”

“You play hardball woman.”

“I know.”

He leaned in and kissed her gently. Her face was still cold from being outside and it made him shiver.

“You need to get warmed up.”

“I’m fine. The temperature dropped pretty fast.”

“Where’s your coat?”

“I only took my jacket because the coat’s too bulky. I didn’t want to carry it around with me.”

“What am I gonna do with you?”

“I don’t know. You’re kinda stuck with me now.”

“I’m not stuck, I’m lucky.”

Kat grinned at him and kissed him gently. “Me too.”
Nick cleared his throat. “Hey guys the food’s getting cold. Can you hold off on the touchy feely mushy stuff till after?”

“Oh what a romantic I picked.” Brenda said sarcastically. “You really know how to ruin a mood.”

“Well I’m hungry. What do you want?”

“Never mind Nicky. AJ and I will save it for later. Let’s eat.”