- Text Size +
AJ raced back to Kat’s room with Brenda and Nick in tow. Dr. Anderson was standing by Kat’s bed making some notations on a clipboard.

“What happened?” AJ asked panicking.

“See for yourself.” Dr. Anderson replied and pointed at the heart monitor.

Kat’s heartbeat was showing signs of strength and the lines were more consistent than they had been since she was admitted.

“Whatever you said to Ms. Brady here must have worked.” Dr. Anderson said with a smile. “I’m going to say something I never get a chance to; I’m very happy that you didn’t listen to me.”

AJ had an ear to ear grin. “Thanks Dr. Anderson. She takes her sweet time doing things and I just needed somebody to remind me of that.”

“Well, tell whoever reminded you that you are very grateful.”

“I plan on it.”

Dr. Anderson shook AJ’s hand and moved towards the door. “I’ll check on her tomorrow when I get in.”

“Thank you again.”

“You’re welcome.”

AJ pulled the chair he had vacated early over to her bed and sat down. Nick and Brenda crowded around the other side.

“Hey you.” AJ said quietly. “Apparently you were listening and just holding out on us all this time.”

“You were always like that.” Brenda added, taking her friend’s hand in hers.

AJ took her other hand and kissed it gently. “You have to come back soon because I don’t know how much more of this I can take. Please do whatever you can to get back. I miss you.”

Nick walked a little closer, surprising Brenda and AJ. “We all miss you Kat and to be honest, if you don’t come back soon, I’m going to go nuts with these two.”

Brenda elbowed Nick and AJ pushed him way from the bed.

“Will you take this one home?” AJ asked Brenda.

“Gladly.” She started to pull Nick towards the door. “If anything changes, will you call me?”

“Absolutely. Go get some rest. Everything will be fine.”

------------------------

Kat awoke around midnight for the first time in days. Her head was swimming and she wasn’t sure where she was or how she got there. She knew she had wires attached all over her body and she began to panic. Looking around the room for someone, she saw AJ sound asleep on a cot a few feet away.

“AJ?”

Her voice came out so softly that she could barely hear herself. It was a struggle to get her voice much higher since she hadn’t used it in such a long time but she tried to get his attention again.

“AJ?”

It was barely audible this time and she knew she had to do something to get his attention. She noticed the remote was on the bed beside her so she pushed it ever so slightly and sent it crashing to the floor.

“What the hell?” AJ asked startled. He rolled over and saw Kat’s eyes wide open and staring at him. Rubbing his hands over his eyes, he opened them convinced that he would wake up from this dream and see Kat lying in bed. Instead, he saw her eyes sparkling with tears and the tiniest of smiles on her face.

AJ leapt out of the cot and dove for her bed. He knelt beside her and reached out to touch her face.

“Oh my god you’re awake!”

Kat nodded. “Where am I?” she squeaked out.

“You’re in the hospital baby.”

“Why?”

AJ paused before answering. He was hesitant to tell her exactly what happened in fear of her heart taking a turn for the worse from stress. “Your heart stopped working for a while and they had to get you patched up.”

Kat nodded again and AJ was relieved to see the heart monitor stay in a steady motion.

“They took care of it and you decided to sleep for a few days.”

“How many?”

“A little over a week.”

A tear ran down her cheek. “Am I ok?”

AJ looked at her and he couldn’t help himself. The tears fell and he couldn’t answer her question. Kat felt sick seeing him like this and tried to stroke his head with one hand. He put his hand over hers and pressed it to his cheek.

“I thought I lost you.” He said before the tears started again.

“You couldn’t lose me.” Kat said gently. “Even if you tried.”

“Good.” AJ said after he was able to control his crying. “You scared the hell out of me. You have no idea what the last few days have been like for all of us. It got so bad that Brenda told me off.”

Kat laughed lightly. “It must have been pretty bad.”
“It was the worst week of my life.” AJ stood up and leaned over to kiss her gently. “I can’t go through that again.”

“You won’t have to, I promise.”

“I’m going to hold you to that woman.”

“Can you just hold me?”

“Absolutely.” AJ walked over to the other side of the bed where there were less wires and somehow managed to squeeze his way through and lay down gently next to her. He draped his arm over her waist and kissed her forehead.

“I love you AJ.”

“I love you too Kat.”