- Text Size +
Chapter Thirteen: In a Gazebo


Kelsey was not the kind of girl that did stuff like... well, this.

Nick's mouth was on her neck and she could barely breathe. They'd found a gazebo a little ways away from a duck pond in front of the Parthenon. The surface of the pond was covered with sleeping ducks, their heads tucked under their wings. The moonlight shone on the water, but didn't break through the trees that surrounded the gazebo. She leaned back against the wood bench as Nick leaned over her. He put his knees on either side of her hips.

The last time she'd been in a position like this, it'd been with Luke back in Brockton the night she got pregnant. He'd been a lot more rough about it, too. He always had been rough about sex, but this - this was different. This was nice. Nick's hands were wider than Lukes, and he knew how to put them on her body. She squirmed under him and he pressed his lips along her jawline. He smelled like spices. She wrapped her legs around his.

Nick's hand slid under sher t-shirt, across the plane of her stomach. Electric sparks seemed to shoot through her entire body.

"You're beautiful," Nick muttered between kisses, "Did you know that?"

"You're just saying that," she gasped as his hand slid higher and higher across her belly until his palm slid over her bra. She was suddenly acutely aware of being outside. The Parthenon shone through the trees, though it was so dark in the Gazebo that she could only just make out Nick's face through the shadows, tinted blue by moonlight.

"I'm not, I've thought so since I first laid eyes on you," Nick said thickly.

Nobody called her beautiful. Like, ever. Kelsey's lust-level elevated and she tugged Nick's mouth onto her own and relished the taste of him. He was so delicious and boyish. Her heart raced. She wondered if he could hear it or feel it through her chest.

"God you're hot," he groaned. He slid his fingers under her bra and she gasped.

There was a rustling in the bushes. Kelsey imagined some duck getting an eyeful.

"Do you have, you know, protection?" Kelsey muttered.

"In my wallet," Nick said throatily. He kissed her neck. He couldn't believe it was gonna be this easy, couldn't believe he'd already won. He'd expected more of a fight for this, expected more of a chase, a cat-and-mouse game that would last a month or two at least. God bless the Parthenon, he thought, God bless counting sheep. God bless Kevin for waking him up.

Kelsey's hands shook as she ran them across Nick's shoulders, his fingers working on her chest like he was playing an instrument. He ducked down to kiss her stomach, planning on working his way up... he was pushing her shirt up, revealing her bra, his mouth on the soft spot just below the front clasp of her lingerie, when a flashlight suddenly shone through the dark, blinding him.

Kelsey sat up like she'd been shot at, sending Nick tumbling off the bench and onto the wood floor below.

"Shit," he groaned, and he looked up, squinting past the light, to see a uniformed security guard frowning back at him in the dark.




Desi was sitting on the end of the bed when the hotel room door creaked open at four. He'd spent the last two hours worrying and wringing his hands and playing through various unthinkable situations in his mind. She slid in the door. "Night," she whispered out the crack, and he caught a glimpse of Nick's retreating back as he went back down the stairs in the pale dawn light outside.Kelsey closed the door slowly, turning the knob before it reached the frame to save the click and then gently released it, silently.

She turned around and let out a squeak of surprise, seeing Desmond sitting up on the bed, staring at her back. "Jesus Chris, Desi, you could've said something," she gasped.

Desi waved at the door, "You were out with Nick. You could've said something. Like - I dunno - hey, Des, when you wake up at two in the morning and I'm not there, don't worry, I'll be with Nick. Or you know, anything. A note. Something."

Kelsey blushed, "I didn't even think of a note. I'm sorry, Des."

"Even taking your cell phone with you would've been helpful," he said. He stood up and threw her phone to her. He'd texted it about a hundred times before he'd found it on her bed, forgotten.

"I didn't know I didn't have it," Kelsey explained. "I'm sorry, Des."

"Whatever." He turned to the far bed and climbed in.

"I really am, I didn't think you'd care."

"You never think I'd care," he muttered.

"I didn't even think you'd notice I was gone, you were asleep when I left," she explained.

"I have a thousand heart attacks worrying about you and all you can say is that you didn't think I'd notice." Desi shook his head. "ANYTHING could've happened!"

"It's not like I'm a little kid," she said heatedly, frowning.

"You haven't left the hotel alone since we got here," he said, "You don't know your way around and the people are nice and all but that doesn't mean they aren't capable of --"

"Nick was there, I was safe," she argued.

"Yeah, I knew you were Nick because of the detailed note you left," Desi snapped. "Whatever. Goodnight." He rolled over so he was back-to her and hugged the pillows to his chest, so angry he could almost imagine what it might be like to literally foam at the mouth. He glared into the dark.

"Desi, please," Kelsey whimpered, "Don't be pissed at me. It's been a bad enough night as it is."

Desi wanted to ask why it was bad, but he didn't wanna let his anger shield down just yet. He felt completely used or forgotten or disregarded or something. Who cares if Desmond was worried, he thought bitterly, obviously not Kelsey.

"I almost got arrested," Kelsey offered.

Desi rolled over and sat up. "What? Why?"

Kelsey turned hot pink. "NickandIwereabouttohavesexattheParthenon."

Desmond blinked. "Excuse me?"

Kelsey's face was almost ruby now as she got more and more embarassed. "We went to the Parthenon, which is like really awesome by the way, and then we were talking about Icarus and the wax wings and Nick was so damn good looking and I said kiss me and he did, then the next thing I know we're in a gazebo and his hands are on my boobs and he tasted so good and then there's this cop with a flashlight and he tells us off and we ran like hell back to the car."

Desmond stared at Kelsey. He was hung up on the image of hands on her boobs, and wondering what they felt like. An intense amount of jealous rage was building in his gut toward Nick.

"So yeah it was a bad night," Kelsey said, and she threw herself dramatically on the other bed. "I don't need you being a douche about the lack of a note."

Desmond was still staring unblinkingly at Kelsey.

She looked over, "What?" she asked.

"I just -- in a gazebo?" Desmond said, "Seriously? Sex in a gazebo? Outside?"

"It was kind of sexy actually. Or it would've been if we hadn't been interrupted by a cop."

Desmond had never in his life been more thankful for a cop. He couldn't erase the image of Nick's hands on Kelsey's breasts.

He wanted to rip Nick's hands off.

Kelsey was practically neon.

"Don't judge me, I can tell by your eyes you're judging me, Truetree," she said, pointing at him in an accusing manner.

"I'm not..." he muttered.

"You so are," she laughed. She wriggled under the blankets and stared at him for a long moment. "Were you really worried about me?" she asked.

"Of course," he answered.

"Why?"

"Because, you're my Kelsey," he answered as truthfully as he could.

Kelsey's eyes were serious. "You'd be better off without me anyways."

Desmond shook his head. "That's not true."

Kelsey smiled sadly. She sighed and looked up at the ceiling. "Nick said he really likes your song," she commented.

"I'm glad," Desmond said, but he wasn't ready to give up on the topic about her being his Kelsey. "You know I really wouldn't be better off without you?" he asked. "I write songs about you all the time," he confessed.

She laughed, "All the dark and twisted, fucked up variety, right? If you write about me, you should be writing death metal songs."

Desmond stared at her. "You don't give yourself enough credit."

Kelsey closed her eyes. "I really like him, you know," she said quietly.

"What?"

"Nick," she said. She looked over at Desmond. "I really like him. He's so sweet. Do you like him?"

Desmond wanted to say not now that all I can picture is his hands on your boobs but he didn't. "Yeah he's okay," he replied.

Kelsey smiled. "He said I'm beautiful."

"I think you're beautiful," Desmond said.

Kelsey laughed. "You do not."

"Yes I do."

She rolled her eyes.

"Really."

"You're a terrible liar, Truetree," she said, and she closed her eyes again and rolled over, "I'm going to sleep."

Desmond stared at her back. "Yeah," he said, "Me too."

"If I leave again I'll leave a note this time," she promised.

"Okay," he said.

And there they laid in the dark, back-to-back in separate beds, both of them thinking about Nick's hands on Kelsey's boobs.