- Text Size +
Chapter Four: They're With Me


Desmond couldn't help but keep glancing over at Kelsey, sneaking peeks of her as the blue convertible moved through the backroads of Nashville. Tall green trees loomed high over head and filtered the sunshine, creating a cool, diffused glow that seemed to radiate off Kelsey. Her hair blew out behind her, rippled in the air as they drove , and her eyes were lit up, mesmerized, as she looked around her at the wide lawns and stone houses that were tucked into the trees. Desmond saw Kelsey the way most people saw poetry. To his eyes, she was as lyrical and beautiful as a love song. The curve of her skin spoke to him the way music did.

"These homes are so nice," she said, shouting over the movement of the air. She looked over at him, "They're like the movies, aren't they?"

Desmond nodded. They were certainly in a well-to-do area of Nashville's rural outskirts. "I wonder how many famous people we've passed by," he laughed.

Kelsey laughed in a carefree manner, catching a flyaway strand of hair with her finger and tucking it behind her ear. "Go and knock on every last door, Desi, and make a list and we'll sell a map of the stars, just like they do in Hollywood."

Desmond laughed, "Great, I'll end up arrested."

Kelsey smiled, "As long as you let me know who you find."

"I'll make sure you're my one call before they toss me in the slammer and throw away the key," he replied. She laughed and her white teeth reflected the sun, her eyes glowing, and he wondered if she'd ever understand that what he meant by that was that she would always be his one call, no matter what.

Soon the trees gave way to another area of commerce, and the buildings loomed up the edges of the road. Kelsey swiveled around in her seat, looking out the windows, and as they passed a large shopping mall with a theater and a dozen stores, she turned back to Desmond. "They have everything here," she commented.

"Its a major city," Desmond pointed out.

"So does Boston," Kelsey said, "There's more here, though, it seems."

Desmond laughed. "Variety and options so diverse you'll never make a choice again," he smirked. Kelsey was rather notorious for her lack of decision-making skills.

They pulled into the parking lot of a long, squat strip mall next to a gas station. The iconic blue awning of the Blue Bird Cafe hung from the brick alongside a hair salon and a ghetto looking thrift store. Desmond circled until he found a parking spot, and cut the engine. A line of people carrying beat up old guitars and pages of sheet music hung around the door and wrapped around the side of the building. Half of them wore cowboy boots and hats and looked the part of the desperate farm kids seeking fame and fortune while the others reeked of new-to-town and searching for a break.

Kelsey whistled low, "That's a lot of people," she commented.

Desmond nodded. "All songwriters, musicians, singers, talent seekers..." He felt a knot grow in the pit of his stomach at the thought that this gaggle of people was his competition. He drew a deep breath. He'd known before he started that everyone and their cousin came to Nashville in hopes of being discovered in the music industry - primarily the indie and country genres. But the good thing was only a fraction of them had real talent. Of course, that thought was only mildly comforting because, Desi realized, there was no real proof positive that he himself was any good. What if he was a terrible songwriter and he didn't even know it? What then?

"Are we going in or are we going to sit here all night?" Kelsey joked.

Desmond nodded and took a deep breath and climbed out of the car. "C'mon," he said, and he pulled his guitar out of the backseat. Kelsey followed Desmond across the parking lot to the doors and along the line until they turned the corner of the building and stepped up to the very end.

People had started going inside, and they inched along the wall, moving slowly closer and closer to the door. They were about ten away from entering when the bouncer standing in the doorway announced, "We're full up, people. Sorry, come back next week."

Kelsey looked at Desmond. A couple people walked away dejectedly, one guy started cussing out the bouncer, but Desmond just stood, a dumbfounded expression on his face. "Full up?" he asked, "You're kidding me. You ain't got room for just two more mister?"

"We're full up," the guy replied.

Desmond's voice pitched with an almost desperate tone, "Please, just two more."

"I dunno how else to spell this out for you, kid," the bouncer said gruffly. "We. Are. Full. Up."

"C'mon Desi, we'll come back next week," Kelsey said, and she grabbed his forearm and started leading him away.

He felt frustrated. He'd wanted to bring Kelsey out and she'd finally agreed to do something and now he couldn't get in. He'd been looking forward to getting to see some of the local talent, maybe even scoring the chance to perform one of his own songs - one that he'd written for Kelsey, in fact - but he was cut off. And so close to having made it inside, too.

Desmond was following Kelsey back across the lot toward the car when a sleek car recklessly squealed into the lot. Desmond instinctively pulled Kelsey to the side. "Fucking asshole," he grumbled and watched as the car veered into one of the spaces opened by the guys denied entry. The door swung open like the occupant was escaping a fire. Desmond was took a step forward, about to say something to the driver when he realized it wasn't just a random driver. It was Nick Carter.

Nick slammed the car door and clicked his key remote as he walked swiftly across the lot with long, purposeful strides. He'd spent the ride on I-65 into the city muttering excuses to himself: sure, it was a bar, but it was research, it was songwriters show case night. He was seeking inspiration from the unpublished up-and-comers. It wasn't going out for a drink, it was immersing himself in the art of music.

The bouncer looked up and waved, "Hey," he said, and extended his fist. Nick bumped fists with him. "How's you?" the guy asked.

"Doin' good," Nick replied. "Can I get in tonight?"

"We're full up. But for you --" he winked and reached for the door.

Nick was about to step through the door when he heard a deep voice call out, "NICK!"

He turned around and saw the guy from AA rushing toward him. He glanced at the bouncer, then back at the guy. "Hey," he said slowly, hesitantly. He was suddenly thankful for it being full up inside. This guy - what was his name? Draco? No, that was the tool from Harry Potter, fuck what was this guy's name? It started with a D, didn't it? - wouldn't be able to get inside, wouldn't be able to see Nick violate his one year chip. Again.

"Hey...." he said, dragging out the ey because he absolutely couldn't place the guy's name.

"Hey, remember me? From AA? Desmond?"

"Yeah, course man," Nick said. He knew it'd started with a D, at least.

"Hey, you going inside?"

"Yeah... yeah, I'm headed in."

"They're full up," Desi said. "Anyway you could get me and my friend in?"

Nick's eyes roamed to the person hanging next to Desmond for the first time. A girl. The girl. He felt his throat tighten. The girl smiled, her eyes soft and skin smooth... "Hey," she said, staring up at him, and she could see the reflection of wonder and excitement in her eyes that came from being starstruck.

"Hey Desmond's Friend," he smiled slowly, charmingly.

"Kesley," she said.

"What a cool name," Nick answered, "I'm Nick Carter." His eyes danced.

Desmond glanced between the two of them, at Kelsey's fascination and the intrigue in Nick's eyes and his instinct was to grab Kelsey's arm and lead her away quickly. He didn't have time though because Nick turned to the bouncer, "Hey man, they're cool. They're with me." He waved to Desmond and Kelsey, "C'mon in."

The bouncer stepped aside and Kesley followed Nick like a kitten following a trail of milk. Desmond hesitated. "C'mon, Desi," Kelsey laughed, waving him to follow her, "Don't just stand there, we're gettin' in!"

Desmond hurried after them through the doors and into the hazy interior of the Bluebird Cafe.