- Text Size +
Chapter Six: Sounds Like A Deal


Desmond's hands stilled the strings of the guitar to quiet them as he finished the last words of his third song and the room was silent, nothing but a couple snuffles and the scraping of glass on the bar. He stared around, palms soaked, heart beating. And just like that the room broke into applause.

"Thank you," Demond muttered into the microphone and he jumped up, slid his guitar back into its case and high-tailed it back to Nick and Kelsey. He'd melted into the dark of the room before the applause died away, and the owner that'd been talking to Nick before climbed on stage to introduce the last act.

Kelsey sprang herself at Desmond as he rejoined them. "Oh Desi, that was fantastic. You did marvelous," she announced, and she wrapped her arms around his neck. "I'm so glad you talked me into coming. That was incredible." She grinned up at him. "I'm proud of you."

Desmond stared down into her face, his heart urging him to kiss her.

"Brilliant," Nick suddenly injected, leaning close so he was nearly between Desmond and Kelsey, "Completely brilliant." He eyed Desmond. "You wrote those yourself, man?"

"I did," Desmond said.

Nick studied him.

Suddenly another guy in a charcoal grey suit sidled over and held out a business card to Desmond. "Hello Mr. Truetree, my name is Eric Smithers and I'm a rep from Tonic Records. We're interested in talking to you about contracting some songs for our up and comers."

Desmond took the card, "Seriously?"

"I'm sorry, Mr. Smithers, but Mr. Truetree's just been contracted through the rest of the summer," Nick said. He took the card from Desmond and slid it in his own pocket. "I'll make sure our lawyer gets your card though so Desi here can get in touch with you once he becomes free." Nick put his arm around Desmond's shoulders. "He's just become the most in-demand song writer in Nashville, haven't you heard?" Nick smiled.

"Sorry to hear that," Mr. Smithers said. He paused. "Please do get in contact with us once your current contract runs up, Mr. Truetree. We're very interested in your talent, sir." And with that, Mr. Smithers turned and walked away.

Desmond turned to Nick, "What'd you do that for? That guy wanted to give me a job."

"You'll thank me later," Nick replied. "The key to this industry is being in-demand. If you're always available for everything then you're gonna lose value real quick and nobody will wanna book you because they figure they can have you whenever they want you. If you turn a couple puppies down in the name of appearing busy, you become invaluable." Nick studied Desmond for a long moment. "Besides, Tonic isn't that big a deal."

"It isn't?"

"Have you ever heard of Tonic Records before?" Nick asked.

"Well, no but --"

Nick once again used the opportunity to put his arm around Kelsey, flipping an arm over Desmond as well just so it wouldn't be obvious what he was doing, "You got a lot to learn, kid."

"Apparently," Desmond said. He looked around, dumbfounded by the enormity of the industry. He felt overwhelmed.

"Hey tell you what," Nick said, "You write a song for me, and I'll help ya navigate the industry best I can."

"You should sponsor Desi," Kelsey spat the words suddenly.

"What?" both Nick and Desmond looked at Kelsey at the same time.

"Desmond needs help with the AA meetings and with the music industry... and Nick, you're a regular pro at both things, right?" Kelsey asked, and Nick nodded because he would've said yes to pretty much anything she asked of him, and she said, "So why don't you sponsor Desi? It's perfect. And then Desi can write a song for you and everyone's happy." She grinned.

Nick turned to Desmond. "Sounds like a deal to me," he said. And as he said the words, he pictured more nights like this, snatching away half-finished drinks and slurping them down behind closed doors. He pictured long evenings of leaning over Kelsey. "What says you, Truetree?" Nick asked, "Do we got a deal?" He struck out his hand.

Desmond nodded, "Absolutely," he replied, and he shook Nick's extended palm.

Over the next hour, Desmond was approached by no less than seven guys in fancy suits. Nick collected the business cards from them in his pocket and promised them various times that Desmond would be able to help them out - one even getting the line that he was booked straight through Christmas with projects already. Only one person was given the promise that they'd hear from Desmond that week and it was someone Nick seemed to know really well, and probably was getting preferential treatment for that reason.

The cafe drained as Kelsey sipped on a soda and watched Nick help Desmond wheel and deal through the response of the various producers and singers that were in the crowd. She looked around the room at the autographed photos, guitars, and records that hung around on the walls. She was glad she'd come along with Desmond, despite her hesitation back at the hotel when he'd suggested it.

It was nice being out and around people again. It'd been awhile... Luke had never let her go anywhere, and then she was pregnant, and then she was at the hospital, and then... She preferred not to think about the and then.

She looked over at Desmond's back as Nick talked loudly to the last couple of record company suits that had approached them, and she smiled. She really hoped that all of his dreams came true because if anyone in the world deserved their dreams, it was Desmond. He was the most unselfish, sacrificing person that she'd ever known. In fact, the only issue Desmond had ever had was drinking too much, and that was in direct correlation to always giving up the things that he really wanted for the sake of others. He'd given up going to college, for example, to take care of his father back home. He'd given up the perfect apartment overlooking Fenway Park back in Boston to run away from Luke with her, too. So now that he was here, Kelsey wanted him to have everything he ever wanted.

And Nick - she smiled at Nick, too. What a sweetheart. Though they'd just met, there was something about Nick that seemed familiar and intriguing. And not because he was a Backstreet Boy, either, it was a different sort of familiar and intriguing. The kind where you feel like you've known someone all your life even though you've only known them for a moment. The way his smile rolled across his lips, the twinkle in his eyes - these things seemed like things she'd admired forever.

Finally the boys turned back to the table as Kelsey had finished her drink and was chewing on the ice cubes on the bottom of the cup. Desmond clutched his guitar case and Nick was waving business cards like a fan. "Shit it's hot in here," he announced. He looked at Kelsey, "Are you hot?"

"I'm okay," she replied.

"Let's got outside," he suggested, turning to Desmond.

The three of them got up and headed out to the parking lot and Desmond loaded his guitar into the car and Kelsey sat on the trunk of it while Nick stood there watching Desmond load the guitar. What he really wanted was to give Kelsey a kiss goodnight, but that would be moving too fast. He had to come up with a way to see her again, and soon. He looked at Desmond's backend in the car, then turned to Kelsey.

"So did you have a good time tonight?"

She nodded.

"Good. I'm glad." He smiled. Then he said, "You're very pretty."

Kelsey blushed. "Not really," she laughed.

"No you really are," Nick said quickly. "Your skin is great." The moment the words were out of his mouth his brain started berating him. Skin? Really? That's what you're gonna compliment her on? That's really stupid.

Kelsey blinked, not sure if it was a real compliment or a fish for what sort of cleanser she used, and before she could really respond, Desmond came back from putting the guitar in the backseat. He held out a hand to Nick, "Thanks again, man. You were a huge help tonight. You don't know what all this means to me."

Nick grinned, "It wasn't a problem at all," he said.

"No man, I owe ya big time," Desmond answered.

Nick's eyes flickered to Kelsey, then back to Desmond and he said, "It's all good man." He dropped Desmond's hand as Kelsey jumped off the back of the car. "Well, y'all have a good night, I'm headed home. Bed's callin' me."

Kelsey wrapped her arms around Nick suddenly and he thought his knees might give out. She smelled like some sort of flower - maybe lavender or lilac, one of those, he could never tell them apart - and said, "Thanks, Nick. I'm so proud of Desi and you really helped him out tonight. Thank you."

Nick pet her back, electric shocks going through his finger tips at the touch of her. "No problem," he stammered.

Desmond watched uncomfortably jealous until Kelsey let go and headed around the car to the passenger side. Then he turned to Nick. "I'll see you Wednesday then, at AA."

Nick nodded. He paused. "Hey, y'all should come by my place tomorrow," he suggested. "I have a home studio. We can cut you a couple demos. Bring Kelsey. We'll barbeque dinner."

Desmond smiled, "Sounds great."

Nick reached in his pocket and grabbed his own business card and handed it to Desmond. "There ya go. Gimme a call tomorrow and I'll give ya the address and everything." He turned and walked across the parking lot to his own car as Desmond tucked the card into his hat.

Once in the car, Nick took a deep breath. He watched in the rearview mirror as Desmond and Kelsey backed out of the space and turned onto the main road. After a moment, Nick started his engine, and although to head home he should've taken a left out of the parking lot... all the bars downtown were luring him in, and he took a right and headed for trouble.

He promised himself just one.