- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

It's so nice seeing some of my old readers back! I have missed you guys! :O)

The caged bird sings
with fearful trill
of the things unknown
but longed for still
and his tune is heard
on the distant hill
for the caged bird
sings of freedom

From “I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings” by Maya Angelou

 

 

~ 4~

 

A Conversation with a lunatic

 

As they drove away from Howie and the cabin, Nick glanced back hoping that his friend would be okay alone and that maybe he would be able to escape and get help. He tried so hard to be strong, but the fear mixed with the pain he was feeling became a bit too much for him so as he turned back to face front, the first few tears streamed out of his eyes.

His hands were no longer tied behind his back. This time they were tied in front which proved to be a bit more comfortable and alleviated the pain in his side and stomach just a little bit. He was also able to wipe away the tears as they fell.

“If you promise not to scream, I’ll take the gag off.”

The last thing Nick wanted to do was make eye contact with this guy, but he was given no choice when the man grabbed his chin and forced him to look into his brown, dull eyes.

“Oh, you’re crying. Heck now I feel bad. I didn’t mean to make you cry.” He let go of Nick’s chin and turned his attention back to the very dark, unmarked gravel road which led away from the cabin.

When driving up that same road to get to their destination, Nick had a sense that something wasn’t quite right with the man who was so willing to help them. The rifle was the first clue but the weird sideways glances he kept receiving were the main ones. He was used to seeing those types of stares from people trying to place a name to his very familiar face, but this was different. It was clear the man helping them out had no clue what or who the Backstreet Boys were. That glance was something else, more like I can’t believe they actually were dumb enough to get in the car with me, type of look. He was sure Howie had picked up on it too, by the sound of his voice as he tried to strike up a conversation with the guy.

“So, what’s your name?” He had asked.

“Tim.”

“Well, thanks again Tim, we really do appreciate the help.”

“Not a problem, I’m happy to do it.”

“Wow, it sure is dark on this road. I bet you encounter a lot of deer?”

“Sometimes, but not really.”

There was more silence, “Are you the only one who lives on this road, Tim?” Yup, Howie was very nervous.

“Yup, and now we’re here.”

He said just as he pulled into a long, unmarked driveway. It seemed like forever before they actually saw the cabin. “Alright boys, welcome home!” He had said as he got out of the truck.

Nick turned to look at Howie who shrugged and said, “Let’s hope he doesn’t have anything dead mounted on the walls.” If only he had known.

Tim opened the door for Nick when it was taking him too long to move. He then reached in and grabbed his rifle just as Howie was getting out of the truck. They both followed him into the cabin not knowing what was to come next…

“So, do you promise?”

Nick looked over at Tim and nodded. He stopped the truck and motioned for Nick to turn his head so he could undo the knot. He let out a breath when the gag came out but this time, he didn’t feel the need to cough.

“Thanks.” He whispered.

“Don’t worry; it won’t always be like this. In time you won’t even need those to leave.” He said glancing down at Nick’s ropes.

“If you let us go, I promise we won’t tell anybody about you. I swear.” He didn’t’ want to sound desperate but he realized that’s exactly what he sounded like because of the crying that went along with the pleading. It wasn’t a full on cry, but shaky enough to sound pathetic, at least in Nick’s mind.

“What’s your name? I know the other one is Howie, but what’s yours?”

He took another deep breath before he answered. “Nick.”

“Well, Nick. I appreciate the offer, but the thing is… I want you and your friend to live with me. I know you probably aren’t too keen on the idea now, I get that. I mean I did hold you at gunpoint and well… tied you up which I admit isn’t the most productive way to get someone to like you, but I really didn’t see any other way.”

“Howie has a wife and two small children.” Nick sniffled.

“And what about you, you got a wife and kids?”

Nick shook his head as another wave of tears fell. “Not yet. I’m engaged though.”

“Congrats, I’m sure she’s a lovely person. I had a girlfriend once. Her name was Candice.”

Tim sounded like such a normal guy when he talked; it was almost hard for Nick to believe this was real. He didn’t act like the stereotypical lunatic you read about living in the backwoods and having sex with gophers. This guy seemed completely normal, except that he wasn’t.

“I want to see her again.” Nick confessed, thinking of Lauren with sadness and longing in his heart.

“We all want what we don’t’ have. That’s part of the human condition I suppose. How old are you, Nick?”

“33.”

“That’s still pretty young. Is your friend the same age?”

“He’s older than me.”

“I can tell. He looks out for you, doesn’t he?”

Nick nodded knowing exactly what sparked that remark.

When they entered the cabin, it looked like something you’d expect to find way out there in the middle of the woods secluded from everything. Nick glanced over to his left at the huge fireplace. Beside the fireplace was a bookcase stocked with so many books they were doubled up in places. A recliner was the only piece of comfortable furniture Tim seemed to own and it sat kitty corner between the book case and the fireplace. To the right of the front door was a very old, almost moldy couch covered with a patchwork quilt. A big black storage chest served as a coffee table that held a few more books. Against the wall and seemingly out of place was a pretty big flat screen TV complete with a five disc DVD player.

There was no separation into the very small kitchen that contained a mini fridge and an old stove, a table and a few chairs. There were two doors off the kitchen. From Nick’s angle, he could tell one was a bedroom. He assumed the other was the bathroom. There seemed to be something missing though. As he scanned the place, “Where is your phone?”

Nick could tell that Howie was thinking the same thing as he was glancing around as well.

“In the bedroom,” Tim said, motioning for Howie to go into the room and make his call. Nick felt relief just then, knowing that this nightmare would soon be over. He would be able to get his friends help and get himself checked out as well, knowing that something was really wrong. Sure Kevin would be pissed, just like Howie was when he started to figure it out, but they’d get over it. Once all was said and done, he needed to go with D. He wouldn’t have done it any other way.

The relief was short lived when he looked up to see Tim pointing the rifle directly at him. Howie came out within seconds of that happening, “I couldn’t find a…what’s going on?”

Tim never looked away from Nick as he spoke to Howie, “I need you to come over here or I will shoot your friend.”

Nick looked over at Howie, terrified at what might happen. This couldn’t be real. Things like this didn’t really happen to people. Things like this were never supposed to happen to him. Howie slowly and cautiously walked over to Tim and next to Nick. “Okay good. Now here’s the deal, you are both going to sit on the ground and not say one word!”

Howie moved quickly and did what he was told, practically plopping himself on the floor the second the command was given. Nick however wasn’t as fast to move, mainly because his brain was still trying to process the gun aimed at his heart. Tim walked over and grabbed Nick’s arm pretty forcefully and pushed him to ground. He hit the floor on his side, the one that was already hurting and cried out in pain. It’s like Howie hearing his friend hurt, forgot about the gun and rushed by Nick’s side.

Tim was not expecting that kind of reaction and grew mad, kicking Nick in the same side he just fell on. “Leave him alone!” Howie stood up at that point, mad as hell, “Can’t you see he is hurt? We were in an accident. He needs medical attention!”

Once again Tim was taken back but this time he allowed Howie to help Nick to a sitting position. “Are you okay?” D had asked, alarmed.

Nick had a hard time finding his voice. He knew he was very far from okay, but he nodded instead. “What do you want from us?” A very angry Howie asked once again turning his attention to their captor. Nick was starting to worry that his Puerto Rican temper was going to end up getting his friend killed, so he placed a loving hand on D’s leg to settle him down.

“Company.” Was Tim’s only response as he pushed everything off the black chest, opened it up and took out rope, a lot of rope.

“I wish I had someone that looked out for me.” Tim sighed, “Well….maybe in time Howie will do the same for me, although I am older than he is, Hell…” He laughed now, “Maybe I can be like the older brother and look out for the two of you.”

It amazed Nick how disconnected from reality the guy seemed, but yet as normal as normal could be. He didn’t even remotely look like a lunatic either. He was about the same size and build as Nick was. He had dark blond hair that was slightly curly and almost shoulder length. You would think living alone in the woods he would have that kind of crazy quality about him, but he was clean shaven and smelled pretty good. AJ looked more like he belonged in the cabin than this guy did. He actually wasn’t a bad looking guy either. In fact, if the two of them were seen together, he could probably pass himself off as a Carter.

Everything about this seemed so wrong.

“I’m sorry for kicking you earlier. I had no idea you were hurt. Are you feeling better?”

“Not really.”

“I am going to buy a bunch of medicine for you. Aspirin all that kind of stuff, anything else you can think of? Do you have any favorite foods? What about Howie? What does he like?”

The excitement in Tim’s voice was comical and horrifying all at the same time. He sounded like a kid who was about to have his very first sleepover. “I’m not really that worried about us, but more for my friends.”

Tim nodded, “Right, the other three.”

“Is there any way you can maybe call for help for them? They won’t have to know it’s from us, no one will have to know and this way they will be okay and you will still have Howie and Me.” Nick knew it was a long shot but he had to at least try.

He could tell that Tim was really thinking this over in his head and he grew hopeful, but then he saw the turn on his face. “Nah, I don’t really feel too comfortable about that. You know they put tracking devices on phones. No one knows about me and I’d like to keep it that way.”

Nick fought back even more tears now as he noticed the time on the dashboard clock. It was almost 8 p.m. “Please! One of my friends broke his ankle and is probably in a lot of pain. They have no supplies, including food. They might freeze or starve to death if they don’t get help soon.” When he saw Tim’s facial expression soften, he continued, “We have been gone so long, it’s been hours. Maybe we could bring supplies to them. So they could at least get through the night?”

“You want me to spend my money on your friends, and then drop off things for them? I don’t’ even know them.” He half laughed at the ridiculous request.

“You know them about as well as you know me and you have all but adopted me as your fucking pet dog or something!” Nick didn’t mean to lose his cool but he was so anxious and emotional, he couldn’t help it.

Tim’s hands tensed on the steering wheel and just for a second, Nick braced himself thinking he was about to be bitch slapped or worse, but fortunately that didn’t happen. Instead he got a surprising, “How about I’ll think about it?”

Tim glanced over at Nick and semi smiled, “If you behave yourself at the store, I’ll consider it but only because I know they mean something to you and Howie so by default, I guess that means they are important to me too.”

“Sounds fair.” Nick said, wiping at the last of his tears as they rolled down his cheeks.

The next few words out of Tim’s mouth sent chills down Nick’s spine.

“You know, I’m not a bad person, Nick. Eventually you’ll enjoy being around me and soon enough you’ll forget about your old life.”  Tim said those words just as they drove past the broken fence that led to the rolled over van.