- Text Size +
PROLOGUE


“Who’s the leader of the club that’s made for you and me? M-I-C-K-E-Y-M-O-U-S-E! Come along and sing the song and join the jamboree!”

“Thanks for being here tonight with us, Orlando! We are The Cupcakes and this is our first show ever!”

“The contract between Jive Records and The Cupcakes is hereby terminated.”

“Please rise and welcome your graduates!”

“I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may kiss your bride!”

“It’s a boy!”

“This is to certify that Amanda Clarke and Joshua Bennett are no longer joined in holy matrimony in the eyes of the Law.”

“Hello, this is Mandy from Griffin Logistics and we are conducting a research survey on behalf of – hello? Hello?”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


When we’re young, we have dreams of what our lives will be, and very seldom do they turn out that way. The dreams of fame and fortune, love and marriage that comfort the minds of children are replaced with panicked nightmares about rent, car payments and dates. Birthday cake candles are blown out year after year, but the dreams never seem to come true. However, for Mandy Clarke, her dreams did come true – for a short while. Then, as fast as they happened, they were gone.

Mandy had the childhood that few have. She didn’t spend her weekends playing softball with her friends or dangerously swinging from the monkey bars. She was learning how to sing, learning to dance and learning to be the Next Big Thing. But it was what she loved. She didn’t want to get dirty on the playground. She wanted to be a Mousketeer. She wanted to sing and dance on television and be famous. She wanted to dress in fancy clothes and go to even fancier parties. She wanted to marry a handsome man and have his beautiful babies. She wanted a big house with a swimming pool and satellite TV. She wanted it all. And momentarily, she had it all.

Mandy took her dreams for granted. She never embraced a dream coming true; she found herself living in the future, wondering what dream would come true next. She believed with all of her heart that the next dream would always top the previous one, believed that her life would continuously move forward, never back. But, as luck and life would have it, she was wrong. Or was she?