- Text Size +
Nick turned down their street to find the cops down his street.

“Nick what is going on?” Rayna asked.

“I don’t know but it doesn’t look good,” he responded. As he drove down further Nick notices that the cops were at his residence. He pulled into the driveway,” Stay here with the kids until I find out what’s going on.” Nick unbuckled his seat belt and got out of the car. The officer approached Nick.

“Mr. Carter?”

“Yes”

“I am Officer Daniels your alarm was tripped a rock went through a window in your home”

“Why wasn’t I notified?” he questioned.

“We tried calling but no answer it went straight to your voice mail.” Nick took his phone out of his pocket and noticed it was off which meant he had forgotten to charge it.

“I guess it died when I was over at a friend’s house this evening.

“No worries like I said we responded to a rock being thrown in through the window. When we got here there was no one here.” Officer Daniels explained,” Know anyone who would want to do this?”

“I don’t really have any enemies …my wife said she saw a car a few days ago sitting outside our house if you can let us put our kids to bed she can come and explain everything to you”

“Yeah that will be fine” Nick opened the door.

“So what is going on Nick?”

“Someone had thrown a rock through one of our windows they aren’t sure who it was but lets put the kids to bed and you can talk to him about the car you saw the other day. If we need to go down to the station which we probably will have too I will have Brian come over and watch the kids while we go.”

“Who would do such a thing?”

“I don’t know but let’s get these sleepy kids to bed” Nick scooped up Maddy while Rayna grabbed Darren, Hunter and Olivia followed them into the house. Nick and Rayna tucked in the kids and then went back downstairs to talk to the Officer.

“Sorry about that sir did anyone see anything?” Nick asked.

“No one saw anything since it was so late” his radio started going off,” Excuse me a moment.” The Officer walked off to answer the call.

“Nick I just don’t understand who would want to do this”

“I really don’t know Ray I am just glad we weren’t home when it happened,” he said as Officer Daniels came walking back over to Nick and Rayna.

“I am so sorry about that but it looks like my boss wants you to come down and make an official statement and fill out some paperwork. Is there someone that can come and watch your children?”

“Yeah my buddy Brian can let me go and give him a quick call.

“Again, I am sorry we have to do this”

“We understand officer.” Nick quickly got on the phone with Brian and then went down to the station.

………

Nick and Rayna traveled down to the police station where they met with the Sheriff.

“Hello I am Sheriff Cole sorry we had to drag you guys down here,” he said giving Nick and Rayna a handshake.

“It is not a problem so Officer Daniels said that you needed some kind of a statement”

“Well not exactly we didn’t want to say nothing in case this mystery person was still lurking about”

“What do you mean?”

“We believe you have a stalker Mr. Carter. Neighbors said they have been seeing a strange car parked across your house same time almost every day”

“I saw it!” Rayna blurted,” I told Nick about it and he said it was nothing to worry about and just thought I was being paranoid or something but I knew it wasn’t just anything.” She said.

“Was it a green car?”

“I think it was black but it could have been a dark green I guess.”

“Well we are prepared to keep an eye on your place for a few weeks or so just to make sure. I know you have a huge tour and stuff to get ready for and we didn’t want you to be worried while you were away.”

“I really appreciate that Sheriff” he said shaking his hand Nick and Rayna filled out the necessary paperwork for the Sheriff.

“Well I guess that’s all thank you again for coming all the way down here you guys have a good night”

“You too” Nick and Rayna hurried on home to find Brian catching up on some sports on ESPN.

“So what’s going on?” Brian asked as he turned off the TV.

“Apparently I have a stalker on my hands they said they are going to be keeping an eye out on the place for a couple of weeks to see if there is anything that pops up”

“Well do they have an idea on who it could or might be?”

“No..”

“I have a good idea,” Rayna snickered.

“Ray I am telling you its not her we would know if it were her its probably just some crazy fan or something”

“While I would love to hear you guys argue all night about this I have to get going…I will make sure to tell Leigh and I will see y’all tomorrow sometime”

“Thanks again Rok.” Brian walked out the door Rayna went and sat down on the couch and sighed,” What’s wrong?”

“Everything,” she said,” All of this is frustrating just when things are remotely getting back to the way things used to be something always happens.” Nick joined Rayna on the couch.

“Listen to me everything is going to be ok, Sheriff Cole assured us that he was going to be making sure you guys stay safe while I am on tour. It’s been a long day how about we go to bed and get some sleep.” Rayna looked at Nick looking for some kind of comfort,” I promise everything is going to be ok…let’s go to bed,”

“Positive?”

“Yes,” Nick got up from the couch and grabbed a hold of Rayna’s hand to help her up. Nick had the notion to stay up all night to catch the person who was stalking his family. As the light went dark she watched from afar knowing he went to bed.

“Don’t worry Carter you’ll be mine” she whispered,