- Text Size +
Twitter. Really? I shook my head in dismay as I waited for the app to finish downloading. It was bad enough that I had been forced to give up my BlackBerry in favour of the more “social media friendly” iPhone, but the whole concept of Twitter seemed ridiculous. Who was going to read my tweets? Of course, in order for anyone to be able to read my tweets, I was going to have to learn how to type using the iPhone’s touch keyboard. Based on the incomprehensible text message that I had just sent to Hannah, I was clearly in for a steep learning curve.

How does one even go about turning off autocorrect? I wondered.

Sighing heavily, I focused my attention on the glowing screen. According to the onscreen message, Twitter had been successfully installed. I pressed gingerly on the little blue and white bird and waited. As I paused for the registration page to load, a loud bleep emitted from the phone’s speakers. Startled, I practically launched the device into the next cubical.

“Sorry.” I mumbled, as my neighbouring coworkers looked up from their laptops in annoyance.

I still hadn’t figured out how to change the sound profile to silent. Glancing at the screen, I realized that the noise had signified an incoming text.

Hannah: I see the new phone is working out well. :P

I smiled despite my annoyance. The fact that Hannah had responded meant that I had successfully sent a text message. Sadly, I considered that to be a massive accomplishment. God, I missed my BlackBerry!

Me: Stooped thing! Can tot figure out how to tup or turn off auto carrot. I HAT this!!!

My smile faded as I struggled with the ridiculous touch keyboard. All of this nonsense for an assignment that I hadn’t even expressed any desire in obtaining. I understood that I was still relatively new, but this was beyond cruel in my opinion. They should have at least put one of the senior project managers on this assignment. They could have chosen someone who was already equipped with a “social media friendly” smart phone. Hell, they could have (and should have) chosen a male staff member. I was going to get killed!

Hannah: Dinner tonight? Harry’s at 7?

Me: Sound good1 See u at 7!

“Well at least that one was fairly legible.” I muttered to myself as I watched my response bubble up on the screen. Taking a large sip of my skinny caramel latte, I turned my full attention back to the screen in my hands. It was time to join Twitter!