- Text Size +
“Hey!” Brian said softly as he pulled open the door to his hotel room. “You decided not to stick around for the after party?”

“I wasn’t feeling it tonight.” I shrugged. “Have you and Leighanne already put Baylee to bed?”

“He’s just gone to sleep. Leighanne is still ordering people around in the Wylee trailer. She won’t be back for hours ... she never is.” Brian answered. “Do you wanna come in?”

“Yeah. If you don’t mind.” I said, moving quietly into the room.

“Why would I mind?” Brian grinned as he began leading the way towards the sitting area of the suite. “We can watch a movie if you want.”

“Have you seen the blog post? My latest one?” I blurted out.

“I have.” Brian replied, stopping mid-stride. He turned to look at me, his eyes searching my face. “I liked it. It was honest. I loved the bit about Baylee.”

“He’s a great kid ...” I offered, feeling as though he wasn’t finished speaking.

“Leighanne is a bit ... upset that you failed to comment on our relationship, but I think I know why you chose not to.” Brian added. His blue eyes were burning into mine as he spoke. “Nick told me about how she behaved in the dressing room earlier. I can only imagine what she must have said. Although, I’m sure that it was something along the lines of how we’re a perfect couple.”

“That was ... part of it.” I mumbled, trying desperately to push Leighanne’s tirade about their bedroom activities out of my mind. “Have you seen the comments?”

“Most of them.” Brian said, a flash of hurt passing through his eyes. “I’m not perfect, Amy. I’ll be the first to admit that there’s a lot of temptation when we’re on the road. I think everyone assumes that my eyes are closed because of my faith, but it’s hard to stay true when women are flaunting themselves in front of me. I may struggle sometimes, but I’ve never been unfaithful to my wife.”

“You’ve told me as much before.” I confirmed, holding his gaze. “I just feel so awful about the post. I feel like I hinted at the fact that you guys have something to hide by choosing not to say anything. I should have just included her comments. I could have prevented the nastiness. Some of the things those girls are claiming ... Leighanne is going to hate me! What if she believes what they’re saying?”

“Some of our fans have been making outrageous accusations for years. It’s not your fault. They would talk even if you hadn’t written that blog.” Brian said.

He quickly closed the gap between us and enveloped me in a tight hug. “I wouldn’t have expected you to write about something that wasn’t true.” He whispered into my neck.

“Thanks.” I murmured, relishing the feel of his warm breath on my skin as his hands moved slowly, comfortingly up and down my back.

His body was warm and still slightly damp from the shower. I inhaled the scent of his Old Spice body-wash, and I felt myself relax as I leaned into his embrace. Almost immediately, my heart began thudding wildly in my chest. Something stirred inside me and I realized, with a sudden flash of guilt, that I was now responsible for one of those hugs that had lasted just a few seconds too long.

“I should go.” I stuttered, practically forcing myself to pull away from him.

“You don’t have to go” Brian replied, pulling back only ever so slightly. He removed his hands from my back, but he continued to hold gently onto my upper arms. “I would like the company.” He added, his face still only inches from mine.

‘Leave!’ My inner voice screamed. What was wrong with me? What had started out as a silly crush was quickly spinning out of control. I had just listened to the man give a speech about how he had never been unfaithful to his wife. He was a married man! I needed to pull myself together.

“Leighanne will be finished with the Wylee trailer soon.” I protested. “I’m sure that I’m not high on the list of people she wants to see. I don’t want to make things any worse for you ... especially if she’s seen some of the forum posts”

“You don’t need to worry about her coming back any time soon. She very rarely shows up before 2:00 A.M.” Brian replied as he slowly moved his hands down my arms and towards my waist. “Amy, I’m telling you the truth when I say that I’ve never been unfaithful. Those women, the fans who try to tempt me, are beautiful, but they don’t really want to be with me. They only want to be with me because I’m famous. They want to sleep with me because they know that there will be something in it for them when they make it public; money, fame, whatever. They don’t care. All those girls want is the chance to say that they fucked a Backstreet Boy.”

I opened my mouth to reply, but I couldn’t find the words. The only thing that my brain could register was the feeling of his hands sliding slowly down my sides. I stared into his eyes, silently willing myself to pull away. His look had changed. It was no longer intense, but pleading. He was pleading for me to believe him, pleading for me to understand the choice that he was about to make, pleading for me to want him.

“I’ve seen the way you look at me, Amy.” He continued. “Did you think I hadn’t noticed that you’ve been inventing more and more reasons to seek me out on my own, to sit next to me, to touch me?”

Damn. I had thought that I had been doing a pretty good job of hiding my mounting feelings. Clearly, I had been mistaken.

“I did notice that you have yet to push me away.” I challenged, with all of the confidence that I could possibly muster.

Brian grinned, fine lines appearing at the corners of his eyes. His left hand was now on my lower back, pulling me closer to him. “I couldn’t tell you ‘no’ ... I didn’t want you to stop.” He paused, the longing in his eyes momentarily replaced by doubt. “Do you want me to stop now?”

God. What would happen if I told him to stop? What was going to happen if I didn’t? My thoughts were jumbled. My body knew what it wanted, but I desperately needed my mind to catch up. The questions swirled in my mind as his right hand finally came to rest on my waist. All I had to do was tell him to continue ...

“Brian!”