- Text Size +
AJ waited until Kevin had closed the door before he turned to face me. “My room.” He mumbled, tugging at my arm so that I had no choice but to follow him.

Turning to the door across the hallway from Kevin’s, he ripped his room card out of his pocket and jammed it into the slot. The door clicked open and he practically dragged me into the room. Once we were safely inside, AJ let go of my arm and began roughly flipping light switches and turning on lamps. I stood quietly, watching him and rubbing my wrist. His grip had been tight! As his silence lengthened, I could feel myself becoming increasingly anxious.

“Do you feel like filling me in?” AJ asked, finally turning to face me. “I saw you.” He added. “You and Brian sure looked pretty ... cozy ... when I walked in.”

“If you saw us than you know nothing happened.” I countered, desperately trying to formulate a better response.

“But something was about to happen?” AJ challenged.

“I ... ummm ... we were just ...” I trailed off.

“Shit.” AJ mumbled, losing the edge in his voice. “I knew it. Christ, Brian!”

“What? What did you know?” I asked.

“Come on, Amy! I could see it happening. I saw how he has been looking at you lately.” AJ fired back.

“Has everyone noticed?” I asked, the panic rising in my voice.

“I doubt it.” AJ said. “The fellas haven’t said anything and I haven’t shared my observations with anyone, if that makes you feel any better.”

“Not really.” I mumbled, finally moving out of the entryway and flopping onto the bed.

“What were you thinking?” AJ admonished, sitting down next to me. “He’s a married man, Amy.”

“He was instigating it!” I defended myself.

I could feel the blood rush to my face as soon as the words came out of my mouth. Had I really just blamed Brian for my unacceptable behaviour? I should have distanced myself from him. Instead, I had sought him out. Hell, I should have handed in my resignation the second that I started having feelings for him.

“Ahhhh.” AJ mused. “You didn’t seem to mind, though.”

“You’re right.” I conceded. “But nothing happened! Nothing!” I cried as tears threatened the corners of my eyes. “I’ve already made things hard enough for him with that stupid blog. What was I thinking?”

“Come here.” AJ said, pulling me against him. “It’s not your fault. The response to the blog is definitely not your fault. I saw some of the things those girls wrote. There’s no way Brian could ever be THAT freaky. Trust me, if Leighanne believes that shit than she’s even dumber than I thought.”

“It still doesn’t change what we were about to do.” I sniffed audibly and buried my face in AJ’s chest, my tears dripping onto his shirt.

“That’s not entirely your fault either.” AJ acknowledged. “I never would have pegged Brian for a guy who would go against the vows he made in front of God, but I heard some of what he was saying to you. He wouldn’t have said that stuff just to get you into bed. That’s the type of stunt I may have pulled before Rochelle, but not Brian. He’s never taken full advantage of our situation; of the fact that hundreds of girls are more than willing to sleep with him on any given night. For him to have wanted to act on his feelings for you means that he’s being genuine. It means that you’re who he wants.”

Why was AJ telling me this? Regardless of his intentions, he was actually making me feel worse. I practically wished that he was losing his mind and berating me for almost destroying a marriage. I could have gotten over that ... eventually.

“The thing is ...” AJ continued. “...nothing is going to change the fact that he’s married ... at least for right now, anyways. You don’t want to be that girl, Amy. You’re better than that.”

“What am I supposed to do? Pretend that I feel nothing? I don’t know if I can handle being around him for another two months. I can’t just forget about what he said to me!” I protested as a wave of fresh tears landed on AJ’s t-shirt.

“I’m not telling you to change how you feel. I’m telling you that you have to wait. Leave it up to Brian.” AJ said.

His response was slow and measured, but the implication was glaringly clear. My stomach flipped. AJ legitimately thought there was a chance that Brian and Leighanne weren’t going to make it.