- Text Size +
“Cancelling the show?” Howie repeated aghast. “We’re supposed to be meeting the VIP crowd in less than an hour and a half. How are we going to justify cancelling on such short notice?”

Nick merely shrugged in response. “I’m only repeating what Cassandra told me. She’s called us in for an emergency meeting in half an hour.”

“Who? All of us?” Kevin questioned. “I think we ought to at least send someone down to the venue. Toronto is one of our biggest markets. We’ll be jeopardizing a lot if we cancel this late.”

“According to Cassandra, Jason and Amy would be the ones doing damage control at the venue.” Nick replied, shooting me an apologetic glance.

“Wonderful.” I mumbled. “Those girls are going to be livid. What’s the plan? Did Cass mention if you’re rescheduling. What’s the excuse? One of you is deathly ill?”

“I dunno ...” Nick trailed off as my phone began blasting in my hands.

“Speak of the devil.” I said as Cassandra’s name flashed on the display.

“How much do you need to be filled in?” Cassandra asked, cutting straight to the chase as soon as I picked up.

“I’ve seen the picture. I know that it’s been posted on Twitter. Nick has just told me that Jason and I will be responsible for shutting down the VIP if you guys make the decision to cancel.” I quickly rhymed off the facts; the dread settling in my stomach as I spoke.

“Good.” Cassandra clipped. “I know cancelling the show is going be hell, but we’ve really got no choice. This is the last show before a two day break, so it makes sense. Obviously, we’ll reschedule and honour all tickets and VIP packages. You know the drill. I hate to do it, but I’ve been talking with some of the crew in Sacramento ... they’re fielding death threats and dealing with a media frenzy. “

“Did you say death threats?” I asked, not quite sure if I had heard her correctly.

“Yeah ... apparently the fan base isn’t taking the idea of Brian being a cheater too well. Most of the fans are saying that they want to kill the girl in the photo, but others are threatening Brian. I hate to say it, but it would have been better if it were any of the other guys in that photo. I’m not saying that the other guys are more likely to cheat, but people seem to have a soft spot for Brian. The reaction has been ten times worse than it would have been for any of the others.” Cassandra explained. “Some of the threats have been rather graphic. I won’t get into any details, but it’s becoming pretty serious. There’s no way that we can throw Brian on stage tonight. Not only would he get eaten alive by the fans, but it could lead to a disastrous situation that could tarnish the rest of the tour. We have to give this some time to blow over.”

“I suppose it’s for the best.” I conceded. “But what are Jason and I supposed to tell all of the fans who have already been waiting for hours?”

“I’ve already spoken to Jason. We’ve agreed that you guys are just going to tell them that the show is cancelled and that it will be rescheduled. Don’t take any questions and don’t make up any excuses. I’ve already got a team putting together a press release.” Cassandra instructed. “I hear that Greg’s already examining the picture. I hope to God that he comes to the conclusion that it’s a fake. Otherwise, I don’t know what the hell I’m going to do. For most celebrities, a sex scandal means jack shit, but for a boy band ...”

“Greg’s the best. He’ll figure it out.” I cut in, trying to force as much confidence into my voice as possible. “Listen, in terms of tonight’s show, Kevin was saying that it might be a good idea for at least one or two of the guys to go to the venue.”

Cassandra sighed heavily. “I suppose that would be all right.” She approved. “Ask Nick and AJ if they will go with you. Brian sure as hell can’t risk going out there, and I don’t want Kevin going because of the family connection. Howie’s just too damn sweet; he’ll jump to Brian’s defence without even thinking about what he’s saying.”

“I’m sure Nick and AJ won’t mind.” I said as I casually shifted my gaze towards them. Nick merely stared back at me with narrowed eyes, while AJ began slowly shaking his head and mouthing the word ‘no.’

“Okay. I’ll meet with the other three while you guys are at the venue. I’m just about at the hotel. It’s a good thing that I decided to fly in a few days early. I wasn’t supposed to meet up with the tour until Montreal.” Cassandra grumbled before she rung off, as usual, without saying goodbye.

“Nick and I won’t mind doing what?” AJ asked the second that the call disconnected.

“Coming to the venue with me and Jason.” I replied, flashing him an apologetic grin. “It was really Kevin’s idea.”

“Unbelievable.” AJ muttered. “Nick and I are gonna get chewed up and spit out by those women. Do you have any idea how pissed off they’re gonna be?”

“They’re probably going to be slightly less pissed off than they would be if none of you showed up.” I countered. “Two Backstreet Boys are better than none.”

“It’s fine.” Nick said, giving AJ a measured stare. He cocked his eyes in Brian’s direction to indicate that AJ should tread carefully.

I glanced quickly at Brian and saw that he was staring blindly into space. It didn’t take more than an ounce of thought to realize that he was mortified by the whole situation.

Picking up on Nick’s hint, AJ quickly took note of Brian’s misery and plastered a smile on his face. “Yeah. It’s fine.” He lied. “We’ll go down, take some pictures and try to smooth things over a bit.”

“Thanks guys.” Kevin acknowledged. “We’ll fill you all in on what happens during the meeting with Cass when you get back.”