- Text Size +
“Kev, they’re not sleeping together.” AJ came to our defence when neither Brian nor I uttered a single word.

“You!” Kevin shouted at AJ. “Don’t try to pretend like you haven’t been helping them keep their dirty little secret! I’ve seen the three of you exchanging glances, menacing stares, subtle head shakes. Do you think I’m an idiot?”

“Well you must be an idiot, because there’s nothing going on between me and Amy!” Brian shot back; finally finding his voice.

“Bullshit!” Kevin exploded. The tiny veins in his forehead were becoming more pronounced as he continued to verbally wail on his cousin. “You look me in the face and tell me that you don’t have feelings for Amy!”

“I ... I” Brian stuttered. “I ... I can’t do that.” He admitted as his eyes locked with mine.

I blinked quickly, trying to eliminate the tears that were forming in the corners of my eyes. I couldn’t believe that he had admitted to his feelings in front of everyone. If things hadn’t been so tense, I probably would have pounced on him.

“I knew it.” Kevin grimaced. “Of all the irresponsible things that you’ve done in your life, this one takes the cake. I can’t believe that you had the audacity to cry on Nick’s shoulder and tell us that you’ve never cheated on your wife when you were sleeping around literally right behind our backs.”

“I said that I have feelings for her, I didn’t say that I’ve slept with her!” Brian countered. “I was NEVER unfaithful to Leighanne. NOTHING has happened between me and Amy, aside from me telling her how I felt. Even then ... I mean ... we haven’t actually DONE anything”

“What’s happened to you?” Kevin shook his head in disgust. “Where do you get off trying to justify your behaviour with a technicality? I get it. You’re saying that you and Leighanne are separated; that you have been ever since you served her with the papers. None of that changes the fact that you’re still technically a married man. It doesn’t eliminate the fact that you were thinking about another woman while you were still laying next to your wife.”

I balked visibly at Kevin’s words. I swiped frantically at my face as fat tears began to slide down my cheeks. Everything he was saying was true. Brian and I were treading on dangerous ground.

“I can’t help how I feel, Kev.” Brian said. His voice lost its edge and his eyes softened as he caught sight of me wiping at my tears.

Kevin followed Brian’s gaze and gave me a vicious look. “You should feel guilty.” He spat. “You’re the one who encouraged this behaviour.”

I hiccupped through my tears and silently willed myself to pull it together. As I continued to sniff frantically, Lauren reached out and laced her fingers through mine. She gave my hand a hard squeeze.

“That’s not fair.” Brian argued. “I initiated things between us.”

“Of course you did.” Kevin sighed. “You’re forever the gentleman, right Brian? Even if you hadn’t started this, you would never let Amy take the fall. She’s almost ten years younger than you. Have you thought about that? Have you thought about how the age difference is practically equivalent to the age of your son?”

“For God’s sake, Kevin. That’s petty.” Brian grumbled. “We’re adults. Age is irrelevant.”

“Yeah, because you’ve clearly been behaving like a responsible adult.” Kevin snorted. “I’m going back to the hotel. Unlike you, I feel the need to speak with my wife.”

“You’re leaving?” Brian asked incredulously. “You get all hopped up on your high horse, you question my moral integrity, you make Amy cry, and now you’re leaving?”

“That’s right.” Kevin smirked. “I’ve said my piece. After all, you’re an adult. I’ll leave you to sort things out.”