- Text Size +
“I think this is the worst VIP in Backstreet history.” Jason grumbled as he counted out another group of five girls.

“Thank God that it’s almost over.” I agreed.

I watched numbly as the guys tried their best to smile and interact with the remaining fans. Despite Q and John’s attempts to keep things under control, girls had been probing Brian for information about the pictures and his divorce announcement. For the most part, the comments had been ones of concern and condolence. Of course, there had also been a handful of spiteful, biting remarks that had made Brian visibly cringe. At one point, I had actually feared that Nick was going to punch a woman in the face for making a particularly nasty comment.

All of this was compounded by the fact that Leighanne had yet to arrive with Baylee. During sound check, I had caught Brian anxiously glancing backstage every ten seconds. He was so distracted that he had actually sung the wrong verse during the beginning of Quit Playing Games. Fortunately, the guys had managed to laugh it off and the crowd had loved it. To top it all off, Kevin was still royally pissed off over the ET Canada incident. He had hardly uttered a single word to anyone during the four and a half hour drive to Ottawa, and he had maintained a steely demeanour during both sound check and the meet and greet.

“Any sign of Leighanne yet?” Jason whispered as the last of the fans were ushered away by security. “The kid is supposed to be on stage in like fifteen minutes.”

“I haven’t seen her.” I sighed. “If she doesn’t show up, I don’t know how Brian is going to be able to perform.”

We gathered up the extra VIP passes and shuffled our paperwork together before trudging across the stage. I had been hoping to speak to Brian, but Q still had all of the guys huddled together in their customary pre-show debriefing.

“Speak of the devil.” Jason muttered, nodding slightly to his left as we ducked behind the risers that were positioned on the back of the stage.

I turned and saw Leighanne walking briskly towards us. Her heels clicked ominously on the floor and poor Baylee was struggling to keep up. A wave of relief washed over me as I thought about how happy Brian would be to see his son. I didn’t think that I had ever been happier to see Leighanne’s scowling face as I was at that particular moment.

“Where is he?” She asked curtly, coming to a stop in front of me and Jason.

“I’m right here.” Brian acknowledged as he stepped up behind us. “You’re cutting it a bit close. He’s on in less than fifteen minutes.”

“I said that I would bring him to the show and I brought him.” Leighanne shrugged.

Brian opened his mouth to respond, but he stopped as Baylee ran over and flung his arms around his waist.

“I missed you.” He said, holding tight to his father.

I saw the tears well in Brian’s eyes as he bent down to hold his son. “I missed you too, Bay.”

“He can stay with you tonight.” Leighanne said, narrowing her eyes at the exchange between father and son. “I have things to do for Wylee.”

“Bay, why don’t you go and find Tommy. He’ll help you with your earpiece.” Brian suggested. He reluctantly released the tight hold that he had on his son and ushered him towards the side of the stage.

He waited until Baylee had disappeared from sight before he turned to Leighanne. “The trailer? I didn’t know that was still continuing ... given the situation.” Brian said evenly.

“Of course the trailer is here. I have orders to deliver. It’s MY business, Brian.” Leighanne reproached.

“That’s tied to my career and my financing.” Brian shot back. “We’re going to have to set some things straight.”

“Right ... your career ...” Leighanne smirked. “Have you given any more thought to what I said last night?”

“It’s all I’ve thought about.” Brian responded. “My answer is the same. I’m going through with the divorce.”

“I see.” Leighanne nodded. She took a few steps forward to close the space between them. “Are you sure? Think of everything that you’re going to be giving up.” She insinuated, pushing her chest forward and giving him a sultry look.

Brian kept his eyes locked on her face. His expression didn’t waver, even as she placed her hands on his waist and pressed her body against his.

“I know what you like, remember?” She murmured, planting a heady kiss on his lips and slowly running her hand down the front of his pants.

Jason gave me a mortified look as we both turned away. I felt my stomach flip in anger and jealousy. The thought of Brian being with anyone else, especially his soon-to-be ex-wife, made me want to vomit.

To his credit, Brian pulled away immediately and caught her hand before it reached its destination. “Stop embarrassing yourself.” He hissed. “You know as well as I do that there’s been nothing between us for a long time. How long has it been? Six months, maybe more?”

Leighanne stepped back at the harshness of his words. The anger immediately returned to her eyes as she realized that her actions had backfired. “You’ll regret this.” She promised before turning on her heel and stalking away.

“Brian?” Howie’s voice interrupted. “Baylee is all ready to go. Do you want to go out and introduce him, or do you want me to do it?”

“I can do it.” Brian replied, shaking his head as if to clear his thoughts.

“I don’t mind.” Howie encouraged, taking in Brian’s rather tortured expression.

“If you don’t mind, I guess that’s okay.” Brian approved as his gaze fell on me. “Thanks.”

“Of course.” Howie said before hurrying off.

“I’m gonna give you two a minute.” Jason mumbled. He quickly took the papers from my hands and gave me a knowing wink as he walked away.

“So, that was really awkward.” Brian mumbled. “I’m sorry. I had no idea that she would ...”

“It was hard to watch.” I admitted.

“Did it make you jealous?” Brian asked. He glanced around to make sure that we were truly alone before taking a step closer. A soft smile appeared on his face as he waited for me to respond.

“No ... a little ... yes.” I conceded as I allowed him to pull me close. “Has it really been that long?”

“At least. Probably longer.” He sighed.

“You must be gagging for it.” I teased, running my hands along his arms.

“Well ... I ...” Brian stammered.

His eyes widened as my hands began to play along the waistband of his jeans. He looked around frantically to reconfirm that no one was around as my hands dropped even lower. I grazed him lightly, teasingly before bringing my hands back up to his chest.

“What are you doing?” He whispered. His expression was one of pained desire as he gazed longingly at me.

I shrugged slightly as I locked my hands around the back of his neck. I could feel his body responding to my teasing and I grinned wildly. I initiated the kiss, but he quickly took over. I stifled a moan as he pressed his body roughly against mine; his tongue urging my lips apart as he deepened the kiss.

In the background, we could hear the song finish and Howie begin to thank the crowd on Baylee’s behalf. Brian groaned in annoyance and reluctantly ended our embrace.

“I have to get ready for the show.” He mumbled more to himself than to me. “Are you working the after party tonight?”

“Jason hasn’t said anything about needing my help.” I replied. I suddenly felt nervous as I followed his train of thought.

“Good.” Brian grinned. “I’ll see you tonight after Baylee is asleep.”