- Text Size +
“Dad? Did you and mom break up?” Baylee’s innocent words cut through the silence that had descended upon the table.

The rest of us lifted our eyes from our assorted breakfast items and stared at Brian. His face turned white as a sheet, and he stalled for a few seconds by taking a long sip of coffee. “Why do you think that?”

“You’ve been yelling at each other a lot.” Baylee replied, tearing at his pancakes with a butter knife. “Every time that Nick fights with a girl, they break up and I never see the girl again.”

“Ahhh.” Brian drawled. “Well, when your mom and I fight it’s a bit different.”

“And mom said that you were getting a divorce.” Baylee supplied. “A divorce means that you’re breaking up, right?” He set his knife and fork down on his plate and lifted his eyes towards his father. “Was mom lying?”

My heart ached for Baylee as I watched him wait for Brian to respond. Everything being considered, he was a good kid. He didn’t deserve to be caught in the middle of what was sure to become a very messy situation.

“When did mom tell you that?” Brian asked. He was clearly furious that Leighanne had revealed this bit of information to Baylee, but he did a good job of keeping his expression and his tone neutral.

“Right after we got in the elevator. Remember? After you guys yelled at each other in the hallway ...” Baylee paused. “She told me that you didn’t like us anymore and that you guys were getting a divorce.”

“Baylee, I love you. I love you very much.” Brian choked. “I don’t want you to ever think that I don’t love you, or like you. Your mom was wrong when she told you that.”

“But you ARE getting a divorce?” Baylee prodded.

Brian sighed and rubbed absently at the back of his neck. “Yes. Yes, your mom and I are getting a divorce. It has nothing to do with you, though.”

“Oh.” Baylee considered Brian’s words for a few seconds before he spoke again. “So, I will only get to live with one of you?”

“That’s right.” Brian sighed. The sheer effort of not breaking down in front of his son was weighing on him, and he cleared his throat in an attempt to hide the fact that his voice was starting to crack. “I don’t want you to think about that too much just yet.”

“Do I get to pick?” Baylee asked, ignoring his dad’s suggestion.

“I’m not sure, Bay.” Brian answered carefully. “Sometimes another person has to decide.”

“But I’ve already made a choice.” Baylee countered. “I want to live with you.”

Brian’s face crumpled with emotion. He hastily grabbed the napkin off of his lap and wiped away the stray tears that had finally managed to escape.

“Dad?! Why are you crying? I said that I want to live with you!” Baylee looked frantic as tears began to slide down his cheeks. “Don’t you WANT me to live with you?”

“Of course I do!” Brian confirmed. Even though Baylee was much too old to sit on his father’s lap, Brian quickly pulled him from his chair and cradled him in his arms. “I was worried that you wouldn’t want to live with me.”

“Oh, God, I can’t handle this.” AJ mumbled.

I turned to my left and saw AJ wiping at his eyes with the back of his hand. I handed him my napkin and he roughly dried his cheeks, before passing the napkin on to Lauren who was practically bawling on the other side of him. I used the tips of my fingers to clear my own tears, as Brian gently pushed Baylee back into his own chair.

“Sorry.” He apologized. “We’re okay now, right Baylee?”

“I have one more question.” Baylee said. He glanced cautiously around the table before proceeding. “If someone tells me that I can’t live with you, can I say that I want to live with Nick or Amy?”

“Why Nick or Amy?” Brian asked, trying to hide his smile as he took in Nick’s Cheshire cat grin and my look of astonishment.

“Well ... Nick’s super fun!” Baylee appeared to proceed with caution. “And Amy is your new girlfriend. So, if I live with her than I will get to see you every time that you come to visit her.”

“Oh, good Lord.” Kevin moaned. “Even the kid has figured it out.”

“What makes you think that Amy is my girlfriend?” Brian asked, blatantly discounting Kevin’s comment.

“I heard mom say so when she was on the phone.” Baylee answered. “And I saw you guys holding hands once.”

I blanched at Baylee’s words and gazed frantically at Brian. I could hear Lauren suck in her breath as she waited for Brian to respond.

“Mom shouldn’t be saying things like that. Do you know who she was talking to?” Brian pressed, opting to ignore the hand-holding comment.

Baylee shook his head and looked at Brian expectantly. “Well? Is she your girlfriend? I won’t be upset if she is.”

Brian opened and closed his mouth a few times, seemingly changing his mind as he tried to choose his words carefully. Finally, he took what appeared to be a calming breath and answered honestly.

“Well, I don’t think that you’ll be allowed to live with her, but you’re right." Brian said as he grinned wildly across the table at me. “Amy is my girlfriend.”

I was well aware of the fact that I was grinning stupidly back at him, but I didn’t care. I felt the same as I had back in seventh grade when Matthew Healy had announced to everyone during morning recess that we were officially a couple. Even as an adult, being given the title brought on a wave of emotion that was unlike any other feeling.

“It’s about time.” AJ smirked. He elbowed me gently in the ribs as Kevin pushed his chair back from the table.

The chair legs scraped noisily against the floor as Kevin forcefully stood up. “This isn’t a cut and dry situation, Brian. You need to start watching what you say.” His voice was measured as he tossed his napkin on the table and began walking towards the exit. “We’re leaving for Montreal in an hour. Don’t be late.”