- Text Size +
“Hey Nick.”

“Hey Addie.”

“I love the costumes.”

Nick climbed into the back of the SUV. He and Howie had decided to go with the Miami Vice theme and Addie was wearing a Cher outfit.

“Thanks. Do you want me to drive?”

Howie turned around to look at him. “Are you insulting my driving?”

“No, I’m just saying that your girlfriend is wearing um, a costume, um….”

Addie laughed and turned to Howie. “He’s concerned about you getting us into an accident cuz you’re staring at me.”

Howie blushed. “Maybe you should drive Nick.”

They all traded seats and set off to pick up Emma. He hadn’t talked to her since the fight but Addie said she wasn’t mad anymore. Hopefully, the party would lighten the mood and he could apologize for getting too involved.

Nick pulled into the driveway and offered to go up to get her. Howie and Addie were too busy flirting to even know they were there. Just as he reached the porch, the front door opened and out stepped Emma. Nick was so taken aback by her costume that he couldn’t find anything to say.

Emma was dressed as Alex Owens, Jennifer Beals’ character from Flash Dance. She was wearing a long, thin sweatshirt that came off the shoulder with a leotard underneath and her hair was up, curling around her face. Nick looked down and saw legwarmers and high heels to complete the outfit. She was absolutely beautiful and he had trouble getting any words out.

Emma blushed as Nick stared. She started to climb down the stairs carefully, hoping that her heels wouldn’t send her flying. By the time she got to the bottom, Nick was able to utter a weak hello.

“Hi.” Emma responded quietly. “I’m glad you came.”

“Me too.” Nick stuttered. He had no idea why he was acting the way he was. Both he and Emma were taken and he shouldn’t be feeling this way. “Nice costume.”

“Thanks. I’m gonna be freezing by the end of the night but it was the best idea I could come up with.”

“It’s perfect.”

Emma nodded and followed Nick to the car. He opened the door and helped her in before getting back in the SUV. Pulling out, he glanced over at Emma again and still couldn’t shake what he was feeling. It was a quiet twenty minute drive to the party and Nick was grateful to hear the loud music coming from the house. He hoped Emma wouldn’t be able to hear anything embarrassing that he might say. Once inside, Emma and Addie found their host and introduced her to the two men. They excused themselves to say a few more quick hellos and Howie took the opportunity to pull Nick aside.

“You want some help with your jaw?” Howie asked with a grin.

“Huh?” Nick looked confused.

“You need to pick your jaw up off the floor and close your mouth. You’ve been staring at her since she got in the truck.”

“No I haven’t.” Nick said protesting.

“Uh, yeah you have. There’s nothing wrong with thinking she’s cute Nick.”

“Yes there is! I’m in love with Lauren.”

Howie laughed. “You’re not cheating on Lauren by thinking someone else is cute.”

“Then why does it feel that way?”

“Because you’re a good guy Nick. Ease up on yourself a little. Emma looks cute and there’s nothing wrong with admitting it to me. It’s not like you’re telling Lauren.”

Nick sighed. “She really looks beautiful.”

“See, it doesn’t have to be so bad.”

Nick watched as some of the other men in the room starting checking her out. It bothered him and he had to remind himself that he wasn’t her chaperone.

“Jessie is a moron.”

“What?” Howie asked.

“Her boyfriend. He’s a moron.”

“Why?”

“Because he’s passing up on time with her.”

Emma and Addie returned before Howie could say anything else. Addie dragged her boyfriend out onto the dance floor and left Emma and Nick standing by a window. Neither one really knew what to say to the other one so Nick decided to just come out and apologize.

“I’m sorry for the other night. I shouldn’t have said what I did.”

“And I shouldn’t have kicked you out.” Emma responded with a smile. “It was rude and I feel badly.”

“Don’t, I deserved it. I probably would have kicked me out too.”

Nick’s comment made Emma laugh and he was glad to see her happy. He was about to say something else but he heard Journey’s “Open Arms” come on and pulled Emma out to the dance floor. She stumbled a little in the high heels but Nick held her upright.

“Sorry, should have done that a little slower.”

“No problem.” Emma chuckled. “You’re the one who’d have to pick me up anyway.”

“I would.” Nick said quickly.

“I know.”

Nick wrapped one arm around Emma’s waist and took her hand in the other. They danced while Nick sang along with the lyrics. The song ended and when the new one started, Nick began to laugh.

“What’s so funny?” Emma asked curiously.

“Do you recognize this song?”

Emma listened carefully for a moment and then nodded. Her eyes started to moisten and Nick was concerned because he didn’t understand.

“You don’t like Rick Springfield?”

“No I do. And I love the song.”

Jessie’s Girl had always been a joke between Emma and her boyfriend. He used to tell her that he wasn’t going to let anyone pull a Rick Springfield on him and steal her. It hit her right then that he hadn’t made a comment like that in years. The sad part was she didn’t really feel that bad about it.

“We can stop dancing if you want.”

“No, don’t be silly. It’s fine.”

They danced for another few songs and then Emma suggested they head out to the deck. It was getting crowded and she wanted to get some air. By the time they made their way to the porch, they were the only ones out there. The wind had gotten much stronger and it made Emma shiver so she wrapped her arms around herself as she looked out over the yard. Nick watched her shiver and slipped his coat off. He gently draped it over her shoulders and leaned onto the railing.

“It’s beautiful out huh?” he asked as she pulled his jacket tighter.

“It is.”

“Are you sure you’re ok?”

“Yeah, just caught off guard by the song that’s all.”

“I didn’t mean to make a joke of it.”

Emma laughed. “Actually the whole thing was kind of a joke. Jessie used to tell everyone that I was Jessie’s Girl and made a huge deal about it. I started to think about it when I heard the song.” Her eyes turned sad. “He hasn’t made that joke in a long time.”

“I’m sorry Em.”

“Don’t be. You didn’t do anything.”

“I know but it doesn’t make it better. He should want to be here with you tonight and not somewhere else.”

As soon as he said those words, he regretted it. He had just told her he would stay out of it and here he was, running his big mouth. Expecting her to get mad, he turned away and didn’t say anything else. Emma surprised him by agreeing.

“I know. I’ve known it for a long time. I guess you’re right and I just keep saying it’s ok so that I believe myself.”

Nick draped his arm around her shoulders and kissed her on the top of her head. “He doesn’t know what he’s missing.”

“Maybe.” Emma whispered quietly. “Or maybe he just doesn’t care anymore.”

“Then he’s a moron.”

“You sound like Addie.”

“Ever think Addie’s right?”

“I’m starting to.”

Nick’s jacket started to vibrate before he could say anything else. He slipped his cellphone out of the pocket and saw Lauren’s picture flashing on the front. Emma saw the caller id and handed Nick back his jacket. She motioned that she would be inside and he waited till she was out of earshot to answer the phone.

“Hey Lauren.”

“Hey.”

“How’s work going?”

“Ok. I told them I needed to take a few days off and I was hoping that you might be able to fly back home. We can spend time together like you wanted.”

“When are you gonna be back?” Nick asked excitedly, his conversation with Emma fading to the background.

“Tomorrow. Can you get a flight home?”

“I’ll call right now.” Nick said with a grin. “Thank you.”

“I love you Nicky.”

“I love you too Laur.”

“See you tomorrow.”

Lauren disconnected the call and Nick dialed the airline quickly. He made arrangements for a flight the next morning. When he finished the call, he turned to head back in and saw Emma talking to someone in the doorway. Suddenly he wasn’t as excited about that flight anymore.